* Org-mode on Windows
@ 2008-03-14 10:58 Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-03-14 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Everyone,

I would like to which terminal clients people use to run Cygwin Emacs
(on Windows) to run org-mode.  PuTTY with ssh, PuTTY with puttycyg
patch, rxvt, mrxvt, xterm or something else.  For some reason, I will
have to remove Windows Emacs and Cygwin port in PuTTY does not support
shift-arrow keys (it passes the combination as plain arrow keys).

I am very interested to know if there's another key combination that
can be used instead of shift+arrow or if someone is aware  of a
patched PuTTY that does work.

I found that xterm and rxvt do support shift+arrow key chord but mrxvt
does not (which is strange considering it's built on top of rxvt).  If
I have to use X then I would prefer to use mrxvt (tabbing, window
resizing etc., though no real fullscreen like PuTTY's).

Suggestions and advice please.

Thanks
-- Manish

* Re: Org-mode on Windows
@ 2008-03-14 12:07 ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2008-03-14 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I personally run the XEmacs windows native port.
http://www.xemacs.org/Download/win32/index.html

I've tried the cygwin terminal and X versions and find i prefer the
native version.

There is an up to the minute windows Emacs port:
http://ntemacs.sourceforge.net/

Which i am evaluating, but yet to use in anger.

Tim.

On 14/03/2008, Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
>  I would like to which terminal clients people use to run Cygwin Emacs
>  (on Windows) to run org-mode.  PuTTY with ssh, PuTTY with puttycyg
>  patch, rxvt, mrxvt, xterm or something else.  For some reason, I will
>  have to remove Windows Emacs and Cygwin port in PuTTY does not support
>  shift-arrow keys (it passes the combination as plain arrow keys).
>
>  I am very interested to know if there's another key combination that
>  can be used instead of shift+arrow or if someone is aware  of a
>  patched PuTTY that does work.
>
>  I found that xterm and rxvt do support shift+arrow key chord but mrxvt
>  does not (which is strange considering it's built on top of rxvt).  If
>  I have to use X then I would prefer to use mrxvt (tabbing, window
>  resizing etc., though no real fullscreen like PuTTY's).
>
>  Suggestions and advice please.
>
>  Thanks
>  -- Manish

* Re: Org-mode on Windows - Putty
@ 2008-03-14 12:29   ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2008-03-14 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Tim O'Callaghan <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com> ha
scritto:
> > On 14/03/2008, Manish
> > <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> wrote:
> I personally run the XEmacs windows native port.
> http://www.xemacs.org/Download/win32/index.html
>
> There is an up to the minute windows Emacs port:
> http://ntemacs.sourceforge.net/

I use the Windows port of GNU-Emacs
from:
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

but I think this is not the point:

> >  For some reason, I will
> >  have to remove Windows Emacs

:-(

> > and Cygwin port in
> > PuTTY does not support
> >  shift-arrow keys (it passes the combination as
> > plain arrow keys).

Another option is to use the TTY-keys
e.g. you can substitute  S-<left> with C-c <left>

                 Alternative
S-<left> 	C-c <left>
S-<right> 	C-c <right>

please, please, read the maual for full list:

http://orgmode.org/manual/TTY-keys.html#TTY-keys

Giovanni

      Inviato da Yahoo! Mail.
Il servizio di posta con lo spazio illimitato.
http://it.docs.yahoo.com/mail/overview/index.html

* Re: Org-mode on Windows - Putty
@ 2008-03-14 13:27     ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-03-14 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 5:59 PM, Giovanni Ridolfi
<giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> wrote:

>  --- Tim O'Callaghan <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com> ha
>  scritto:
>  > > On 14/03/2008, Manish
>  > > <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I personally run the XEmacs windows native port.
>  > http://www.xemacs.org/Download/win32/index.html
>  >
>  > There is an up to the minute windows Emacs port:
>  > http://ntemacs.sourceforge.net/
>  >

>  I use the Windows port of GNU-Emacs
>  from:
>  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/
>
>  but I think this is not the point:
>
>  > >  For some reason, I will
>  > >  have to remove Windows Emacs
>
>  :-(
>
>  > > and Cygwin port in
>  > > PuTTY does not support
>  > >  shift-arrow keys (it passes the combination as
>  > > plain arrow keys).
>
>  Another option is to use the TTY-keys
>  e.g. you can substitute  S-<left> with C-c <left>
>
>                  Alternative
>  S-<left>        C-c <left>
>  S-<right>       C-c <right>
>
>  please, please, read the maual for full list:
>
>  http://orgmode.org/manual/TTY-keys.html#TTY-keys

Thanks for the pointer.  But it really is going to be inconvenient.

