* Turn function into interactive
@ 2019-12-30  5:26 Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2019-12-30  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've discovered org-outline-level which when in a code block under a given
header delivers as expected:

* This old level
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(org-current-level)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: 1

Now, how could I turn this into an interactive callable with M-x? My stab
in the dark

(defun my-insert-level ()
  (interactive)
  (insert (org-outline-level)))

doesn't seem to be working. Or is there already an interactive that will
give me what level I'm at? My goal is to put this into a tempo template for
a PROPERTIES key-value, and I assume this sort of construct

(tempo-define-template "org-PROPERTIES_time-uuid-level"
'(":PROPERTIES:" n
":HLEVEL: " (my-insert-level) n
":Time: " (my-insert-dateutc) n
":UUID: " (my-insert-uuid) n
":END:" )
      "<Pt" "Insert PROPERTIES time-uuid-level block" 'org-tempo-tags)

which gets distorted-munged, no doubt because it doesn't properly call
and/or return org-outline-level. Any hints appreciated.

LB

* Re: Turn function into interactive
@ 2019-12-30 18:43 ` Berry, Charles
From: Berry, Charles @ 2019-12-30 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Dec 29, 2019, at 9:26 PM, Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've discovered org-outline-level which when in a code block under a given header delivers as expected:
>
> * This old level
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (org-current-level)
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : 1
>
> Now, how could I turn this into an interactive callable with M-x? My stab in the dark
>
> (defun my-insert-level ()
>   (interactive)
>   (insert (org-outline-level)))

> doesn't seem to be working.

It works, but just isn't what you wanted. ;-)

Note:

,----[ C-h f insert RET ]
| insert is a built-in function in ‘C source code’.
|
| (insert &rest ARGS)
|
| Insert the arguments, either strings or characters, at point.
| Point and after-insertion markers move forward to end up
|  after the inserted text.
| [...]
`-----

So try something like

(defun my-insert-level ()
  (interactive)
  (insert (format "%d" (org-outline-level))))

To insert a string.

HTH,

Chuck