* [BUG] org-fill-paragraph [M-q] not apply on last paragraph
@ 2020-07-06  9:22 stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2020-07-06  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

After recently (about weeks) update in Org Mode "master" branch. I found [M-q]
org-fill-paragraph command not apply on the last paragraph of region select
large part of text. I don't have this problem before.

And I confirmed this problem with minimal Emacs config with latest "master"
branch of org-mode.

The command "emacs -q" don't have this problem.

--
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3

* Re: [BUG] org-fill-paragraph [M-q] not apply on last paragraph
@ 2020-07-06 10:09 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-07-06 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stardiviner; +Cc: Org Mode

Hello,

stardiviner <numbchild@gmail.com> writes:

> After recently (about weeks) update in Org Mode "master" branch. I found [M-q]
> org-fill-paragraph command not apply on the last paragraph of region select
> large part of text. I don't have this problem before.

This is very vague. Do you have an ECM demonstrating the issue?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [BUG] org-fill-paragraph [M-q] not apply on last paragraph
@ 2020-07-06 11:40   ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2020-07-06 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode

> Hello,
>
> stardiviner <numbchild@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> After recently (about weeks) update in Org Mode "master" branch. I found [M-q]
>> org-fill-paragraph command not apply on the last paragraph of region select
>> large part of text. I don't have this problem before.
>
> This is very vague. Do you have an ECM demonstrating the issue?

I have long minimal-init.el config file. I will attach the init file in attachments.

And here is the steps I reproduce this bug:

1. Open an Org file which contains long un-wrapped text. Like this:

   #+begin_src org
   In addition to debugging a program, VS Code supports running the program. The *Debug: Run (Start Without Debugging)* /action/ is triggered with =[Ctrl+F5]= and uses the currently selected launch configuration. Many of the launch configuration attributes are supported in 'Run' mode. VS Code maintains a debug session while the program is running, and pressing the Stop button terminates the program.

   Tip: The Run action is always available, but not all debugger extensions support 'Run'. In this case, 'Run' will be the same as 'Debug'.
   #+end_src

2. region select two paragraphs.

3. press [M-q] ~org-fill-paragraph~ command.

4. The second paragraph is not filled.

--
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3

[-- Attachment #2: minimal-init.el --]

[-- Attachment #3: init-package.el --]

* Re: [BUG] org-fill-paragraph [M-q] not apply on last paragraph
@ 2020-07-06 11:53     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-07-06 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 07:40:48PM +0800, stardiviner wrote:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > stardiviner <numbchild@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> After recently (about weeks) update in Org Mode "master" branch. I found [M-q]
> >> org-fill-paragraph command not apply on the last paragraph of region select
> >> large part of text. I don't have this problem before.
> >
> > This is very vague. Do you have an ECM demonstrating the issue?
>
> I have long minimal-init.el config file. I will attach the init file in attachments.
>
> And here is the steps I reproduce this bug:
>
> 1. Open an Org file which contains long un-wrapped text. Like this:
>
>    #+begin_src org
>    In addition to debugging a program, VS Code supports running the program. The *Debug: Run (Start Without Debugging)* /action/ is triggered with =[Ctrl+F5]= and uses the currently selected launch configuration. Many of the launch configuration attributes are supported in 'Run' mode. VS Code maintains a debug session while the program is running, and pressing the Stop button terminates the program.
>
>    Tip: The Run action is always available, but not all debugger extensions support 'Run'. In this case, 'Run' will be the same as 'Debug'.
>    #+end_src
>
> 2. region select two paragraphs.
>
> 3. press [M-q] ~org-fill-paragraph~ command.
>
> 4. The second paragraph is not filled.

FWIW, it does for me.

One thing I noticed, though, is that due to the long lines, the last one
may be partially selected. In that case, the unselected part doesn't get
the fill treatment. When I make sure /everything/ is selected, M-q does
what I expect.