Shift-arrow works okay in rxvt but does not work in GNU Screen in
rxvt.  I tried exporting TERM=xterm as well.  Here are the results of
various key chords tried in agenda buffer.

M-[ a - S-up
M-[ b - S-down
M-[ c - S-right
M-[ d - S-left
M-o M-a - Alt-up
M-o M-b - Alt-down
M-o M-c - Alt-right
M-o M-d - Alt-left
M-O a - Ctl-up
M-O b - Ctl-down
M-O c - Ctl-right
M-O d - Ctl-left

I wonder if it would be possible to remap the command/function being
called by Shift-right to "M-[ c" or somehow remap "M-[ c" to
Shift-right?  I am no Emacs guru so I request to see if this makes
sense.

Thanks,
-- Manish

* Re: Org-mode on Windows - Putty
@ 2008-03-14 15:25       ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-03-14 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

What I did is:
Add some alternative TTY key bindings for some frequently used commands,
and use "AutoHotkey" to map things like "M-RET" to those TTY key
bindings. Not ideal, but works fine.

Wanrong
> Thanks for the pointer.  But it really is going to be inconvenient.
>
> Shift-arrow works okay in rxvt but does not work in GNU Screen in
> rxvt.  I tried exporting TERM=xterm as well.  Here are the results of
> various key chords tried in agenda buffer.
>
> M-[ a - S-up
> M-[ b - S-down
> M-[ c - S-right
> M-[ d - S-left
> M-o M-a - Alt-up
> M-o M-b - Alt-down
> M-o M-c - Alt-right
> M-o M-d - Alt-left
> M-O a - Ctl-up
> M-O b - Ctl-down
> M-O c - Ctl-right
> M-O d - Ctl-left
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to remap the command/function being
> called by Shift-right to "M-[ c" or somehow remap "M-[ c" to
> Shift-right?  I am no Emacs guru so I request to see if this makes
> sense.
>
> Thanks,
> -- Manish

* Re: Org-mode on Windows - Putty
@ 2008-03-14 15:29         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-03-14 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

maybe one of you guys would like to summarize the different options
together with examples in a longer message to the mailing list, so
that we can make a link in the FAQ to this summary?  This kind of
technical discussions should really be documented there.

- Carsten

On Mar 14, 2008, at 4:25 PM, Wanrong Lin wrote:

> What I did is:
> Add some alternative TTY key bindings for some frequently used
> commands, and use "AutoHotkey" to map things like "M-RET" to those
> TTY key bindings. Not ideal, but works fine.
>
> Wanrong
>> Thanks for the pointer.  But it really is going to be inconvenient.
>>
>> Shift-arrow works okay in rxvt but does not work in GNU Screen in
>> rxvt.  I tried exporting TERM=xterm as well.  Here are the results of
>> various key chords tried in agenda buffer.
>>
>> M-[ a - S-up
>> M-[ b - S-down
>> M-[ c - S-right
>> M-[ d - S-left
>> M-o M-a - Alt-up
>> M-o M-b - Alt-down
>> M-o M-c - Alt-right
>> M-o M-d - Alt-left
>> M-O a - Ctl-up
>> M-O b - Ctl-down
>> M-O c - Ctl-right
>> M-O d - Ctl-left
>>
>> I wonder if it would be possible to remap the command/function being
>> called by Shift-right to "M-[ c" or somehow remap "M-[ c" to
>> Shift-right?  I am no Emacs guru so I request to see if this makes
>> sense.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -- Manish

* Re: Org-mode on Windows
@ 2008-03-14 15:43   ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-03-14 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have used the GNU Emacs windows port in Windows with Org, and found
it worked fine natively. Even the shift arrows worked, which I'm not
used to working in a tty. ;]

