* Bug: Invalid face reference
@ 2008-02-27 23:34 Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-02-27 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I found something really strange:

Whenever I do a search (either "tags-todo" search, or "todo" search), as
long as the search result contains an entry with tags, the "*Messages*"
buffer will generate a message like this:

Invalid face reference: nil [164 times]

The number "164" above is just an example. What actually happens is that
the number keeps increasing (sometimes to over a thousand) and then
stops. But if I move the cursor (in the search result buffer) to a line
that has a tag, the number will increase again.

I remember months ago I had trouble using "htmlize.el" on a tag search
result buffer because of some "invalid face" error, and somebody on this
mailing list gave me a workaround  like this:

(eval-after-load "htmlize"
  '(progn
     (defadvice htmlize-faces-in-buffer (after org-no-nil-faces activate)
       "Make sure there are no nil faces"
       (setq ad-return-value (delq nil ad-return-value)))))

That does work for htmlize, but I think based on my above observation,
the problem has nothing to do with "htmlize.el" and something probably
is wrong in org itself. I am using org 5.22a.

Thanks if someone can look into it.

Wanrong

* Re: Bug: Invalid face reference
@ 2008-02-28  1:31 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-02-28  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Wanrong Lin <wanrong.lin@gmail.com> writes:

> I found something really strange:
>
> Whenever I do a search (either "tags-todo" search, or "todo" search),
> as long as the search result contains an entry with tags, the
> "*Messages*" buffer will generate a message like this:
>
> Invalid face reference: nil [164 times]

I see you're using Windows.
What version of Emacs are you running on it?

--
Bastien

* Re: Bug: Invalid face reference
@ 2008-02-28  2:08   ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-02-28  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien wrote:
> Wanrong Lin <wanrong.lin@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> I found something really strange:
>>
>> Whenever I do a search (either "tags-todo" search, or "todo" search),
>> as long as the search result contains an entry with tags, the
>> "*Messages*" buffer will generate a message like this:
>>
>> Invalid face reference: nil [164 times]
>>

> I see you're using Windows.
> What version of Emacs are you running on it?

I am using Emacs 22.1. Actually I also tested on Linux (with Emacs 22.1
too), and I saw the same thing.

* Re: Bug: Invalid face reference
@ 2008-02-28 16:38     ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-02-28 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> I see you're using Windows.  What version of Emacs are you running on
>> it?
>>

> I am using Emacs 22.1. Actually I also tested on Linux (with Emacs
> 22.1 too), and I saw the same thing.

Just some update:

I called (org-restart-font-lock) function inside my tag search result
buffer, and I can see a new "Invalid face reference: nil [X times]"
message is generated in the "*Messages*" buffer, with "X" keeps
increasing. I have "jit-lock-mode" (Just in time font locking) enabled
in my emacs config, so I guess that ticking "X" number is from the
background font locking process.

It seems something is wrong with font locking for tags. But this only
happens in tag search result buffer. It does not happen in regular
agenda buffer.

I don't know how to proceed to pin-point this. Can any of you guys also
reproduce this? Any suggestions?  Thank you.

@ 2008-02-29 17:19       ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-02-29 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

More update:

In a tag search result buffer, I move the cursor to a tag, and eval
(get-text-property (point) 'face),  and I get: (org-tag nil). So this
"nil" is causing the problem, but I don't know where it is sneaked in.

Wanrong

> Just some update:
>
> I called (org-restart-font-lock) function inside my tag search result
> buffer, and I can see a new "Invalid face reference: nil [X times]"
> message is generated in the "*Messages*" buffer, with "X" keeps
> increasing. I have "jit-lock-mode" (Just in time font locking) enabled
> in my emacs config, so I guess that ticking "X" number is from the
> background font locking process.
>
> It seems something is wrong with font locking for tags. But this only
> happens in tag search result buffer. It does not happen in regular
> agenda buffer.
>
> I don't know how to proceed to pin-point this. Can any of you guys
> also reproduce this? Any suggestions?  Thank you.
>
> Wanrong

* Re: Re: Bug: Invalid face reference
@ 2008-02-29 18:41         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-02-29 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Wanrong Lin <wanrong.lin@gmail.com> writes:

> In a tag search result buffer, I move the cursor to a tag, and eval
> (get-text-property (point) 'face),  and I get: (org-tag nil). So this
> "nil" is causing the problem, but I don't know where it is sneaked in.

Thanks for the update.

Here I get (org-tag org-level-1) when I fetch the 'face property in a
tag at a headline on the first level.

So it looks like the headline face is not properly set.  I first thought
it might be because of `org-level-color-stars-only' being nil, but then
the value for the 'face property in a tag is (org-tag), which is okay.

I still cannot reproduce the problem, but I guess we're getting close to
the solution.

Maybe something weirdness happens because `org-get-level-face' does not
behave the same in your version of Emacs.  Just a wild guess.

--
Bastien

* Re: Bug: Invalid face reference
@ 2008-02-29 18:41         ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-02-29 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Carsten Dominik

Found the bug and fixed it as following (see the comment line marked
with <WL>)
-------------
(defun org-agenda-align-tags (&optional line)
  "Align all tags in agenda items to `org-agenda-tags-column'."
  (let ((inhibit-read-only t) l c)
    (save-excursion
      (goto-char (if line (point-at-bol) (point-min)))
      (while (re-search-forward (org-re "\\([
\t]+\\)\\(:[[:alnum:]_@:]+:\\)[ \t]*$")
                (if line (point-at-eol) nil) t)
    (add-text-properties
     (match-beginning 2) (match-end 2)
     ;; <WL>: bug fix against 5.22a
     (list 'face (delq nil (list 'org-tag (get-text-property
                                           (match-beginning 2) 'face)))))
    (setq l (- (match-end 2) (match-beginning 2))
          c (if (< org-agenda-tags-column 0)
            (- (abs org-agenda-tags-column) l)
          org-agenda-tags-column))
    (delete-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1))
    (goto-char (match-beginning 1))
    (insert (org-add-props
            (make-string (max 1 (- c (current-column))) ?\ )
            (text-properties-at (point))))))))

@ 2008-02-29 18:48           ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-02-29 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Carsten Dominik

Also, I found the following htmlize workaound in org.el, so seems the
workround is already built-in in org-mode. Hopefully with the bug fix
this can be removed.

-----
;; Fix a bug in htmlize where there are text properties (face nil)

@ 2008-02-29 20:10           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-02-29 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I am taking this patch thanks!

This might indeed make the advice for htmlize unnecessary - could you
please
remove it your own setup and test this for a long while?  And then
report back?

Thanks!

- Carsten

@ 2008-02-29 20:44             ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-02-29 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

I already did so. So far there is no problem. If I don't report
anything, I think you can assume in the next release that I have no
problem at all with the htmlize advice removed.

Wanrong

@ 2008-02-29 20:46               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-02-29 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode