The reason why someone would want to do this is that most corporate environments literally force you to use products like the MS Office Suite. I can only see that as a benefit to be able to export to whatever you want. is it perfect? Probably not, but at least the option exists. I feel that the people who like to gravitate towards the FOSS side of things though should probably move their careers to only being able to utilize FOSS type stuff anyway. Ex: Use Pandoc as a crutch for now, and slowly move towards jobs where you no longer need MS Office Suite, etc. On Sun, Jun 27, 2021, at 4:13 PM, emanuel.charpentier@gmail.com wrote: > I know we’re not supposed to really even TALK about proprietary software in FOSS communities like this one, but I can’t help but wonder if someone might consider making (an) Emacs plugin(s) that allow(s) a user to export Org mode files to Microsoft Office file formats such as .docx, .xlsx and the like? Or is/are there already (a) plugin(s) in the MELPA that can do this? > > FWIW, someone calling himself "kawabata" on github has written this pandoc-based exporter, which does an okay job for some documents. > > The fly in the ointment is that this person seems to have dropped off the 'Net : his code hasn't been maintained for three years and 35 issues are currently open. Maintaining it might be an "interesting" project... > > Getting "good" results in ODT seems easier. You have to pay attention to some details (e. g. the "right" value to set the symbol used to export code fragments, etc...), but at least, LibreOffice supports vector graphics... The most important point may be to create a "good" template document for your needs. > > I have been able to create documents exporting citations, Sagemath-generated LaTeX math, figures, tables, listings and cross-references to these elements to ODT, LaTeX/PDF and HTML with not much hassle (though the ability to create a list of figures is sorely lacking...) using the built-in ODT exporter and org-ref or citeproc-org. As already mentioned, LibreOffice can easily convert from ODT to DOCX (with often results superior to Word's interpretation of ODT...). > > I have great expectations on the upcoming citation/bibliography system discussed here a short while ago. > > HTH, > > -- > Emmanuel Charpentier >