* Re: zotero (or mendeley) integration with org
@ 2011-03-27  3:12 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2011-03-27  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Stephen Eglen wrote:
> I've not yet switched to a pdf manager (they're all stuffed into a folder, with a few subfolders, and the only meta-data is
> in the filename!), so I'd appreciate hearing what others to do to look after their pdfs.

Maybe look at tracker [assuming linux] http://projects.gnome.org/tracker/ ?
More generally http://www.wikinfo.org/index.php/Comparison_of_desktop_search_software

* Re: Re: zotero (or mendeley) integration with org
@ 2011-03-27  4:52 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-03-27  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 08:42:19 +0530
Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:

> Stephen Eglen wrote:
> > I've not yet switched to a pdf manager (they're all stuffed into a
> > folder, with a few subfolders, and the only meta-data is in the
> > filename!), so I'd appreciate hearing what others to do to look
> > after their pdfs.
>
> Maybe look at tracker [assuming linux]
> http://projects.gnome.org/tracker/ ? More generally
> http://www.wikinfo.org/index.php/Comparison_of_desktop_search_software

or Recoll (on GNU/Linux)

--
Suvayu

* Re: Re: zotero (or mendeley) integration with org
@ 2011-03-30  0:54   ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2011-03-30  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Stephen Eglen

It's in my mind to find a way to use orgmode for organizing pdfs and BibTex
data.  I haven't untangled storage of PDFs and linking to BibTeX, and I
haven't found a solution to organizing it all through orgmode.

An important piece of the puzzle, though, needs mention: cb2bib helps
semi-automate making a BibTeX entry from a citation, or Google Scholar
BibTeX output.

I wonder if it would help to use orgmode for bibtex *.bib files.  I think
comments can be included in those files.  Or does it also work the other way
around, that any file can be used as a bibtex source database?

Matt's workflow makes sense.

Alan Davis

* Re: Re: zotero (or mendeley) integration with org
@ 2011-03-30  8:26     ` Cian
From: Cian @ 2011-03-30  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just use refmode to insert bib citations into my org-files. Both
Zotero and Mendeley can export bibtex files, so that's one method of
semi-automating the process (Mendeley will automatically update the
file for you - not sure about Zotero).

@ 2011-03-30 14:34     ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2011-03-30 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:54:58AM +1000, Alan E. Davis wrote:
> I wonder if it would help to use orgmode for bibtex *.bib files.  I think
> comments can be included in those files.

yes. there is a @comment command, but bibtex ignores everything that's not
inside an @<entry>, @string or @preamble command, so that you could create an
org file that contains bibtex entries and use that as your bibliography file.

however, i don't know if biblatex+biber is equally forgiving.

>  Or does it also work the other way
> around, that any file can be used as a bibtex source database?

in essence yes, as long as it's a text file and contains valid bibtex entries.
(note that bibtex isn't unicode-aware; i have no idea how bibtex reacts to files
containing unicode characters in text it's ignoring.)

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Re: zotero (or mendeley) integration with org
@ 2011-04-02  1:40             ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2011-04-02  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Stephen Eglen

Is it possible to use org babel to extract bibtex entries from file of notes
to a *.bib file?

The stumbling point for me in saving bibtex sources is I don't see a way to
use the file as a bibtex *.bib file so as to use that as the direct source
for the publication.  Perhaps this could be automated with babel?

Alan

@ 2011-04-02 13:37               ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-04-02 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible to use org babel to extract bibtex entries from file of notes
> to a *.bib file?
>
> The stumbling point for me in saving bibtex sources is I don't see a way to
> use the file as a bibtex *.bib file so as to use that as the direct source
> for the publication.  Perhaps this could be automated with babel?

Would tangling do what you want?  Seems to work for me:

#+babel: :tangle hens.bib

* heat exchanger network synthesis
*** Rewriting grammar for HENS with splitting (Fraga, 2009)
#+begin_src bib
@article{fraga-2009a,
	title = {A rewriting grammar for heat exchanger network structure evolution with stream splitting},
	volume = 41,
	issn = {{0305-215X}},
	doi = {10.1080/03052150903070153},
	number = 9,
	journal = {Engineering Optimization},
	author = {Eric S. Fraga},
	year = 2009,
	pages = {813-831}
}
#+end_src

Put this in a file, t.org say, and hit =C-c C-v t= (=org-babel-tangle=)
and it should create =hens.bib=.  Sorry for the self-citation here ;-)

You could also put the actual tangle destination on each src block, in
case you want to tangle to more than one file from the same org file.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.128.ga9e6)

* Re: Re: zotero (or mendeley) integration with org
@ 2011-04-02 14:13                 ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2011-04-02 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode; +Cc: Matt Lundin