Cheers
-- t

* Re: [BUG] org-fill-paragraph [M-q] not apply on last paragraph
@ 2020-07-06 11:58       ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2020-07-06 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

> On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 07:40:48PM +0800, stardiviner wrote:
>>
>> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

>> > This is very vague. Do you have an ECM demonstrating the issue?
>>
>> I have long minimal-init.el config file. I will attach the init file in attachments.
>>
>> And here is the steps I reproduce this bug:
>>
>> 1. Open an Org file which contains long un-wrapped text. Like this:
>>
>>    #+begin_src org
>>    In addition to debugging a program, VS Code supports running the program. The *Debug: Run (Start Without Debugging)* /action/ is triggered with =[Ctrl+F5]= and uses the currently selected launch configuration. Many of the launch configuration attributes are supported in 'Run' mode. VS Code maintains a debug session while the program is running, and pressing the Stop button terminates the program.
>>
>>    Tip: The Run action is always available, but not all debugger extensions support 'Run'. In this case, 'Run' will be the same as 'Debug'.
>>    #+end_src
>>
>> 2. region select two paragraphs.
>>
>> 3. press [M-q] ~org-fill-paragraph~ command.
>>
>> 4. The second paragraph is not filled.
>
> FWIW, it does for me.
>
> One thing I noticed, though, is that due to the long lines, the last one
> may be partially selected. In that case, the unselected part doesn't get
> the fill treatment. When I make sure /everything/ is selected, M-q does
> what I expect.

I'm sure I select everything. Are you using the latest commit in "master"
branch? If not, can you test with that?

--

@ 2020-07-06 15:33         ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-07-06 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stardiviner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 07:58:20PM +0800, stardiviner wrote:

> tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

[...]

> > FWIW, it does for me.

[...]

> I'm sure I select everything. Are you using the latest commit in "master"
> branch? If not, can you test with that?

Hm. It's Org 9.3, which came with a fairly recent Emacs off git. Perhaps
not the latest, I don't know how often the Emacs record merges Org.

How do I find out?

I'm a bit reluctant to install Org off the Emacs sources.

Cheers
-- t

* Re: [BUG] org-fill-paragraph [M-q] not apply on last paragraph
@ 2020-07-06 20:14           ` Richard Kim
From: Richard Kim @ 2020-07-06 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I see the problem as well using very latest org source code, i.e., this change

  * 2020-07-06 12:05:18 +0200 07a4a7286 Nicolas Goaziou list: Fix regression when inserting items

I created two long lines separated by a blank line.
Each long line was created by typing "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 " then repeating it 7 more times.

There are multiple problems.

1. Select both long lines and the blank line in between.
   M-q fills the first line but not the second one.

2. Select only the second line.
   M-q fills the first line, i.e., the line that was not selected!
   It does not fill the second line.

3. The problem occurs whether the long lines are delimited between
   #+begin_src ... #+end_src or not.

4. Select only the first line.
   M-q does nothing!

5. Select first line plus the following blank line.
   M-q fills first line.

6. The problem occurs for normal emacs mode as well vim mode within spacemacs.

* Re: [BUG] org-fill-paragraph [M-q] not apply on last paragraph
@ 2020-07-07  8:42     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-07-07  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stardiviner; +Cc: Org Mode

Hello,

stardiviner <numbchild@gmail.com> writes:

> And here is the steps I reproduce this bug:
>
> 1. Open an Org file which contains long un-wrapped text. Like this:
>
>    #+begin_src org
>    In addition to debugging a program, VS Code supports running the program. The *Debug: Run (Start Without Debugging)* /action/ is triggered with =[Ctrl+F5]= and uses the currently selected launch configuration. Many of the launch configuration attributes are supported in 'Run' mode. VS Code maintains a debug session while the program is running, and pressing the Stop button terminates the program.
>
>    Tip: The Run action is always available, but not all debugger extensions support 'Run'. In this case, 'Run' will be the same as 'Debug'.
>    #+end_src
>
> 2. region select two paragraphs.
>
> 3. press [M-q] ~org-fill-paragraph~ command.
>
> 4. The second paragraph is not filled.

Fixed. Thank you.

Nicolas Goaziou

* [SOLVED] Re: [BUG] org-fill-paragraph [M-q] not apply on last paragraph
@ 2020-07-08  1:43 ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2020-07-08  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

stardiviner <numbchild@gmail.com> writes:

> After recently (about weeks) update in Org Mode "master" branch. I found [M-q]
> org-fill-paragraph command not apply on the last paragraph of region select
> large part of text. I don't have this problem before.
>
> And I confirmed this problem with minimal Emacs config with latest "master"
> branch of org-mode.
>
> The command "emacs -q" don't have this problem.

In the latest "master" branch, Nicolas fixed this issue.