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 01:07:35PM +0100, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:
> I personally run the XEmacs windows native port.
> http://www.xemacs.org/Download/win32/index.html
>
> I've tried the cygwin terminal and X versions and find i prefer the
> native version.
>
> There is an up to the minute windows Emacs port:
> http://ntemacs.sourceforge.net/
>
> Which i am evaluating, but yet to use in anger.
>
> Tim.
>
> On 14/03/2008, Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> >  I would like to which terminal clients people use to run Cygwin Emacs
> >  (on Windows) to run org-mode.  PuTTY with ssh, PuTTY with puttycyg
> >  patch, rxvt, mrxvt, xterm or something else.  For some reason, I will
> >  have to remove Windows Emacs and Cygwin port in PuTTY does not support
> >  shift-arrow keys (it passes the combination as plain arrow keys).
> >
> >  I am very interested to know if there's another key combination that
> >  can be used instead of shift+arrow or if someone is aware  of a
> >  patched PuTTY that does work.
> >
> >  I found that xterm and rxvt do support shift+arrow key chord but mrxvt
> >  does not (which is strange considering it's built on top of rxvt).  If
> >  I have to use X then I would prefer to use mrxvt (tabbing, window
> >  resizing etc., though no real fullscreen like PuTTY's).
> >
> >  Suggestions and advice please.
> >
> >  Thanks
> >  -- Manish

* Re: Org-mode on Windows - Putty
@ 2008-03-14 19:03         ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-03-14 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Wanrong Lin <wanrong.lin@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I did is:
>  Add some alternative TTY key bindings for some frequently used commands,
>  and use "AutoHotkey" to map things like "M-RET" to those TTY key
>  bindings. Not ideal, but works fine.

If I understand you correctly, what you are suggesting is to use
alternative key binds as suggested by Giovanni and use AutoHotKey to
`translate' S-<left> to C-c <left> for example.  Hmm.  Not a bad idea
at all.  Should work.

Can you please share relevant pieces from your .emacs and AHK script?

-- Manish

* Re: Org-mode on Windows
@ 2008-03-14 19:13     ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-03-14 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>  > On 14/03/2008, Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > > Hello Everyone,
>  > >
>  > >  I would like to which terminal clients people use to run Cygwin Emacs
>  > >  (on Windows) to run org-mode.  PuTTY with ssh, PuTTY with puttycyg
>  > >  patch, rxvt, mrxvt, xterm or something else.  For some reason, I will
>  > >  have to remove Windows Emacs and Cygwin port in PuTTY does not support
>  > >  shift-arrow keys (it passes the combination as plain arrow keys).
>  > >
>  > >  I am very interested to know if there's another key combination that
>  > >  can be used instead of shift+arrow or if someone is aware  of a
>  > >  patched PuTTY that does work.
>  > >
>  > >  I found that xterm and rxvt do support shift+arrow key chord but mrxvt
>  > >  does not (which is strange considering it's built on top of rxvt).  If
>  > >  I have to use X then I would prefer to use mrxvt (tabbing, window
>  > >  resizing etc., though no real fullscreen like PuTTY's).
>  > >
>  > >  Suggestions and advice please.

>  On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 01:07:35PM +0100, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:
>  > I personally run the XEmacs windows native port.
>  > http://www.xemacs.org/Download/win32/index.html
>  >
>  > I've tried the cygwin terminal and X versions and find i prefer the
>  > native version.
>  >
>  > There is an up to the minute windows Emacs port:
>  > http://ntemacs.sourceforge.net/
>  >
>  > Which i am evaluating, but yet to use in anger.

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Russell Adams
<RLAdams@adamsinfoserv.com> wrote:
> I have used the GNU Emacs windows port in Windows with Org, and found
>  it worked fine natively. Even the shift arrows worked, which I'm not
>  used to working in a tty. ;]

Native port works great.  In fact, TTY version will also work great
given a decent terminal client.  I love PuTTY but it just does not
understand Shift-arrow.   Am fiddling with various clients to see what
will work.

I wonder if you have used Org-mode inside GNU Screen as well?
Shift-arrow seems to be an issue under Screen as well.

