From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: Piotr Zielinski <piotr.zielinski@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Dragging URLs to an org buffer
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 13:58:14 +0200	[thread overview]

On Oct 3, 2006, at 19:27, Piotr Zielinski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here's a piece of elisp that allows you to drag URLs from a webbrowser
> (or other apps) to an org buffer.

Great.

> Any suggestions welcome.  The functionality is now part of org-mouse
> (I think it requires Emacs 22):
>
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pz215/files/org-mouse.el

I like the functionality, but I do find it too specialized to make this
behavior the default.  So I would weaken it, or enclose turning it on
into a customization variable.  The reasons why I find it too intrusive
the way it is now are:

- You enforce a colon for adding to the end of the line
- you enforce a particular type of bullet.
- when inserting in a empty line, the color switches to fixed-width
quotation
- people might want to use drag-and-drop to insert something into the
text that happens to be a bullet item.

Proposals:

- Don't enforce the colon when inserting at the end of the line.
- In the middle of a line, just insert there.
- If the current line is a bullet or a headline, *and* if you drop *on*
either the bullet or the headline stars, then make a new
headline/bullet for the dragged text.  Always make the bullet after the
current line.  (well, when inserting in front of a bullet, you could
insert before the current...)
- Respect the type of bullet:  numbered, -, +, *.

- Carsten