* Org release 6.01
@ 2008-04-14  6:31 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-14  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here is finally the release of Org version 6.01.

Available at http://orgmode.org

Enjoy!

- Carsten

Changes in Version 6.01
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a new major release, mostly because of structural changes
in Org.  However, since this took a while, there is also a long
list of small improvements and some new significant features.

Overview
========

    - The Org distribution has a new structure
    - New system for selecting modules to load
    - New archiving mechanism: The Archive Sibling
    - Support for Sebastian Rose's JavaScript org-info.js.
    - Internal links work now better in HTML export
    - Export commands can be done in the background
    - Flexible setting of the time block shown by the clock table
    - Clock table can be included in the agenda
    - Support for ISO week dates (ISO 6801)
    - Tag inheritance can be limited to a subset of all tags
    - Entries can be sorted by TODO keyword
    - And some more small fixes and improvements

Incompatible changes
====================

The Org distribution has a new structure

     In the distribution files as well as in the GIT repository,
     the lisp files are now located in a subdirectory "lisp", and
     the documentation files are located in a subdirectory "doc".
     If you are running Org directly from the unpacked
     distribution archive (zip or tar file, or GIT repository),
     you need to modify your settings for load-path accordingly.

Details
=======

The Org distribution has a new structure

     In the distribution files as well as in the GIT repository,
     the lisp files are now located in a subdirectory "lisp", and
     the documentation files are located in a subdirectory "doc".
     If you are running Org directly from the unpacked
     distribution archive (zip or tar file, or GIT repository),
     you need to modify your settings for load-path accordingly.

---------------

     Org-mode has now a system for loading modules by simply
     configuring an option that lists all the modules you want to
     use.  Customize the variable `org-modules'.  That variable
     lists both modules that are part of the Org-mode core (and in
     this way part of Emacs), and modules that are contributed
     packages.  Contributed modules will only be available when
     you have installed them properly (most likely by downloading
     the distribution and adding /path/to/orgdir/contrib/lisp to
     your load path).

New archiving mechanism: The Archive Sibling

     There is a new method to archive entries in the current file:
     By moving it to a sibling called the /Archive Sibling/.  That
     sibling has the heading "Archive" and also carries the
     ARCHIVE tag.  This can be a great way to do archiving inside
     a project, to get parts of the project out of the way and to
     wait with true archiving (moving to another file) until the
     entire project is done.  Archiving to a sibling keeps much of
     the context, for example inherited tags and approximate tree
     position in tact.

     The key binding for the is "C-c C-x A", and from the agenda
     buffer you can simply use "A".

     Thanks to Ilya Shlyakhter for this rather clever idea.

Support for Sebastian Rose's JavaScript org-info.js.

     This fascinating program allows a completely new viewing
     experience for web pages created from Org files.  The same
     document can be viewed in different ways, and switching
     between the views as well as navigation uses single-key
     commands.

     One of the view types is an /Info-like/ interface where you
     can jump through the sections of the document with the `n'
     and `p' keys (and others).  There is also a /folding/
     interface where you can fold the document much like you can
     fold it in org-mode in Emacs, and cycle through the
     visibility both locally and globally.

     To set this up, all you need to do is to make sure that
     org-infojs.el gets loaded (customize the variable org-modules
     to check).  Then add this line to the buffer:

      #+INFOJS_OPT: view:info

     In that line, you can configure the initial view and other
     settings.  Available views are `info' for the info-like
     interface, and `overview', `content', and `showall' for the
     folding interface.  See the manual for more details.  The
     JavaScript program is served from
     [http://orgmode.org/org-info.js], and your exported HTML files
     will automatically get it from there.  However, you may want
     to be independent of the existence and stability of
     orgmode.org and install a copy locally.  Then you need to
     change the path from which the script is loaded, either by
     using something like

      #+INFOJS_OPT: view:info path:../scripts/org-info.js

     or by configuring the variable `org-infojs-options'.

     For details see the documentation provided by Sebastian Rose
     together with org-info.js.

Export improvements
-------------------

     - The export of internal links to HTML now works a lot
       better.  Most internal links that work while editing an Org
       file inside Emacs will now also work the the corresponding
       HTML file.

     - You can run many of the export commands in the background
       by using `C-c C-u C-c C-e' in order to start the process.
       RIght now this will only work if "emacs" is the right
       command to get to your Emacs executable - I hope to make
       this less system dependent in the future.

     Both these are based on requests by Ilya Shlyakhter.

Improvements to clocktable
--------------------------

     - The clocktable is now much more flexible and user friendly
       when trying to specify the time block that should be
       considered when constructing the table.

