* Programmatically set TODO labels per file?
@ 2021-04-29 20:49 Arthur Miller
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-04-29 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I have a simple question, but I wasn't able to find answer on the web,
so finally I'll try my luck here.

I know I can setq org-todo-keywords with a list '((sequence "TODO"
DONE")), as an example. But what variable is used for per-file keywords?
Once that are set with #+TODO: ... line?

I guess when org mode parses a file when starting up the mode, it has to
parse that line into some var, where do I find it?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
/a

* Re: Programmatically set TODO labels per file?
@ 2021-04-29 21:09 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2021-04-29 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Miller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 10:49:54PM +0200, Arthur Miller wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a simple question, but I wasn't able to find answer on the web,
> so finally I'll try my luck here.
>
> I know I can setq org-todo-keywords with a list '((sequence "TODO"
> DONE")), as an example. But what variable is used for per-file keywords?
> Once that are set with #+TODO: ... line?
>
> I guess when org mode parses a file when starting up the mode, it has to
> parse that line into some var, where do I find it?

Use a file local variable?

That said (or rather, asked), I don't know whether there is a specific
Org way to achieve that.

Cheers
 - t

* Re: Programmatically set TODO labels per file?
@ 2021-04-29 21:20 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2021-04-29 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 10:49:54PM +0200, Arthur Miller wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a simple question, but I wasn't able to find answer on the web,
> so finally I'll try my luck here.
>
> I know I can setq org-todo-keywords with a list '((sequence "TODO"
> DONE")), as an example. But what variable is used for per-file keywords?
> Once that are set with #+TODO: ... line?
>
> I guess when org mode parses a file when starting up the mode, it has to
> parse that line into some var, where do I find it?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best regards
> /a

https://orgmode.org/manual/Per_002dfile-keywords.html

* Re: Programmatically set TODO labels per file?
@ 2021-04-29 21:58   ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-04-29 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 10:49:54PM +0200, Arthur Miller wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a simple question, but I wasn't able to find answer on the web,
>> so finally I'll try my luck here.
>>
>> I know I can setq org-todo-keywords with a list '((sequence "TODO"
>> DONE")), as an example. But what variable is used for per-file keywords?
>> Once that are set with #+TODO: ... line?
>>
>> I guess when org mode parses a file when starting up the mode, it has to
>> parse that line into some var, where do I find it?
>
> Use a file local variable?
>
> That said (or rather, asked), I don't know whether there is a specific
> Org way to achieve that.

As I understand the manual, the org specific way is to use per file
variable, but instead of using Emacs _*_ for file variables, org uses #+
and they do their own parsing seems like. I might missunderstand, but
the syntax to use is:

#+TODO: keyword1 keyword2 ... keywordN

I was looking around in org.el a bit now, and I see there are three vars
associated with per-file todo keywords: org-todo-keywords-1
org-todo-kwd-alist and org-todo-key-alist which seem to be set in
org-set-regexps-and-options function. I'll see if I can refactore
something out from there for my purpose.

* Re: Programmatically set TODO labels per file?
@ 2021-04-29 22:01   ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-04-29 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 10:49:54PM +0200, Arthur Miller wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a simple question, but I wasn't able to find answer on the web,
>> so finally I'll try my luck here.
>>
>> I know I can setq org-todo-keywords with a list '((sequence "TODO"
>> DONE")), as an example. But what variable is used for per-file keywords?
>> Once that are set with #+TODO: ... line?
>>
>> I guess when org mode parses a file when starting up the mode, it has to
>> parse that line into some var, where do I find it?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Best regards
>> /a
>>

> https://orgmode.org/manual/Per_002dfile-keywords.html

Thanks Rusell; but I have seen the manual as I wrote. I am aware I can
use

#+TODO:

syntax to set per file keywords. I wanted to do this from lisp, since I
can't use labels with multiple words with that syntax since spaces are
used as delimiters for keywords, but I can pass strings (with spaces)
with lisp.

* Re: Programmatically set TODO labels per file?
@ 2021-04-29 22:37     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2021-04-29 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Miller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

as you discovered, spaces can work for todo kw for at least some
purposes.  [i have one, because i prefer space to snake_case and
kebab-case might not search well.]  but you should check to see if it
is guaranteed to work.  i vaguely recall spc is not allowable.

if it were guaranteed to work, then there would likely be a mechanism
to include it in the #+ syntax.  :)

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

* Re: Programmatically set TODO labels per file?
@ 2021-04-29 22:48       ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-04-29 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> as you discovered, spaces can work for todo kw for at least some
> purposes.  [i have one, because i prefer space to snake_case and
> kebab-case might not search well.]  but you should check to see if it
> is guaranteed to work.  i vaguely recall spc is not allowable.
>
> if it were guaranteed to work, then there would likely be a mechanism
> to include it in the #+ syntax.  :)

Indeed, I am aware that spaces are not so welcome in some places
:). However this works fine:

(setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "first label" "second label")))

If it is guaranteed or not I have no idea, maybe some other APIs in org
are expecting labels to be single words, but for simple purpose it seems
to work. #+ could actually use just "" as grouping items or {}. For
example:

#+TODO: "item one" "item two" ... "item n"

or with {}

#+TODO: {item one} {item two} ... {item n}

When I tried, I got citation characters included in my label, which
wasn't really what I wanted either :).

@ 2021-04-30  1:08 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2021-04-30  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

> I have a simple question, but I wasn't able to find answer on the web,
> so finally I'll try my luck here.
>

> I know I can setq org-todo-keywords with a list '((sequence "TODO"
> DONE")), as an example. But what variable is used for per-file keywords?
> Once that are set with #+TODO: ... line?
>
> I guess when org mode parses a file when starting up the mode, it has to
> parse that line into some var, where do I find it?

It is parsed into a buffer-local variable by the name of
`org-todo-keywords-1'. Do `C-h v org-todo-keywords' and `C-h v
org-todo-keywords-1' for all the details.

BTW, when the interwebs fail you (or even before that), use the source :-)

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: Programmatically set TODO labels per file?
@ 2021-04-30 10:13   ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-04-30 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>
>> I have a simple question, but I wasn't able to find answer on the web,
>> so finally I'll try my luck here.
>>

>> I know I can setq org-todo-keywords with a list '((sequence "TODO"
>> DONE")), as an example. But what variable is used for per-file keywords?
>> Once that are set with #+TODO: ... line?
>>
>> I guess when org mode parses a file when starting up the mode, it has to
>> parse that line into some var, where do I find it?
>>

> It is parsed into a buffer-local variable by the name of
> `org-todo-keywords-1'. Do `C-h v org-todo-keywords' and `C-h v
> org-todo-keywords-1' for all the details.
>
> BTW, when the interwebs fail you (or even before that), use the source :-)

Yes indeed! I used the source Luke! :)

I found that one, unfortunately it is not enough to set that one to my
keywords. There are also two lists in play org-todo-kwd-alist and
org-todo-key-alist which are set in one mastodont method, but I think I
can refactor that out. I have to figure out how to build alist comming
from out org-collect-keywords which is input to that part of
code. Didn't had time last night, will see if I have time today.

* Re: Programmatically set TODO labels per file?
@ 2021-04-30 14:35     ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-04-30 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode