On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 10:54:48AM -0400, Jeremy Cowgar wrote: > As an org user I would expect :tangle-mode 0660 to produce a file that > has user rw, group rw, other nothing. Instead, what really happens > currently is 0660 is treated as an integer which is actually > 3140. This produces unexpected file permissions. > > Prior to this patch to have rw,rw,none, one has to convert 0660 octal > into an integer (432) and then specify :tangle-mode 432. This is counter > intuitive and requires multiple steps. > > After this patch, one just specifies the octal code as you do with > chmod. :tangle-mode 0660 results in a file that is rw,rw,none. Hm. This looks dangerous: interpreting an integer as octal just due to the context? I do understand why, but still... Why not recommend Elisp's explicit syntax for octal representation, i.e. :tangle-mode #o660? And put a prominent note in the docs, of course. Cheers - t