On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 06:30:26AM +1000, Tim Cross wrote: > [...] For example, in an > interpreted language, you could have errors due to problems with the > interpreter, you could have errors in the code or you could have a code > block which legitimately returns an error [...] Yes, your error might be my nugget. For one illustrative example, I once cobbled up a small shell tutorial. Babel seemed like the right thing -- but I needed script snippets erroring out to show off. Needless to say, Babel freaked out, not only on non-zero exit codes, but also on any hint of activity on stderr. I cheated myself out with preambles and postambles, which redirected stderr to stdout and lied about exit codes. This is, of course, horribly ugly, because it's language-specific (you'd have to do it for C or Scheme or Perl or...), although the concepts of exit code and stderr are OS wide. We could do better :) Just one data point. Cheers - t