* Re: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs
@ 2013-04-16 18:30                   ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2013-04-16 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> Unfortunately, my Android Emacs segfaults now (can't test it)

There is a known segfault related to having the font size set too
large. I forget how to fix it because I haven't been using Android Emacs
lately, but try setting the font smaller in whatever way you can.

--
David

* Re: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs
@ 2013-04-16 22:47                   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-04-16 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> Unfortunately, my Android Emacs segfaults now (can't test it) and

I found that you can get the Emacs app started without segfaulting if
you reduce the font size.  Of course, that may make the text
illegible for you... :-(

The on-screen keyboard is not ideal, of course.  My bluetooth
mini-keyboard doesn't transmit CTRL unfortunately so not very useful.

Basically, we're almost there but not quite.  It sure would be nice to
have Emacs running properly on Android just to be able to have full
org-mode on the move.  Although I'm using MobileOrg more and more, I'm
only using it for capturing notes.  I really want appointments and
everything else as well!

I've only tried Emacs on my recently acquired Nexus 4 (phone) but will
try it out on a tablet (Nexus 7) tomorrow hopefully.  Not what I want in
the long term but worth trying, I guess.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_8.0-pre-347-g4b139e

* Re: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs
@ 2013-04-23  9:05                     ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-04-23  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> I found that you can get the Emacs app started without segfaulting if
> you reduce the font size.  Of course, that may make the text
> illegible for you... :-(

Thanks to everyone sending me this tipp. It worked :-)

> The on-screen keyboard is not ideal, of course.  My bluetooth
> mini-keyboard doesn't transmit CTRL unfortunately so not very useful.

Ack.  ... Oh ... I agree. :-)

> Basically, we're almost there but not quite.  It sure would be nice to
> have Emacs running properly on Android just to be able to have full
> org-mode on the move.

I am looking forward to this!

> Although I'm using MobileOrg more and more, I'm only using it for
> capturing notes.  I really want appointments and everything else
> as well!

Same here at my side. Next, I want to test the agenda on MobileOrg
and the feature to show it on the Android calendar. This way, I want
to get rid of Google more and more which has proven to be not
reliable at all (dying Reader, dying APIs, ...).

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs
@ 2013-04-23  9:56                       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-04-23  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: news1142, emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> * Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Although I'm using MobileOrg more and more, I'm only using it for
>> capturing notes.  I really want appointments and everything else
>> as well!
>
> Same here at my side. Next, I want to test the agenda on MobileOrg
> and the feature to show it on the Android calendar. This way, I want
> to get rid of Google more and more which has proven to be not
> reliable at all (dying Reader, dying APIs, ...).

I tried out the sync to calendar option in MobileOrg.  It synced tasks
(i.e. scheduled and deadline entries) but not entries with just active
time stamps which are what I use for appointments.  In my use of org, I
have a clear distinction between tasks and appointments.  I schedule
tasks to days but not times.  Appointments are not tasks as they
disappear whether I attended them or not whereas tasks persist.

I would like active time stamps to appear in my calendar for the "at a
glance" identification of free and busy times and for reminders of when
I need to be somewhere.  I prefer to keep task information in org and
not in my Google calendar so MobileOrg's behaviour is exactly the
opposite of what I wanted unfortunately.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_8.0.1-19-g9655a1

* Re: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs
@ 2013-04-23 19:23                       ` 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2013-04-23 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>* Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Basically, we're almost there but not quite.  It sure would be nice
>> have Emacs running properly on Android just to be able to have full
>> org-mode on the move.

I've built glibc 2.17 for Android, now I compile all GNU apps natively on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note II). Using http://kumatux.org/ (my app) I can install any compiled app anywhere locally on the system, withoit messing with the underlying file structure - originally I started developing this for my laptop, but particularly useful for Android...

So, I have full Emacs (latest bzr) running on the phone. Using Hacker's Keybod app works well.

I've been upgrading kumatux.org, will probably take me a month or two, to finish the latest rebuild - I'm converting to running out of Clisp, rather than just shell scripts.

Then I'm planning to publish a guide how to build emacs natively on Android, as well an put the built tarballs somewhere...

So, we're already there! I just need to polish what I'm using, no I can then publish it. I'll try to make sure not to forget to publicize here also.

--
白い熊

* Re: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs
@ 2013-04-23 19:47 白い熊@相撲道
From: 白い熊@相撲道 @ 2013-04-23 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

@ 2013-04-23 20:16                         ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2013-04-23 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I tried out the sync to calendar option in MobileOrg.  It synced tasks
> (i.e. scheduled and deadline entries) but not entries with just active
> time stamps which are what I use for appointments.

It's working for me: I'm using the latest MobileOrg from the PlayStore
and entries with just a time stamp are synced to my Android phone
calendar. I think however it didn't use to work before, and the doc on
the github site seems to say that it's not possible.

Julien.

* Re: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs
@ 2013-04-24  7:36                           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-04-24  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>

>> I tried out the sync to calendar option in MobileOrg.  It synced tasks
>> (i.e. scheduled and deadline entries) but not entries with just active
>> time stamps which are what I use for appointments.
>
> It's working for me: I'm using the latest MobileOrg from the PlayStore
> and entries with just a time stamp are synced to my Android phone
> calendar. I think however it didn't use to work before, and the doc on
> the github site seems to say that it's not possible.
>
> Julien.

Interesting.  I'll have to try again although it's only been a month or
so since I last tried.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_7.9.3f-1199-g3a0e55

* Re: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs
@ 2013-04-24  7:55 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-04-24  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 白い熊@相撲道; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"白い熊@相撲道" <emacs-orgmode_gnu.org@sumou.com> writes:

>>* Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> Basically, we're almost there but not quite.  It sure would be nice to
>>> have Emacs running properly on Android just to be able to have full
>>> org-mode on the move.
>
> I've built glibc 2.17 for Android, now I compile all GNU apps natively
> on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note II). Using http://kumatux.org/ (my

[...]

> So, I have full Emacs (latest bzr) running on the phone. Using
> Hacker's Keybod app works well.

[...]

> So, we're already there! I just need to polish what I'm using, no I
> can then publish it. I'll try to make sure not to forget to publicize
> here also.

This is really brilliant news!  I look forward to the announcement of
your polished system.  Is it worth looking at kumatux.org now or must I
wait?

thanks,
eric