* ODT export
@ 2013-08-12  0:24 Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2013-08-12  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have an org file with some latex src code blocks embedded in it.
These are mainly tables which could not be made using orgmode and had
to be coded in latex (orgmode does not allow putting notes at the
bottom of table using something like threeparttable).

I now need to convert the document to odt. What is my best bet? How
can I convert latex src code blocks to native org syntax, even if it
means loosing some of the things (for example, the threeparttable
stuff).

Or do I need to write it all over again?

Vikas

* Re: ODT export
@ 2013-08-12  2:59 ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2013-08-12  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Vikas,

I don't think you can convert latex bits to org automatically. I was in a
similar situation few days ago.

I had very satisfying results using LaTeX2HTML and libreoffice convert.
(org → latex → html → odt/doc)

Citing the procedure I used to convert.

╭─────┤ http://askubuntu.com/a/239332/18411 ├─────
│Believe it or not, with complex documents and lots of packages included, I got
│much better results with LaTeX2HTML than with LaTeX2RTF, Pandoc or TeX4ht.
│
│ latex2html texfile.tex -split 0 -no_navigation -info "" -address "" -html_version 4.0,unicode
│
│This will generate a folder with the same texfile name, so you'll be able to
│convert the generated HTML to ODT:
│
│libreoffice --headless --convert-to odt:"OpenDocument Text Flat XML" texfile/index.html
│
│This will produce a index.odt file. Take a look at this answer to check how to
│use LibreOffice's convert filters.
╰─────

On Aug 12 2013, Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> wrote:

> I have an org file with some latex src code blocks embedded in it.
> These are mainly tables which could not be made using orgmode and had
> to be coded in latex (orgmode does not allow putting notes at the
> bottom of table using something like threeparttable).
>
> I now need to convert the document to odt. What is my best bet? How
> can I convert latex src code blocks to native org syntax, even if it
> means loosing some of the things (for example, the threeparttable
> stuff).
>
> Or do I need to write it all over again?
>
> Vikas

Thanks.,
--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు.
YYR

* Re: ODT export
@ 2013-08-12 13:57   ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2013-08-12 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I don't think you can convert latex bits to org automatically. I was
> in a
> similar situation few days ago.
>
> I had very satisfying results using LaTeX2HTML and libreoffice
> convert.
> (org → latex → html → odt/doc)

Thanks Yagnesh.

I want to have a working org file that generate odt. Have therefore
manually converted latex code blocks to org syntax.

Thanks,

Vikas

* Re: ODT export
@ 2013-08-12 14:31   ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2013-08-12 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> ╭─────┤ http://askubuntu.com/a/239332/18411 ├─────
> │Believe it or not, with complex documents and lots of packages included, I got
> │much better results with LaTeX2HTML than with LaTeX2RTF, Pandoc or TeX4ht.
> │
> │ latex2html texfile.tex -split 0 -no_navigation -info "" -address "" -html_version 4.0,unicode
> │
> │This will generate a folder with the same texfile name, so you'll be able to
> │convert the generated HTML to ODT:
> │
> │libreoffice --headless --convert-to odt:"OpenDocument Text Flat XML" texfile/index.html
> │
> │This will produce a index.odt file. Take a look at this answer to check how to
> │use LibreOffice's convert filters.
> ╰─────

I tried this and it is indeed quite a promising solution.

For my document, however, the cross-references do not work in the odt
file (they do work in the html produced by latex2html).

Vikas

* ODT export
@ 2016-10-08  8:10 Philip Hudson
From: Philip Hudson @ 2016-10-08  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

First time out, very disappointing and confusing results.

Having created a styled example.odt file as per instructions in the manual...

(info "(org) Applying custom styles")

(BTW, the string "Stylist" does not appear anywhere in LibreOffice's
UI; there's more than enough difficulty here without adding impossible
instructions!)

Having torn my hair out en route to discovering that enclosing
double-quotes are mandatory for the #+ODT_STYLES_FILE...

Having finally got an apparently successful run of the exporter using
the styles file...

