From: SAKURAI Masashi <m.sakurai@kiwanami.net>
To: rasmus@gmx.us
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [calfw] Better use of space
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 16:03:58 +0900	[thread overview]

Hi Rasmus,

At Thu, 21 Jul 2011 10:57:45 +0200,
Rasmus wrote:
> :
> I have a feature request for Calfw.
>
> Masashi, would you prefer these to be posted here or on your github
> page?

I like here because I can get more comments than do in other channels.
I'm sorry that other members does not feel noisy.

I can catch both track and I will manage incoming issues and my
progress. Then, I will announce calfw updates here.

> Anyhow, the month view is just superb!
>
> However, when using especially the two week view (and this is probably
> also true for the week view) I would like calfw to utilize vertical
> space better. By 'better' I basically mean that I would like calfw to be
> greedy.
>
> Refer to the following screenshot:
>
>    http://ompldr.org/vOWtjdA
>
> Compare (the second week) to Google Cal:
>
>    http://ompldr.org/vOWtjdg
>
> Seeing there is a lot of space left in each of Calfw's day-column it
> would be nice if it could be used to enhance the overview. This could
> for example be archived mapping events against time on the vertical axis
> as the Google calendar does (and also Mozilla Lightning but it no longer
> work on my system). This might also allow for printing more text from
> the even entry (using multiple lines).

Thanks for your request and good images.
I think this request involves 3 functions.

* Time table layout

I think this function is very difficult, because it needs many study
for me to implement, including following functions.
Of course, I consider the time table view is one of the goal of calfw.

* Display multiple-lines items (the source splits an item multiple lines.)

This is not so difficult. In this mechanism, the source objects can
propose some formats, for example, "15:00 appointment" and ("15:00-15:30"
"appointment"). Then, calfw chooses the suitable format and displays
in the current layout algorithm.

I will design the interface between cfw:source and calfw, and
implement it.

* Word-wrapping and folding lines (calfw splits lines within a column.)

This is little difficult. I think word-wrapping, folding lines and
truncating strings can not be achieved in the narrow columns
straightforwardly. I need a time to study this issue.

> On the other hand we probably also want to make sure that it is still
> works on a 800x600 display. Thus, it might be best to introduce a
> governing variable.

Yes. It is good idea.

SAKURAI, Masashi (family, given)
m.sakurai@kiwanami.net