* How to convert org file to such a plain text
@ 2008-07-24 23:59 anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-07-24 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I want to export org to plan text, which pattern is:
--------------------
|level 1
|<tab>level 2
|<tab>- item
|<tab><tab>level 3
--------------------
instead of
--------------------
|* level 1
|** level 2
|<tab>- item
|*** level 3
--------------------

  anhnmncb
 gpg key: 44A31344

* Re: How to convert org file to such a plain text
@ 2008-07-25 14:24 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-25 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anhnmncb; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

We do not have an exporter that can do this right now.

- Carsten

@ 2008-07-25 18:47   ` anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-07-25 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

> We do not have an exporter that can do this right now.
>
> - Carsten
Will it come in furture?

> On Jul 24, 2008, at 4:59 PM, anhnmncb wrote:
>
>     I want to export org to plan text, which pattern is:
>     --------------------
>     |level 1
>     |<tab>level 2
>     |<tab>- item
>     |<tab><tab>level 3
>     --------------------
>     instead of
>     --------------------
>     |* level 1
>     |** level 2
>     |<tab>- item
>     |*** level 3

  anhnmncb
 gpg key: 44A31344

* Re: Re: How to convert org file to such a plain text
@ 2008-07-26 15:43     ` Hugo Schmitt
From: Hugo Schmitt @ 2008-07-26 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anhnmncb; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

What are the odds that Carsten has plans to export to a format *you* just
invented?

@ 2008-07-26 16:52       ` anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-07-26 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Hugo Schmitt" <hugows@gmail.com> writes:

> What are the odds that Carsten has plans to export to a format *you* just invented?
Oh, my pda app projekt can import this format of file, but if all of you
think it's no use, nervermind.

@ 2008-07-28 17:40         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-28 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anhnmncb; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 26, 2008, at 9:52 AM, anhnmncb wrote:

> "Hugo Schmitt" <hugows@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> What are the odds that Carsten has plans to export to a format
>> *you* just invented?
> Oh, my pda app projekt can import this format of file, but if all of
> you
> think it's no use, nervermind.

Hey, why the huff?

The point is, you have not given us any chance at all to
think it might be of any use!

Here is the thing:  This is an open source project, everyone
who is in it, is in there for the fun of it and in his/her
free time.  So how to trigger other people to do work for you?
Here is what triggers me:

1. BUGS
   Bugs are like a bad itch, and its very hard for me to not
   keep scratching until they are gone.

2. Logical gaps in the Org-mode framework
   If an idea or feature fits obviously into what Org should do,
   so obvious that once you hear it, you can't say why you
   have not thought about it before.

3. Interesting ideas and feature requests that do make sense
   in the Org-mode framework.
   For this the proposer needs to take the time and energy to
   make a good case for it.  Why is this interesting and
   useful for me, why for others, how can it be used
   and configured?

4. Cool stuff
   I want Org-mode to be the coolest thing out there, and cool
   ideas can occasionally trigger me to implement them even
   if their usefulness is not yet clear or well established.

5. Requests from people who have shown their interest in Org-mode
   over a longer period and have contributed in one way or another.
   I will be more inclined to listen to ideas from those people,
   even if something is badly explained or does not make sense to
   me immediately.

Let me make an example:  Had you come and explained that you are
writing a really cool PDA application that will finally allow
two-way synching between Org-mode and a PDA, and that you will make
this program freely available to everyone, and that you need a
certain input format to make sure that entries can be identified
in a unique way, you would very likely have your exporter by now.

Hope this makes things clearer.

Happy hacking!

- Carsten

@ 2008-07-30  5:06           ` anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-07-30  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Jul 26, 2008, at 9:52 AM, anhnmncb wrote:
>
>> "Hugo Schmitt" <hugows@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> What are the odds that Carsten has plans to export to a format
>>> *you* just invented?
>> Oh, my pda app projekt can import this format of file, but if all of
>> you
>> think it's no use, nervermind.
>
> Hey, why the huff?
>
> The point is, you have not given us any chance at all to
> think it might be of any use!
>
> Here is the thing:  This is an open source project, everyone
> who is in it, is in there for the fun of it and in his/her
> free time.  So how to trigger other people to do work for you?
> Here is what triggers me:
>
> 1. BUGS
>   Bugs are like a bad itch, and its very hard for me to not
>   keep scratching until they are gone.
>
> 2. Logical gaps in the Org-mode framework
>   If an idea or feature fits obviously into what Org should do,
>   so obvious that once you hear it, you can't say why you
>   have not thought about it before.
>
> 3. Interesting ideas and feature requests that do make sense
>   in the Org-mode framework.
>   For this the proposer needs to take the time and energy to
>   make a good case for it.  Why is this interesting and
>   useful for me, why for others, how can it be used
>   and configured?
>
> 4. Cool stuff
>   I want Org-mode to be the coolest thing out there, and cool
>   ideas can occasionally trigger me to implement them even
>   if their usefulness is not yet clear or well established.
>
> 5. Requests from people who have shown their interest in Org-mode
>   over a longer period and have contributed in one way or another.
>   I will be more inclined to listen to ideas from those people,
>   even if something is badly explained or does not make sense to
>   me immediately.
>
> Let me make an example:  Had you come and explained that you are
> writing a really cool PDA application that will finally allow
> two-way synching between Org-mode and a PDA, and that you will make
> this program freely available to everyone, and that you need a
> certain input format to make sure that entries can be identified
> in a unique way, you would very likely have your exporter by now.
>
> Hope this makes things clearer.
>
> Happy hacking!
>
> - Carsten

Sorry for delay, I can't reach the app website[1] right now, when it
can, I will provide the relavent information.