-- Manish

* Re: Org-mode on Windows - Putty
@ 2008-03-14 19:33           ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-03-14 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, your understanding is correct (I use that for SSH session into my
remote Linux box). The biggest benefit I got from AutoHotKey is now I
can use the right Alt key in Putty sessions, since I mapped the right
Alt key to the left Alt key.
I don't understand why under Putty, a lot of control keys work out of
box on editors like "nano", but it is so twisted to have them work in
Emacs. As much as I like Emacs, I think people dreaming in "Emacs is
(nearly) perfect" need to wake up.

Here is some example key bindings from my emacs config:

--------------
  ;; this is inside my org-mode-hook

  ;; Alternative key binding for putty. basically Meta is replaced with
C-x, Ctrl is
  ;; replaced with C-c

  ;; for M-up/down/left/right
  (define-key org-mode-map [(control x) up] 'org-metaup)
  (define-key org-mode-map [(control x) down] 'org-metadown)
  (define-key org-mode-map [(control x) left] 'org-metaleft)
  (define-key org-mode-map [(control x) right] 'org-metaright)

  ;; for C-up/down/left/right
  (define-key org-mode-map [(control c) up] 'org-shiftup)
  (define-key org-mode-map [(control c) down] 'org-shiftdown)
  (define-key org-mode-map [(control c) left] 'org-shiftleft)
  (define-key org-mode-map [(control c) right] 'org-shiftright)

  ;; actually, M-return works in putty. So we use "C-x return" to do
"M-S return"
  (local-unset-key (kbd "C-x RET")) ;; originally bound globally to char
coding commands
  (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-x RET") 'org-insert-todo-heading)
-----------

Attached is my AutoHotKey script.

Manish wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Wanrong Lin <wanrong.lin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What I did is:
>>  Add some alternative TTY key bindings for some frequently used commands,
>>  and use "AutoHotkey" to map things like "M-RET" to those TTY key
>>  bindings. Not ideal, but works fine.
>>

> If I understand you correctly, what you are suggesting is to use
> alternative key binds as suggested by Giovanni and use AutoHotKey to
> `translate' S-<left> to C-c <left> for example.  Hmm.  Not a bad idea
> at all.  Should work.
>
> Can you please share relevant pieces from your .emacs and AHK script?
>
> -- Manish

[-- Attachment #2: AutoHotkey.ahk --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2484 bytes --]

;; Put this file under "My Documents"

; IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT GETTING STARTED: Lines that start with a
; semicolon, such as this one, are comments.  They are not executed.

; This script has a special filename and path because it is automatically
; launched when you run the program directly.  Also, any text file whose
; name ends in .ahk is associated with the program, which means that it
; can be launched simply by double-clicking it.  You can have as many .ahk
; files as you want, located in any folder.  You can also run more than
; one ahk file simultaneously and each will get its own tray icon.

; SAMPLE HOTKEYS: Below are two sample hotkeys.  The first is Win+Z and it
; launches a web site in the default browser.  The second is Control+Alt+N
; and it launches a new Notepad window (or activates an existing one).  To
; try out these hotkeys, run AutoHotkey again, which will load this file.

;;; sample hot keys

; #z::Run www.autohotkey.com

; ^!n::
; IfWinExist Untitled - Notepad
	; WinActivate
; else
	; Run Notepad
; return

; Note: From now on whenever you run AutoHotkey directly, this script
; will be loaded.  So feel free to customize it to suit your needs.

; Please read the QUICK-START TUTORIAL near the top of the help file.
; It explains how to perform common automation tasks such as sending
; keystrokes and mouse clicks.  It also explains more about hotkeys.

