* Editing folded headlines and ellipses
@ 2013-03-10  0:37 Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-03-10  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Org mode

Hi Bastien and others,

I remember someone (maybe Bastien) putting in a safeguard quite sometime
back that would unfold a headline with a warning when you tried to edit
near the ellipses.  This was to protect against accidental edits.  I see
this not there anymore, can we have it back?

I tried looking for the thread/patch but couldn't find it.

Hope this helps,

PS: Patchwork seems to be down.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Editing folded headlines and ellipses
@ 2013-03-10  9:34 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-03-10  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

Hi Suvayu,

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> I remember someone (maybe Bastien) putting in a safeguard quite sometime
> back that would unfold a headline with a warning when you tried to edit
> near the ellipses.  This was to protect against accidental edits.  I see
> this not there anymore, can we have it back?

You mean `org-catch-invisible-edits'?  It's still here...

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Editing folded headlines and ellipses
@ 2013-03-10  9:57   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-03-10  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

Hi Bastien,

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 10:34:26AM +0100, Bastien wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I remember someone (maybe Bastien) putting in a safeguard quite sometime
> > back that would unfold a headline with a warning when you tried to edit
> > near the ellipses.  This was to protect against accidental edits.  I see
> > this not there anymore, can we have it back?
>
> You mean `org-catch-invisible-edits'?  It's still here...

Ah, I missed it since I did not have that variable set.  Thanks and
sorry for the noise.

Cheers,

--

@ 2013-03-11 14:04     ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2013-03-11 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: Bastien, Emacs Org mode

That is another nice feature of org-mode I didn't know about.
I set the variable to 'error now..

Any reason why nil is the default?

@ 2013-03-12 12:45       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-03-12 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

Hi Darlan,

Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <darcamo@gmail.com> writes:

> That is another nice feature of org-mode I didn't know about.

I just documented it in the manual, thanks!

> I set the variable to 'error now..
>
> Any reason why nil is the default?

IMO setting it to non-nil would be too intrusive for
most users.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Editing folded headlines and ellipses
@ 2013-03-12 13:44         ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2013-03-12 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

At Tue, 12 Mar 2013 13:45:27 +0100,
Bastien wrote:

> Hi Darlan,
>
> Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <darcamo@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > That is another nice feature of org-mode I didn't know about.
>
> I just documented it in the manual, thanks!
>
> > I set the variable to 'error now..
> >
> > Any reason why nil is the default?
>
> IMO setting it to non-nil would be too intrusive for
> most users.

That is true, but in this case I think it is a good thing, specially for
new users. I have edited some invisible part by mistake in the past, but
because I saw my mistake I could undo until the buffer was not marked as
modified anymore (I save a lot, therefore this was enough). Nowadays I'm
always careful to avoid this, but having org-mode do that for me gives me
some piece of mind that I won't mess with my precious org-mode files by
mistake..

In my case I don't think I'll ever need to edit invisible text by hand. The
only time I edit invisible text is when performing some search and
replacement in some region containing folded subtrees (or in the whole
buffer), but this works even org-catch-invisible-edits is set to error,
which is great for me.

I don't know which option would be a better default, but I think nil is not
the one (unless there is some performance loss I didn't see due to the
check).

--
Darlan

> --
>  Bastien

* Should org-catch-invisible-edits default to non-nil? (was: Editing folded headlines and ellipses)
@ 2013-03-12 14:21           ` Bastien
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Bastien @ 2013-03-12 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

Hi Darlan,

Mhh... yes, I see.

I'm not against changing the default for `org-catch-invisible-edits'
but I'd like to know what other contributors think.

So here it is: what do you guys think the defauld should be?

 Bastien

* Re: Should org-catch-invisible-edits default to non-nil? (was: Editing folded headlines and ellipses)
@ 2013-03-12 14:29             ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-03-12 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-03-12, o godz. 15:21:53
Bastien <bzg@altern.org> napisał(a):

> Hi Darlan,
>
> Mhh... yes, I see.
>
> I'm not against changing the default for `org-catch-invisible-edits'
> but I'd like to know what other contributors think.
>
> So here it is: what do you guys think the defauld should be?

I'm not (yet?) a contributor, just a simpleton user, but for me: nil is
a bad idea here.

> Thanks,

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Should org-catch-invisible-edits default to non-nil? (was: Editing folded headlines and ellipses)
@ 2013-03-12 14:29             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-03-12 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

On 12.3.2013, at 15:21, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Hi Darlan,
>
> Mhh... yes, I see.
>
> I'm not against changing the default for `org-catch-invisible-edits'
> but I'd like to know what other contributors think.
>
> So here it is: what do you guys think the defauld should be?

I think the default should be nil.  Org-mode is also a basic text mode, and I think it should not deviate too much from other modes.

I think better advertising this might be all that is needed.

- Carsten

* Re: Should org-catch-invisible-edits default to non-nil? (was: Editing folded headlines and ellipses)
@ 2013-03-12 14:33             ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-03-12 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Org mode

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 03:21:53PM +0100, Bastien wrote:

> I'm not against changing the default for `org-catch-invisible-edits'
> but I'd like to know what other contributors think.
>
> So here it is: what do you guys think the defauld should be?

Although I set it to 'show, I still think the default should be nil.  My
reasoning is simple; the alternatives are too many and too varied.

Cheers,

--

@ 2013-03-13  9:00           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-03-13  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

Okay, let's stick to nil as the default value for
`org-catch-invisible-edits' -- it is now documented in
the manual, which is good enough IMO.

 Bastien