From: broek@cc.umanitoba.ca
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: org-archive-save-context-info questions
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 01:09:14 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi all,

I've recently returned to regular org-mode use after a bit of a lapse
and have opted to start my configuration from scratch. While setting
up the archiving behaviour, I've discovered a few things about the
variable org-archive-save-context-info that strike me as undesirable
or puzzling.

1) The docstring reads (in part):
       itags      The local tags, in the headline of the subtree.
       ltags      The tags the subtree inherits from further up the hierarchy.
Easy enough to work out for oneself, but I assume the descriptions and
names have been switched.

2) The customize interface for the variable presents two check-boxes
both labeled `TODO state.' That seemed odd.  dive into the source, and
it looks to me and my weak elisp as though they are generated by the
lines in org-archive.el that read:
	  (const :tag "TODO state" todo)
	  (const :tag "TODO state" priority)
It would seem to me that the second ought be described as `TODO priority'.

3) I spent a bit being very puzzled about why C-h v
org-archive-save-context-info yielded the claim that there was no
matching variable. It also didn't show up in the customize interface.
Puzzled, I created a dummy headline to test what would happen on
archiving. After archiving once, the variable exists. Is there some
reason for making the variable dependent upon an invocation of
org-archive-subtree? I doubt it will confound me again, but there
wouldn't have been a problem were the variable initialized when
org-mode is entered rather than upon a first archiving.

Thanks and best,

Brian vdB