* Annoying empty line after M-RET / C-RET
@ 2012-12-06 15:21 Volker Grabsch
From: Volker Grabsch @ 2012-12-06 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Dear Org-Mode Gurus,

I noticed some strange behaviour in Org Mode. I'm not sure
if this happens for a good reason, or is simply a bug.
Either way, it's pretty annoying.

Normally, C-RET inserts a new empty headline directly after
the previous one, i.e.

--------------------------------
Stuff
* Head 1_
--------------------------------

[C-RET]

--------------------------------
Stuff
* Head 1
* _
--------------------------------

(where underscore "_" denotes the cursor)

However, if the headline is preceded by an empty line,
for whathever reason, the C-RET and M-RET commands
add an extra newline:

--------------------------------
Stuff

* Head 1_
--------------------------------

[C-RET]

--------------------------------
Stuff

* Head 1

* _
--------------------------------

This is especially annoying when quickly typing notes
into a small set of headers.

A similar behaviour occurs at deeper levels as well.
Also, this happens if there's a previous entry that
ends with an empty line (i.e. it doesn't have to happen
at the first headline entry).

Is this a bug? Does it happen for a good reason (if so,
what's the use case)? Can this be turned off?

Thanks,
Volker

--
Volker Grabsch
---<<(())>>---

* Re: Annoying empty line after M-RET / C-RET
@ 2012-12-07  2:15 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-12-07  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Volker Grabsch <vog@notjusthosting.com> writes:

> Dear Org-Mode Gurus,
>
> I noticed some strange behaviour in Org Mode. I'm not sure
> if this happens for a good reason, or is simply a bug.
> Either way, it's pretty annoying.
>
> Normally, C-RET inserts a new empty headline directly after
> the previous one, i.e.

Check the docstring and value of org-blank-before-new-entry.

I think by default it tries to guess what you want by looking at what's
already there: ie it interprets the previous blank line above your
current heading to mean that you like having blank lines between all
your headings.

* Re: Annoying empty line after M-RET / C-RET
@ 2012-12-07 10:29   ` Volker Grabsch
From: Volker Grabsch @ 2012-12-07 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eric Abrahamsen schrieb:
> I think by default it tries to guess what you want by looking at what's
> already there: ie it interprets the previous blank line above your
> current heading to mean that you like having blank lines between all
> your headings.

Ah, okay. That makes sense to me. So I'll either have to be
consistent with empty lines (using or not using them), or I'll
have to adjust org-blank-before-new-entry.

Also, I just noticed that this is explained in the FAQ:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#blank-line-after-headlines-and-list-items

Sorry for not having looked there before asking.

Regards,
Volker

--
Volker Grabsch