From: Greg Minshall <minshall@umich.edu>
To: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
	Galaxy Being <borgauf@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: How to keep getting org updates
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 07:11:05 +0300	[thread overview]

hi, Tim,

> I think it is always a mistake to google for answers without first
> checking what Emacs has in the built-in documentation and manual. What
> is in the Emacs manual or docstrings for variables and functions is
> guaranteed to be accurate for the version of Emacs your running. What
> you find googling and serching reddit, stack overflow, etc is more often
> than not outdated and from what I've seen, often incorrect. A little
> time getting to learn the help commands bound to C-h will save you much
> time in the long run.

this is undoubtedly true, though i certainly find myself googling a fair
amount, comparing answers to see if there is consensus.  and, then,
often, using those results to dive into the manual (or the mailing list
archives) to see if i can find "official" guidance.

> Running C-h d v package-pinned-packages shows the following, which
> explains how to set the variable for pinning packages.

for example, i might google, and find that `package-pinned-packages` was
a variable of interest.

i strongly agree that staying an "out-of-the-box" user, setting options
with Emacs' customization interface (and, i guess, using ELPA), is the
way to go if you want to be spared of many details (which can be
daunting, and are approximately infinite :).

but, all that said, didn't some of us on the list (even, iiuc, "out of
the box" users) have problems upgrading from previous ELPA'ish versions
of org-mode to the 9.5 version, because of the confusion of ELPA (?)
non-semantic version numbers appearing to be greater than "9.5"?  that
was really what i was considering, and wondering how to document that
issue in the info pages, so the official documentation will, in fact,
help people upgrade.  (though maybe the answer here is, "stay with the
non-gnu ELPA [or base Emacs] version of org-mode you are currently using
until you upgrade to Emacs 28, at which point you will automatically
follow the box to org-mode 9.5"?)

cheers, Greg