       The `:block' parameter to the table can now look like any
       of these:

         :block         meaning
        --------------+-----------------------
         2008           The entire year 2008
         2008-04        The month April 2008
         2008-04-02     The day April 2, 2008
         2008-W14       ISO-Week 14 in 2008
         today          Today
         today-5        The day five days ago
         thisweek       The current week
         thisweek-2     Two weeks ago
         thismonth      The current month
         thismonth-12   Same month, last year
         lastmonth      Same as thismonth-1

       What is more, you can now use the `S-left' and `S-right'
       keys to shift the time block around.  The cursor needs to
       be in the `#+BEGIN: clocktable' line for this to work.  If
       the current block is `today', `S-left' with switch to
       yesterday.  If the current block is `2008-W14', `S-right'
       will switch to the following week.

     - When the clocktable is collecting from several files, the
       total time for each file will now also be listed.  This was
       a request from Bernt Hansen.

     - If you turn on the new clock report mode with the "R" key in
       the agenda, a clock table will be attached to the agenda,
       showing the clock report for the file scope and time
       interval of the agenda view.  To turn this on permanently,
       configure the variable
       `org-agenda-start-with-clock report-mode'.  To modify the
       properties of the table, in particular the `:maxlevel'
       depth, configure `org-agenda-clockreport-parameter-plist'.

Support for ISO week dates (ISO 6801)
-------------------------------------

     The agenda now shows the ISO week for the displayed dates, in
     the form `W08' for week 8.

     The keys `d', `w', `m', and `y' in the agenda view now accept
     prefix arguments.  Remember that in the agenda, you can
     directly type a prefix argument by typing a number, no need
     to press `C-u' first.  The prefix argument may be used to
     jump directly to a specific day of the year, ISO week, month,
     or year, respectively.  For example, `32 d' jumps to February
     1st, `9 w' to ISO week number 9.  When setting day, week, or
     month view, a year may be encoded in the prefix argument as
     well.  For example, `200712 w' will jump to week 12 in the
     year 2007.  If such a year specification has only one or two
     digits, it will be mapped to the interval 1938-2037.

     When entering a date at the date prompt, you may now also
     specify an ISO week.  For example

      w4              Monday of week 4
      fri w4          Friday of week 4
      w4-5            Same as above
      2012 w4 fri     Friday of week 4 in 2012.
      2012-W04-5      Same as above

     So far I have not implemented the effect of
     `org-read-date-prefer-future' on this functionality, because
     it seemed too magic for me.  I'd appreciate comments on this
     issue:  Should `org-read-date-prefer-future' also push dates
     into the next year if the week you are entering has already
     passed in the current year?  For consistency I guess this
     should be the case, but I cannot quite wrap my head around
     it.

     I hope but am not entirely convinced that this will behave
     sanely also during the first/last week of a year.  Please
     test extensively and report back.

     This was a request by Thomas Baumann.

Improvements in Search View
---------------------------

     - Calling search view with a C-u prefix will make it match
       only in TODO entries.

     - The single quote is no longer considered a word character
       during search, so that searching for the word "Nasim" will
       also match in "Nasim's".

Misc
----

     - Inheritance of tags can now be limited to a subset of all
       tags, using the variable `org-use-tag-inheritance'.  This
       variable may now be a regular expression or a list to
       select the inherited tags.  Thanks to Michael Ekstrand for
       this excellent proposal.

       The regexp option is also implemented for
       `org-use-property-inheritance', so that you can now select
       properties for inheritance my name.

     - The INHERIT flag to the function `org-entry-get' can be set
       to the symbol `selective'.  If this is the case, then the
       value of the property will be retrieved using inheritance
       if and only if the setting in
       `org-use-property-inheritance' selects the property for
       inheritance.

     - There are now special faces for the date lines in the
       agenda/timeline buffers, and another special face for days
       that fall on a weekend: `org-agenda-date' and
       `org-agenda-date-weekend'.  Both these faces are initially
       similar to the `org-agenda-structure' face, but you can
       customize them freely.

     - When an entry already has a scheduling or deadline time
       stamp, calling `C-c C-s' or `C-c C-d', respectively, will
       now use that old date as the default, and you can can use
       the "++4d" syntax to invoke shifts relative to that default
       date.  Simply pressing RET at the prompt will keep the
       default date, not switch to today.

       This was an omission in the earlier implementation, spotted
       by Wanrong Lin.  Thanks!

     - File names in remember templates can be relative, if they
       are, they will be interpreted relative to `org-directory'.

     - The handling of the clipboard when inserting into remember
       templates is now much better, and gives more control on what
       should be inserted with new %-escapes:

       - `%c' - Now always insert the head of the kill ring, never
         the X clipboard.

