* org-mode (recent git) tries to open .c and other plaintext file:// links with less on debian
@ 2010-04-07 15:46 ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2010-04-07 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I just wondered why my file links to c-sources would not work any more:

 [[file:~/anon-vc/emacs/src/emacs.c::fatal_error_signal%20sig][file:~/anon-vc/emacs/src/emacs.c::fatal_error_signal sig]]

until I looked what org-open-file does with edebug and noticed it
tries to handle the file according to its mailcap entry.

Which is, on my debian testing systems:

text/plain; less '%s'; needsterminal

which makes a lot of sense when I try to open a plaintext file
attachment e.g. with mutt.

From emacs, not so good.

Indeed, M-x list-processes lists a less process:

Proc                                     Status   Buffer Tty        Command
----                                     ------   ------ ---        -------
less /home/fdf/anon-vc/emacs/src/emacs.c run      (none) /dev/pts/6 /usr/bin/zsh -c less /home/fdf/anon-vc/emacs/src/emacs.c

--
        Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs <friedel@nomaden.org>
                             TauPan on Ircnet and Freenode ;)

* Example of failing link
@ 2010-04-07 21:13 Paul Schlesinger
From: Paul Schlesinger @ 2010-04-07 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just revisited the same experienmce with 6.35e.
All of my links give the same results but one example is

[[file:apoptosis.org::*Topics][Topics and Ideas]]

Paul Schlesinger
"... the justification for a physical concept lies exclusively
in its clear and unambiguous relation to facts that can be experienced."
A. Einstein Kings College 1921

Message: 26
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:51:19 -0500
From: "Paul Schlesinger" <pschlesinger@wustl.edu>
Subject: [Orgmode] Org 6.35
To: <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>

Just down loaded and install 6.35 from web site. Running XP and emacs. When trying to follow link I get an error
ShellExecute failed.  Moved back to 6.34c and everything works fine.

Paul Schlesinger
"... the justification for a physical concept lies exclusively
in its clear and unambiguous relation to facts that can be experienced."
A. Einstein Kings College 1921
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 27
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 07:56:27 +0200
From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org 6.35
To: Paul Schlesinger <pschlesinger@wustl.edu>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Paul,

can you please post the link that causes problems?

Thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: Example of failing link
@ 2010-04-08 13:57 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-08 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Schlesinger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Paul

I think this is fixed with the current git master - please check.

- Carsten

On Apr 7, 2010, at 11:13 PM, Paul Schlesinger wrote:

> I just revisited the same experienmce with 6.35e.
> All of my links give the same results but one example is
>
> [[file:apoptosis.org::*Topics][Topics and Ideas]]
>
> Paul Schlesinger
> "... the justification for a physical concept lies exclusively
> in its clear and unambiguous relation to facts that can be
> experienced."
> A. Einstein Kings College 1921
>

> Message: 26
> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:51:19 -0500
> From: "Paul Schlesinger" <pschlesinger@wustl.edu>
> Subject: [Orgmode] Org 6.35
> To: <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
>
> Just down loaded and install 6.35 from web site. Running XP and
> emacs. When trying to follow link I get an error
> ShellExecute failed.  Moved back to 6.34c and everything works fine.
>
> Paul Schlesinger
> "... the justification for a physical concept lies exclusively
> in its clear and unambiguous relation to facts that can be
> experienced."
> A. Einstein Kings College 1921
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 27
> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 07:56:27 +0200
> From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org 6.35
> To: Paul Schlesinger <pschlesinger@wustl.edu>
> Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> can you please post the link that causes problems?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: org-mode (recent git) tries to open .c and other plaintext file:// links with less on debian
@ 2010-04-08 15:27   ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2010-04-08 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hiho!

Confirmed fixed (for me) with recent git. Thanks! ;)

I didn't notice that this issue was double-posted:

Ich schrieb:
>  [[file:~/anon-vc/emacs/src/emacs.c::fatal_error_signal%20sig][file:~/anon-vc/emacs/src/emacs.c::fatal_error_signal sig]]
>
> until I looked what org-open-file does with edebug and noticed it
> tries to handle the file according to its mailcap entry.
>
> Which is, on my debian testing systems:
>
> text/plain; less '%s'; needsterminal
>
> which makes a lot of sense when I try to open a plaintext file
> attachment e.g. with mutt.
>
> >From emacs, not so good.
>
> Indeed, M-x list-processes lists a less process:
>
> Proc                                     Status   Buffer Tty        Command
> less /home/fdf/anon-vc/emacs/src/emacs.c run      (none) /dev/pts/6 /usr/bin/zsh -c less /home/fdf/anon-vc/emacs/src/emacs.c
---Zitatende---