LaTeX to MathML converter not available.
Formatting LaTeX using verbatim
Wrote /home/phil/tmp/odt-22378aSo/meta.xml
Using schema /usr/share/emacs/etc/org/schema/od-schema-v1.2-os.rnc [2 times]
Saving file /home/phil/tmp/odt-22378aSo/styles.xml...
Wrote /home/phil/tmp/odt-22378aSo/styles.xml
Using vacuous schema
Wrote /home/phil/tmp/odt-22378aSo/mimetype
Using vacuous schema
Saving file /home/phil/tmp/odt-22378aSo/META-INF/manifest.xml...
Wrote /home/phil/tmp/odt-22378aSo/META-INF/manifest.xml
Saving file /home/phil/tmp/odt-22378aSo/content.xml...
Wrote /home/phil/tmp/odt-22378aSo/content.xml
(No changes need to be saved)
Creating ODT file...
Running zip -mX0 Invoice28.odt mimetype
Running zip -rmTq Invoice28.odt .
Created /home/phil/org/Customers/Invoice28.odt
Searching for `odt-22'....

I then open the resulting ODT file and find that a) my customization
of the "title" style does not appear and b) my top-level headline
appears as "Default Style" (in other words, not marked up at all), not
"Heading 1" as expected.

The temp directory ~/tmp/odt-xxxxx is apparently deleted on exit so I
can't examine the various intermediate XML files generated by export.

Help and advice please.

--
Phil Hudson                   http://hudson-it.ddns.net
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

* Re: ODT export
@ 2016-10-09  9:33 ` Philip Hudson
From: Philip Hudson @ 2016-10-09  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8 October 2016 at 09:10, Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@iname.com> wrote:
> First time out, very disappointing and confusing results.
>
> Having created a styled example.odt file as per instructions in the manual...
>
> (info "(org) Applying custom styles")

Sanity check: anyone able to confirm they've done this successfully?

--

@ 2016-10-11 16:58   ` Eduardo Mercovich
       [not found]     ` <f3d70ad741fd459ca272f553e551464a@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Eduardo Mercovich @ 2016-10-11 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Philip.

>> First time out, very disappointing and confusing results.
>> Having created a styled example.odt file as per instructions in the manual...
>> [...]
>> (info "(org) Applying custom styles")
> Sanity check: anyone able to confirm they've done this successfully?

I did it, but a looong time ago. I don't remember how to and since those
times, I had a new machine and reinstalled emacs/org-mode from zero to
make it clean, sorry I can't help.

The good news is that -at least in some previous past- it worked. :)

Best...

--
eduardo mercovich

 Donde se cruzan tus talentos
 con las necesidades del mundo,
 ahí está tu vocación.

* Re: ODT export
@ 2016-10-12  8:59     ` Christian Moe
       [not found]     ` <f3d70ad741fd459ca272f553e551464a@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Christian Moe @ 2016-10-12  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Haven't done this in a while, but I just tested, and ODT custom style files
work fine for me under Org 8.3.4. (Note: I haven't pulled the latest Org
changes; waiting for another package to catch up.)

I've never know this to fail as such. I did have a problem for a while
using .odt files as stylesheets on Mac under Snow Leopard, which
apparently didn't get the command Org used to unzip the ODT file and
extract the style document. I never found the fix, so for a while I
worked around it by extracting the style .xml manually and referenced that file
instead. Now everything seems to be working as it should, though.

Yours,
Christian

Eduardo Mercovich writes:

> Hi Philip.
>
>>> First time out, very disappointing and confusing results.
>>> Having created a styled example.odt file as per instructions in the manual...
>>> [...]
>>> (info "(org) Applying custom styles")
>> Sanity check: anyone able to confirm they've done this successfully?
>
> I did it, but a looong time ago. I don't remember how to and since those
> times, I had a new machine and reinstalled emacs/org-mode from zero to
> make it clean, sorry I can't help.
>
> The good news is that -at least in some previous past- it worked. :)
>
> Best...

* Re: ODT export
       [not found]     ` <f3d70ad741fd459ca272f553e551464a@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-10-13  7:40       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-10-13  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, 12 Oct 2016 at 08:59, Christian Moe wrote:
> I've never know this to fail as such. I did have a problem for a while

Not sure if this is relevant but just in case...

I had problems with ODT export for quite some time with the default
style.  I finally tracked it down to having some old configuration
inherited from some previous version of the libreoffice family of
tools.  I cleaned up (i.e. deleted) all ODT related configurations (not
emacs ones) and libreoffice now works just fine with exported documents
from org.  But I haven't tried anything other than the default style.

Check ~/.openoffice.org, ~/.openoffice.org2, ~/.config/libreoffice, and
maybe other places.

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.1.1, Org release_8.3.6-1207-g91e263

* Re: ODT export
@ 2017-07-03  4:02 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2017-07-03  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Philip,

Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@iname.com> writes:

> First time out, very disappointing and confusing results.

Did you try the ODT exporter again with better results?

--
 Bastien