       - `%x' - Insert the content of the X clipboard. This is the
         first non-empty value from the PRIMARY, SECONDARY and
         CLIPBOARD X clipboards.

       - `%^C' - This allows the user to choose between any of the
         clipboard values available, the kill ring head, and the
         initial region if set.

       - `%^L' - Like `%^C', but this inserts an org link using the
         selected value.

       Thanks to James TD Smith for this patch.

     - Table export to an internal file can now use a format
       specification, similar to the formats that are used by
       orgtbl radio tables.  The default format is in the variable
       `org-table-export-default-format'.  You can use properties
       `TABLE_EXPORT_FILE' and `TABLE_EXPORT_FORMAT' to specify the
       file name to which the export should go, and a local
       format.  For example:

<       :PROPERTIES:
        :TABLE_EXPORT_FILE: ~/xx.txt
        :TABLE_EXPORT_FORMAT: orgtbl-to-generic :splice t :sep "\t"
        :END:

       Thanks to James TD Smith for this patch.

     - Entries can be sorted by TODO keyword, and the order is given
       by the definition sequence of the TODO keywords in the
       variable `org-todo-keywords', or in the `#+TODO' line.  Use
       the "o" key when sorting with `C-c ^'.

       Thanks to James TD Smith for this patch.

* Org 6.01 and XEmacs
@ 2008-04-14 16:29 ` Richard KLINDA
From: Richard KLINDA @ 2008-04-14 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone tried out Org 6.01 with XEmacs?  It doesn't work for me,
before I dwell into this any further I would like to know if this is a
problem with my setup, or others experience this too.  ATM I went back
to 5.23a

Thanks, Richard

* Re: Org 6.01 and XEmacs
@ 2008-04-14 17:04   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-04-14 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard KLINDA <rklinda@gmail.com> writes:

> Has anyone tried out Org 6.01 with XEmacs?  It doesn't work for me,
> before I dwell into this any further I would like to know if this is a
> problem with my setup, or others experience this too.  ATM I went back
> to 5.23a

It works for me (Org-mode version 6.02pre-01).  There are some setup
things to change with lisp files moving around etc - see the release
notes.

-Bernt

* Re: Org 6.01 and XEmacs
@ 2008-04-14 17:08   ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2008-04-14 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

As far as i can tell the problem i see under XEmacs is to do with the
use of the :help
keyword in easy-menu-define. XEmacs does not support this keyword, and
so breaks org mode start-up.

Tim.

On 14/04/2008, Richard KLINDA <rklinda@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone tried out Org 6.01 with XEmacs?  It doesn't work for me,
>  before I dwell into this any further I would like to know if this is a
>  problem with my setup, or others experience this too.  ATM I went back
>  to 5.23a
>
>  Thanks, Richard

* Re: Org 6.01 and XEmacs
@ 2008-04-14 18:05     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-14 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 14, 2008, at 7:08 PM, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:

> As far as i can tell the problem i see under XEmacs is to do with the
> use of the :help
> keyword in easy-menu-define. XEmacs does not support this keyword, and
> so breaks org mode start-up.

I have just released 6.01a which should fix this problem, and some of
the problems
with Emacs 21, maybe not all, please keep the reports coming.

- Carsten

* Re: Org 6.01 and XEmacs
@ 2008-04-14 18:23       ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2008-04-14 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is fixed for me, thanks.

Tim.

On 14/04/2008, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

>  On Apr 14, 2008, at 7:08 PM, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:
>

> > As far as i can tell the problem i see under XEmacs is to do with the
> > use of the :help
> > keyword in easy-menu-define. XEmacs does not support this keyword, and
> > so breaks org mode start-up.
> >

>  I have just released 6.01a which should fix this problem, and some of the
> problems
>  with Emacs 21, maybe not all, please keep the reports coming.
>
>  - Carsten

* Re: Org 6.01 and XEmacs
@ 2008-04-18  9:39     ` Richard KLINDA
From: Richard KLINDA @ 2008-04-18  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > Richard KLINDA <rklinda@gmail.com> writes:
  >> Has anyone tried out Org 6.01 with XEmacs?  It doesn't work for me,
  >> before I dwell into this any further I would like to know if this
  >> is a problem with my setup, or others experience this too.  ATM I
  >> went back to 5.23a

  > It works for me (Org-mode version 6.02pre-01).  There are some setup
  > things to change with lisp files moving around etc - see the release
  > notes.

Today I redownloaded Org, now it is version 6.01d (org-version returns
6.01c), I plugged it in the place of the 6.01 and fortunately everything
works as expected.  Maybe I borked something up with the previous
version, in that case sorry for the noise. :)

Thanks,
Richard