* Remember and then refile
@ 2008-01-07 16:05 Hugo Schmitt
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hugo Schmitt @ 2008-01-07 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everyone!

I know Remember allows one to select where we want to file an entry with C-u
C-c C-c, but now that we have org-refile (great!), it would be really nice
to be able to call org-refile after the text is inserted on it's default
place (mine is the Tasks tree on todo.org)
Now, I couldn't find a way to insert this nicely into the code, since that
is done via the remember command.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Hugo

* Re: Remember and then refile
@ 2008-01-07 16:16 ` Hugo Schmitt
From: Hugo Schmitt @ 2008-01-07 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi again...
i took a second look and adding something like this:

(when org-remember-then-refile
          (org-refile))

on the end of the function org-remember-handler did the trick.
It's not as nice as it could be though, because you get a *Remember* buffer
opened until you refile.

Cheers,
Hugo

On Jan 7, 2008 1:05 PM, Hugo Schmitt <hugows@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I know Remember allows one to select where we want to file an entry with
> C-u C-c C-c, but now that we have org-refile (great!), it would be really
> nice to be able to call org-refile after the text is inserted on it's
> default place (mine is the Tasks tree on todo.org)
> Now, I couldn't find a way to insert this nicely into the code, since that
> is done via the remember command.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Hugo

* Re: Remember and then refile
@ 2008-01-15 15:00 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-15 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugo Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 7, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Hugo Schmitt wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I know Remember allows one to select where we want to file an entry
> with C-u C-c C-c, but now that we have org-refile (great!), it would
> be really nice to be able to call org-refile after the text is
> inserted on it's default place (mine is the Tasks tree on todo.org)
> Now, I couldn't find a way to insert this nicely into the code,
> since that is done via the remember command.
> Any ideas?

Hi Hugo,

great idea.  We could even (optionally) replace the storing interface
with the refile interface, so that C-c C-c would do a direct filing
and C-u C-c C-c would give you the refile interface to determine a
location.  Much faster than the rog-goto interface that is being used
now.

Tanks.

- Carsten

* Re: Remember and then refile
@ 2008-01-18  8:47 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-18  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugo Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This will be in 5.19.  Thanks for the proposal!.

- Carsten

On Jan 7, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Hugo Schmitt wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I know Remember allows one to select where we want to file an entry
> with C-u C-c C-c, but now that we have org-refile (great!), it would
> be really nice to be able to call org-refile after the text is
> inserted on it's default place (mine is the Tasks tree on todo.org)
> Now, I couldn't find a way to insert this nicely into the code,
> since that is done via the remember command.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Hugo

* Re: Remember and then refile
@ 2008-01-18 10:14   ` Hugo Schmitt
From: Hugo Schmitt @ 2008-01-18 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Can't wait!
Thank you very much for all the work on org-mode.
-Hugo

On Jan 18, 2008 5:47 AM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> This will be in 5.19.  Thanks for the proposal!.
>
> - Carsten
>

> On Jan 7, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Hugo Schmitt wrote:
>

> Hello everyone!
>
> I know Remember allows one to select where we want to file an entry with C-u
> C-c C-c, but now that we have org-refile (great!), it would be really nice
> to be able to call org-refile after the text is inserted on it's default
> place (mine is the Tasks tree on todo.org)
> Now, I couldn't find a way to insert this nicely into the code, since that
> is done via the remember command.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Hugo

* Re: Remember and then refile
@ 2008-01-18 20:40   ` Steven Lumos
From: Steven Lumos @ 2008-01-18 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> This will be in 5.19.  Thanks for the proposal!.
>
> - Carsten

Hi.

Have you considered somehow merging the tree selection and minibuffer
with completion methods so that both are available simultaneously?

Steve

> On Jan 7, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Hugo Schmitt wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> I know Remember allows one to select where we want to file an entry
>> with C-u C-c C-c, but now that we have org-refile (great!), it would
>> be really nice to be able to call org-refile after the text is
>> inserted on it's default place (mine is the Tasks tree on todo.org)
>> Now, I couldn't find a way to insert this nicely into the code,
>> since that is done via the remember command.
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Hugo

* Re: Re: Remember and then refile
@ 2008-01-18 21:43     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-18 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Lumos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 18, 2008, at 9:40 PM, Steven Lumos wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>> This will be in 5.19.  Thanks for the proposal!.
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> Hi.
>
> Have you considered somehow merging the tree selection and minibuffer
> with completion methods so that both are available simultaneously?

Could you please be more specific?

Thanks.

- Carsten

> Steve
>
>> On Jan 7, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Hugo Schmitt wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone!
>>>
>>> I know Remember allows one to select where we want to file an entry
>>> with C-u C-c C-c, but now that we have org-refile (great!), it would
>>> be really nice to be able to call org-refile after the text is
>>> inserted on it's default place (mine is the Tasks tree on todo.org)
>>> Now, I couldn't find a way to insert this nicely into the code,
>>> since that is done via the remember command.
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Hugo

* Re: Remember and then refile
@ 2008-01-18 22:19       ` Steven Lumos
From: Steven Lumos @ 2008-01-18 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
> On Jan 18, 2008, at 9:40 PM, Steven Lumos wrote:
>
>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>>> This will be in 5.19.  Thanks for the proposal!.
>>>
>>> - Carsten
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Have you considered somehow merging the tree selection and minibuffer
>> with completion methods so that both are available simultaneously?
>
> Could you please be more specific?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Carsten

Maybe. :-)

Currently, C-u C-c C-c in remember uses this "Select a destination
location for the note" mode where you navigate the org tree in the
usual way and then RET to select a headline.