;;; my own hot keys (worked with 1.0.47 AutoHotKey)

; Modifier                Abbrevation     AHK-Symbol
; --------------------------------------------------
; Control-key             Ctrl-           ^
; Alt-key                 Alt-            !
; Shift-key               Shift-          +
; Windows-key             Win-            #

; putty + emacs

#IfWinActive ahk_class PuTTY

;; this is the killer
RAlt::LAlt

PgDn::Send ^v
PgUp::Send !v
Home::Send ^a
End::Send ^e
Delete::Send ^d
^Home::Send !<
^End::Send !>
^Space::Send ^c{Space}   ;; to avoid Chinese input ZiGuan to intercept the Ctrl-SPC

;; modified arrow and return keys
^Up::Send ^c{Up}
^Down::Send ^c{Down}
^Right::Send ^c{Right}
^Left::Send ^c{Left}
^Return::Send ^c{Return}
!Up::Send ^x{Up}
!Down::Send ^x{Down}
!Right::Send ^x{Right}
!Left::Send ^x{Left}
+!Return::Send ^x{Return}

;; mark and selection commands
+Home::Send ^x{Space}^a
+End::Send ^x{Space}^e
+PgDn::Send ^x{Space}^v
+PgUp::Send ^x{Space}!v
!+Home::Send ^x{Space}!<
!+End::Send ^x{Space}!>
^+Home::Send ^x{Space}^a
^+End::Send ^x{Space}^e

#IfWinActive

* Re: Org-mode on Windows - Putty
@ 2008-04-18 20:20             ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-04-18 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

      Wanrong> > > What I did is:
      Wanrong> > >  Add some alternative TTY key bindings for some
frequently used
      Wanrong> commands,
      Wanrong> > >  and use "AutoHotkey" to map things like "M-RET" to
those TTY key
      Wanrong> > >  bindings. Not ideal, but works fine.

    Manish> > If I understand you correctly, what you are suggesting is to use
    Manish> > alternative key binds as suggested by Giovanni and use
AutoHotKey to
    Manish> > `translate' S-<left> to C-c <left> for example.  Hmm.
Not a bad idea
    Manish> > at all.  Should work.
    Manish> > Can you please share relevant pieces from your .emacs
and AHK script?

  Wanrong>  #IfWinActive ahk_class PuTTY

  Wanrong>  ;; this is the killer
  Wanrong>  RAlt::LAlt

  Wanrong>  PgDn::Send ^v
  Wanrong>  PgUp::Send !v
  Wanrong>  Home::Send ^a
  Wanrong>  End::Send ^e
  Wanrong>  Delete::Send ^d
  Wanrong>  ^Home::Send !<
  Wanrong>  ^End::Send !>
  Wanrong>  ^Space::Send ^c{Space}   ;; to avoid Chinese input ZiGuan
to intercept the
  Wanrong> Ctrl-SPC

  Wanrong>  ;; modified arrow and return keys
  Wanrong>  ^Up::Send ^c{Up}
  Wanrong>  ^Down::Send ^c{Down}
  Wanrong>  ^Right::Send ^c{Right}
  Wanrong>  ^Left::Send ^c{Left}
  Wanrong>  ^Return::Send ^c{Return}
  Wanrong>  !Up::Send ^x{Up}
  Wanrong>  !Down::Send ^x{Down}
  Wanrong>  !Right::Send ^x{Right}
  Wanrong>  !Left::Send ^x{Left}
  Wanrong>  +!Return::Send ^x{Return}

  Wanrong>  ;; mark and selection commands
  Wanrong>  +Home::Send ^x{Space}^a
  Wanrong>  +End::Send ^x{Space}^e
  Wanrong>  +PgDn::Send ^x{Space}^v
  Wanrong>  +PgUp::Send ^x{Space}!v
  Wanrong>  !+Home::Send ^x{Space}!<
  Wanrong>  !+End::Send ^x{Space}!>
  Wanrong>  ^+Home::Send ^x{Space}^a
  Wanrong>  ^+End::Send ^x{Space}^e

What's working for me now is following AHK setup:

,----[ AHK keys ]----
| #IfWinActive lappy
| +Left::Send,^c{Left}
| +Right::Send,^c{Right}
| +Up::Send,^c{Up}
| +Down::Send,^c{Down}
| !+Left::Send,^c^x{L}
| +!Right::Send,^c^x{R}
`----

along with these two key-bindings in .emacs:

| (global-set-key (kbd "<f6>") 'org-columns-next-allowed-value)
| (global-set-key (kbd "<f7>") 'org-columns-previous-allowed-value)
`----

I don't like very much in comparison with native port.  But it works!

Thank you,
-- Manish