[1] http://www.kylom.com/

@ 2008-08-04 17:39             ` anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-08-04 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

anhnmncb <anhnmncb@gmail.com> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

>>> Oh, my pda app projekt can import this format of file, but if all of
>>> you
>>> think it's no use, nervermind.
>>
>> Hey, why the huff?
>>
>> The point is, you have not given us any chance at all to
>> think it might be of any use!
>>
>> - Carsten
>>
> Sorry for delay, I can't reach the app website[1] right now, when it
> can, I will provide the relavent information.
>
> [1] http://www.kylom.com/

Sorry, I can't find more useful info, the app just says it can import
the txt file which has different level of indents. So I think replace
star(*) with <tab> is enough. Such like this:

Org file              -->  txt file
--------------------       --------------------
|* level 1                 |level 1
|** level 2           -->  |<tab>level 2
|<tab>- item               |<tab>- item
|*** level 3               |<tab><tab>level 3
--------------------       --------------------

I'm not a programmer, so if my request is stupid and easy to achieve by
any other way, please let me know.

@ 2008-08-04 21:21               ` Peter Jones
From: Peter Jones @ 2008-08-04 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

anhnmncb <anhnmncb@gmail.com> writes:
> Sorry, I can't find more useful info, the app just says it can import
> the txt file which has different level of indents. So I think replace
> star(*) with <tab> is enough. Such like this:
>
> Org file              -->  txt file
> --------------------       --------------------
> |* level 1                 |level 1
> |** level 2           -->  |<tab>level 2
> |<tab>- item               |<tab>- item
> |*** level 3               |<tab><tab>level 3
> --------------------       --------------------
>
> I'm not a programmer, so if my request is stupid and easy to achieve by
> any other way, please let me know.

For the time being, it might make sense to create a keyboard macro
that exports to ASCII, and then replaces stars with tabs.

--
Peter Jones, http://pmade.com
pmade inc.  Louisville, CO US

* Re: Re: How to convert org file to such a plain text
@ 2008-08-05  1:43               ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2008-08-05  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anhnmncb; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I don't know if you use perl at all.  My first guess is:

    perl -pe's/^(\*+)(\s+.*)$/("\t"x length$1).$2/e' < TODO.org > TODO.txt

Having tried it on a live file, I don't think the results are very
pleasing  Replacing a single character '*' with a tab creates a
formatting mess with any other text in the file.

Edd

@ 2008-08-05 11:28                 ` Hugo Schmitt
From: Hugo Schmitt @ 2008-08-05 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddward DeVilla; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, anhnmncb

anhnmncb, this helps you?

(defun org-to-anhnmncb ()
  (interactive)
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (let ((curlevel 0))
    (while (< (point) (point-max))
      (goto-char (point-at-bol))
      (cond
       ((looking-at "\\(\\*+\\)\\s-*")
        (setq curlevel (1- (length (match-string 1))))
        (replace-match (make-string curlevel ?\t)))
       ((looking-at "\\s-*")
        (replace-match (concat (make-string curlevel ?\t) "- "))))
      (forward-line 1))))

my test was this:

* level1
  item
** level2
   item
   item
*** level3
    item
    item
** level2 again
   item
   item

which gets converted into:

level1
- item
    level2
    - item
    - item
        level3
        - item
        - item
    level2 again
    - item
    - item

hope this helps,
hugo

@ 2008-08-05 16:18                 ` anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-08-05 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Eddward DeVilla" <eddward@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't know if you use perl at all.  My first guess is:
>
>     perl -pe's/^(\*+)(\s+.*)$/("\t"x length$1).$2/e' < TODO.org > TODO.txt
>
> Having tried it on a live file, I don't think the results are very
> pleasing  Replacing a single character '*' with a tab creates a
> formatting mess with any other text in the file.
>
> Edd
Yes, it's a bit mess, thank you anyway.

@ 2008-08-05 16:19                   ` anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-08-05 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Hugo Schmitt" <hugows@gmail.com> writes:

> anhnmncb, this helps you?
>
> (defun org-to-anhnmncb ()
>   (interactive)
>   (goto-char (point-min))
>   (let ((curlevel 0))
>     (while (< (point) (point-max))
>       (goto-char (point-at-bol))
>       (cond
>        ((looking-at "\\(\\*+\\)\\s-*")
>         (setq curlevel (1- (length (match-string 1))))
>         (replace-match (make-string curlevel ?\t)))
>        ((looking-at "\\s-*")
>         (replace-match (concat (make-string curlevel ?\t) "- "))))
>       (forward-line 1))))
>
> my test was this:
>
> * level1
>   item
> ** level2
>    item
>    item
> *** level3
>     item
>     item
> ** level2 again
>    item
>    item
>
> which gets converted into:
>
> level1
> - item
>     level2
>     - item
>     - item
>         level3
>         - item
>         - item
>     level2 again
>     - item
>     - item
>
> hope this helps,
> hugo
Really great, it helps me a lot! Thank you!

> [...]
>     >>>> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
>     >>>> Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
>     >>>> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >>> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
>     >>> Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
>     >>> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
>     >>>
>     >
>     > --
>     > Regards,
>     >
>     >  anhnmncb
>     >  gpg key: 44A31344
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Emacs-orgmode mailing list
>     > Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.

  anhnmncb
 gpg key: 44A31344