On the other hand, org-refile uses the minibuffer and you type a
headline, with completion and history.

So recently I've been thinking it should be possible (though only
arguably desirable) to allow both of these modes to be active at once,
so movement commands would navigate the tree and typing commands would
append to the minibuffer.

There are key conflicts that need to be worked out, but I think it
could be done.  For one example, TAB could do completion if there is
text in the minibuffer, and tree navigation otherwise.

Steve

@ 2008-01-20 14:31         ` Piotr Zielinski
From: Piotr Zielinski @ 2008-01-20 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Lumos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 18, 2008 10:19 PM, Steven Lumos <steven@lumos.us> wrote:

>>> Have you considered somehow merging the tree selection and
>>> minibuffer with completion methods so that both are available
>>> simultaneously?

I haven't made up my mind about org-refile yet, but I'd like to speak
in defense of org-goto.  In my setup, when you start typing in
org-goto, it automatically enters the isearch mode that searches only
headlines, which is very useful for refiling and kind of achieves what
you are asking for.  This requires some additional elisp code; I can
repost it if somebody is interested.

As for completion, both org-refile and org-goto should work with
icicles but I haven't tried it extensively yet (icicles provides
general-purpose extensive completion support for emacs).  My main
point is that I'd rather vote for making org-mode work well with
otherspecialized modes (eg icicles) than for reimplementing the
features.

Thanks,
Piotr

* Re: Re: Remember and then refile
@ 2008-01-20 14:32         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-20 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Lumos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 18, 2008, at 11:19 PM, Steven Lumos wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Have you considered somehow merging the tree selection and
>>> minibuffer
>>> with completion methods so that both are available simultaneously?
>>
>> Could you please be more specific?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> Maybe. :-)
>
> Currently, C-u C-c C-c in remember uses this "Select a destination
> location for the note" mode where you navigate the org tree in the
> usual way and then RET to select a headline.
>
> On the other hand, org-refile uses the minibuffer and you type a
> headline, with completion and history.
>
> So recently I've been thinking it should be possible (though only
> arguably desirable) to allow both of these modes to be active at once,
> so movement commands would navigate the tree and typing commands would
> append to the minibuffer.
>
> There are key conflicts that need to be worked out, but I think it
> could be done.  For one example, TAB could do completion if there is
> text in the minibuffer, and tree navigation otherwise.

Hmm, this sound like over-complx to me.  I would use the interface
that makes sense most of the time and then move by hand in the
remaining cases.  Or do you think tat the interface you want
is dependent on the template you are using?

- Carsten

> Steve
>

>>> Steve

* Re: Remember and then refile
@ 2008-01-20 14:44           ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2008-01-20 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2008-01-20 14:31 +0000, Piotr Zielinski wrote:
> As for completion, both org-refile and org-goto should work with
> icicles but I haven't tried it extensively yet (icicles provides
> general-purpose extensive completion support for emacs).  My main
> point is that I'd rather vote for making org-mode work well with
> otherspecialized modes (eg icicles) than for reimplementing the
> features.

But the problem with icicles is that it might never be included in
Emacs.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

          Use the best OS -- http://www.fedoraproject.org/

* Re: Re: Remember and then refile
@ 2008-01-20 15:54             ` Hugo Schmitt
From: Hugo Schmitt @ 2008-01-20 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I use ido all day, and I find ido-completing-read much nicer/cooler
than the default. If anyone wants to try, just change the sexp
(completing-read ...) inside org-refile for something like:

(if (fboundp 'ido-completing-read)
	 (ido-completing-read "Refile to: " tbl nil t nil 'org-refile-history)
	 (completing-read "Refile to: " tbl nil t nil 'org-refile-history))

... and the good thing is that ido comes with emacs22.

Cheers,
Hugo

@ 2008-01-31 23:21           ` Steven Lumos
From: Steven Lumos @ 2008-01-31 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Jan 18, 2008, at 11:19 PM, Steven Lumos wrote:
>
>> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

>>> Could you please be more specific?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> - Carsten
>>
>> Maybe. :-)
>>
>> Currently, C-u C-c C-c in remember uses this "Select a destination
>> location for the note" mode where you navigate the org tree in the
>> usual way and then RET to select a headline.
>>
>> On the other hand, org-refile uses the minibuffer and you type a
>> headline, with completion and history.
>>
>> So recently I've been thinking it should be possible (though only
>> arguably desirable) to allow both of these modes to be active at once,
>> so movement commands would navigate the tree and typing commands would
>> append to the minibuffer.
>>
>> There are key conflicts that need to be worked out, but I think it
>> could be done.  For one example, TAB could do completion if there is
>> text in the minibuffer, and tree navigation otherwise.
>
> Hmm, this sound like over-complx to me.  I would use the interface
> that makes sense most of the time and then move by hand in the
> remaining cases.  Or do you think tat the interface you want
> is dependent on the template you are using?
>
> - Carsten

That could be.  I'm still very much figuring out what the interface
between my brain and org looks like, and not currently using any of
the established planning styles.  I've only been using the agenda for
about half as long as I've been using org for example.

From my perspective, I saw two methods to do exactly the same thing(*),
which led to thinking about the advantages of each, which led to
thinking why not just merge them and have the advantages of both.

(*) Maybe this assumption was wrong?

Steve

* Re: Re: Remember and then refile
@ 2008-02-04 10:00             ` Carsten Dominik