* Export question
@ 2010-05-25  3:09 Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2010-05-25  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I have the org-generic-export working better, but I'm having one
remaining problem:

I have been using org-export-preprocess-string to make it possible to
handle emphasis (previously o-g-e couldn't handle emphasis because it
did the translation line-by-line).

org-export-preprocess-string has fixed the problem of emphasis that
crosses line boundaries, so that I can handle fontification.

But now I have a problem of o-e-p-s smashing together more than one list
item into a single line, if those list items are on adjacent lines, like

+ foo
+ bar

question:  is this just something we should never do?  Should list items
always have line skips in the middle?  Or am I misusing o-e-p-s?

thanks!

Hope to have a pretty substantial org-generic-export patch available
Real Soon Now.

* Re: Export question
@ 2010-05-25 11:52 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-25 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpgoldman; +Cc: Org Mode

On May 25, 2010, at 5:09 AM, Robert Goldman wrote:

> I have the org-generic-export working better, but I'm having one
> remaining problem:
>
> I have been using org-export-preprocess-string to make it possible to
> handle emphasis (previously o-g-e couldn't handle emphasis because it
> did the translation line-by-line).
>
> org-export-preprocess-string has fixed the problem of emphasis that
> crosses line boundaries, so that I can handle fontification.
>
> But now I have a problem of o-e-p-s smashing together more than one
> list
> item into a single line, if those list items are on adjacent lines,
> like
>
> + foo
> + bar
>
> question:  is this just something we should never do?  Should list
> items
> always have line skips in the middle?  Or am I misusing o-e-p-s?

I cannot reproduce this.  But you give little context.  Please make a
more detailed example, maybe a simple test case where you throw some
data at o-e-p-s and it comes back wrong...

- Carsten

* Re: Export question
@ 2010-05-30 20:40   ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2010-05-30 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

On 5/25/10 May 25 -6:52 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On May 25, 2010, at 5:09 AM, Robert Goldman wrote:
>
>> I have the org-generic-export working better, but I'm having one
>> remaining problem:
>>
>> I have been using org-export-preprocess-string to make it possible to
>> handle emphasis (previously o-g-e couldn't handle emphasis because it
>> did the translation line-by-line).
>>
>> org-export-preprocess-string has fixed the problem of emphasis that
>> crosses line boundaries, so that I can handle fontification.
>>
>> But now I have a problem of o-e-p-s smashing together more than one list
>> item into a single line, if those list items are on adjacent lines, like
>>
>> + foo
>> + bar
>>
>> question:  is this just something we should never do?  Should list items
>> always have line skips in the middle?  Or am I misusing o-e-p-s?
>

> I cannot reproduce this.  But you give little context.  Please make a
> more detailed example, maybe a simple test case where you throw some
> data at o-e-p-s and it comes back wrong...

You were right and I was wrong.  I thought it was a problem with
o-e-p-s, but it turns out to be a problem with org-generic-export's
line-by-line processing.  Sorry about the red herring.  I have a fix to
org-generic-export that will handle this.

I am working on a wiki format (tikiwiki: tikiwiki.org) where the
processor decides that any line breaks indicate intent to preformat on
the part of the user.  It's turning out to be quite difficult to
harmonize this with line-by-line processing a la org-generic-export.

best,

* export question
@ 2013-09-01 16:49 Manfred Lotz
From: Manfred Lotz @ 2013-09-01 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,
I have an org file which looks like this:

* My list
** item1
   - p1 :: something
   - p2 :: 23232
   - p14 :: bla
** item2
   - p1 :: another valu
   - p2 :: 21
   - p14 :: more bla
** itemn
   - p1 :: hm
   - p2 :: 3842
   - p14 :: more more bla

... in the p list means there are also p3 till p13
... in the item list indicates there are n items actually.

Now I want to export the file to an ascii buffer/file where show the
content as a table. I want to omit certain p lines.

So I would like to have something like this where I would like to
show only certain columns.

 val     p1         p14
----------------------------------
 item 1  something  bla
 item n  hm         more more bla

How do I achieve this? I see basically two possibilities like follows:

1. write my own special exporter

2. write an external program which does it

I guess 1. makes much sense. In this case I like to know if there is a
tutorial showing how to do my own exporter or where to find specific
documentation how to do this?

Perhaps there is something very simple I do not even think of?

Any hints appreciated.

--
Thanks a lot in advance,
Manfred

* Re: export question
@ 2013-09-01 18:50 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-01 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 06:49:01PM +0200, Manfred Lotz wrote:

> Now I want to export the file to an ascii buffer/file where show the
> content as a table. I want to omit certain p lines.
>
> So I would like to have something like this where I would like to
> show only certain columns.
>

>  val     p1         p14
> ----------------------------------
>  item 1  something  bla
>  item n  hm         more more bla

 [...chomp...chomp...chomp...]

> I guess 1. makes much sense. In this case I like to know if there is a
> tutorial showing how to do my own exporter or where to find specific
> documentation how to do this?

ox-odt.el has a feature like this, list to tables.  You can take a look
there for hints.

--
Suvayu

* Re: export question
@ 2013-09-02 19:34   ` Manfred Lotz
From: Manfred Lotz @ 2013-09-02 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 20:50:07 +0200
Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 06:49:01PM +0200, Manfred Lotz wrote:
> >
> > Now I want to export the file to an ascii buffer/file where show the
> > content as a table. I want to omit certain p lines.
> >
> > So I would like to have something like this where I would like to
> > show only certain columns.
> >

> >  val     p1         p14
> > ----------------------------------
> >  item 1  something  bla
> >  item n  hm         more more bla
>
>  [...chomp...chomp...chomp...]
>
> > I guess 1. makes much sense. In this case I like to know if there
> > is a tutorial showing how to do my own exporter or where to find
> > specific documentation how to do this?
>
> ox-odt.el has a feature like this, list to tables.  You can take a
> look there for hints.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll look at it.

--
Manfred