* Agenda publishing
@ 2008-02-19  1:29 lanas
From: lanas @ 2008-02-19  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

  I'm taking a look at orgmode for the possibility of organizing simple
projects.  Is it possible to export an agenda view or some other agenda
data so that it can be eventually rendered in an HTML browser using a
calendar ?  Or better yet, if tags are used to assign individual tasks
to team members, rendered as some kind of a chart over time ?

  I've seen mentions of iCal here and there but don't know what this is
about.  Could exporting to iCal format accomplish these goals  and if
so, what would be the software at the other end that would read ans
render in HTML format ?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Al

* Re: Agenda publishing
@ 2008-02-19  3:41 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-02-19  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lanas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Lanas,

lanas <lanas@securenet.net> writes:

>   I'm taking a look at orgmode for the possibility of organizing simple
> projects.  Is it possible to export an agenda view or some other agenda
> data so that it can be eventually rendered in an HTML browser using a
> calendar ?

Yes.

See this info node:

,----[ (info "(org)Exporting Agenda Views") ]
| If you are away from your computer, it can be very useful to have a
| printed version of some agenda views to carry around.  Org-mode can
| export custom agenda views as plain text, HTML(1) and postscript.  If
| you want to do this only occasionally, use the command
`----

If you want an HTML version of the current agenda view, then just do
`C-x C-w' when you're in the agenda view and enter an HTML file name.

> Or better yet, if tags are used to assign individual tasks
> to team members, rendered as some kind of a chart over time ?

Yes.  For this you will need to define a "block agenda".

See the manual here: (info "(org)Block agenda")

     (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
           '(("p" "List of tasks for people"
              ((tags "Alfred")
               (tags "Antoine")
               (tags "Me"))
              nil
              ("~/agendas_html/tags_people.html"))))

M-x org-agenda RET p RET will display a list of blocks, each one listing
the item tagged with the people names.  Then you can export this with
`C-x C-w'.

If you want to store such agenda views from the command line:

~$ emacs -f org-batch-store-agenda-views -kill

>   I've seen mentions of iCal here and there but don't know what this is
> about.

iCal (as a short name for "iCalendar") is a standard for calendar data
exchange: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICalendar

> Could exporting to iCal format accomplish these goals  and if
> so, what would be the software at the other end that would read ans
> render in HTML format ?

Exporting to iCal will lets you export your agenda entries, but not your
agenda views.  The agenda entries will be taken from the current buffer
when you export it to iCalendar with `C-c C-e i' or from all the agenda
files when you export them with `C-c C-e I'.

In any case, I guess the iCalendar export won't let you have all the
flexibility of agenda views, but you definitely can use the iCalendar
export to share calendar informations with others.

For example, you can upload an `my_org_file.ics' file somewhere on the
web and tell your friends to synchronize their iCal app with it.  iCal
is now standard and there are many apps that can read it (iCal, Google
calendar, evolution, etc.)

As for myself, I upload a .ics to the web, feed it to Google calendar
then create a HTML webpage from this google calendar for everyone to
check the calendar I am locally maintaining.

HTH,

--
Bastien

* Re: Agenda publishing
@ 2008-02-21  0:37   ` lanas
From: lanas @ 2008-02-21  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le Mardi, 19 Février 2008 03:41:00 +0000,
Bastien <bzg@altern.org> a écrit :

Bonjour,

> >   I'm taking a look at orgmode for the possibility of organizing
> > simple projects.  Is it possible to export an agenda view or some
> > other agenda data so that it can be eventually rendered in an HTML
> > browser using a calendar ?

> If you want an HTML version of the current agenda view, then just do

I'm trying this but org saves the content of the agenda (for instance
generated with 'C-c a L') as plain text, even though I specify a file
name of: test.html.  Do I need to add any other package to emacs to
have this functionality ?

Cheers,

Al

* Re: Agenda publishing
@ 2008-02-21  1:09     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-02-21  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lanas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

lanas <lanas@securenet.net> writes:

> Le Mardi, 19 Février 2008 03:41:00 +0000,
> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> a écrit :
>
> Bonjour,
>
>> >   I'm taking a look at orgmode for the possibility of organizing
>> > simple projects.  Is it possible to export an agenda view or some
>> > other agenda data so that it can be eventually rendered in an HTML
>> > browser using a calendar ?
>
>> If you want an HTML version of the current agenda view, then just do
>
> I'm trying this but org saves the content of the agenda (for instance
> generated with 'C-c a L') as plain text, even though I specify a file
> name of: test.html.  Do I need to add any other package to emacs to
> have this functionality ?

Yes, you need htmlize.el:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Htmlize

--
Bastien

* Re: Agenda publishing
@ 2008-02-22  0:41       ` lanas
From: lanas @ 2008-02-22  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le Jeudi, 21 Février 2008 01:09:40 +0000,
Bastien <bzg@altern.org> a écrit :

>> I'm trying this but org saves the content of the agenda (for
>> instance generated with 'C-c a L') as plain text, even though I
>> specify a file name of: test.html.  Do I need to add any other
>> package to emacs to have this functionality ?

> Yes, you need htmlize.el:

> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Htmlize

At first it still did not work, even with htmlize.  But then I was
using Orgmode that came with emacs 22.1.  I got the latest, and put it
in the site-list directory while removing the two org files in 22.1/.

With the latest Orgmode, it works.  It works even too well.  I mean, is
there a way to produce a somewhat sober output than an actual emacs
'screenshot' (in my case with the blue background I'm using in
emacs) ?  Something like the regular html output of an org file done
with org-export-as-html.  The blue background and the actual emacs
fonts are nice in html but are a bit too colorful for regular use.

The latest Orgmode works nicely, but a bit on the slow side for loading
times.  I think there's a way to compile .el files to accelerate
processing.  Could you tell me what command is used to compile Orgmode ?

Thanks,

Al

* Re: Agenda publishing
@ 2008-02-22  1:19         ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-02-22  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lanas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 6:11 AM, lanas <lanas@securenet.net> wrote:
> Le Jeudi, 21 Février 2008 01:09:40 +0000,
>
> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> a écrit :
>

> >> I'm trying this but org saves the content of the agenda (for
>  >> instance generated with 'C-c a L') as plain text, even though I
>  >> specify a file name of: test.html.  Do I need to add any other
>  >> package to emacs to have this functionality ?
>
>  > Yes, you need htmlize.el:
>
>  > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Htmlize
>
>  At first it still did not work, even with htmlize.  But then I was
>  using Orgmode that came with emacs 22.1.  I got the latest, and put it
>  in the site-list directory while removing the two org files in 22.1/.
>
>  With the latest Orgmode, it works.  It works even too well.  I mean, is
>  there a way to produce a somewhat sober output than an actual emacs
>  'screenshot' (in my case with the blue background I'm using in
>  emacs) ?  Something like the regular html output of an org file done
>  with org-export-as-html.  The blue background and the actual emacs
>  fonts are nice in html but are a bit too colorful for regular use.
>
>  The latest Orgmode works nicely, but a bit on the slow side for loading
>  times.  I think there's a way to compile .el files to accelerate
>  processing.  Could you tell me what command is used to compile Orgmode ?

Just a `make' in org directory should do it.

--
Manish

* Re: Agenda publishing
@ 2008-02-22  1:35           ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-02-22  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

>>  At first it still did not work, even with htmlize.  But then I was
>>  using Orgmode that came with emacs 22.1.  I got the latest, and put it
>>  in the site-list directory while removing the two org files in
>>  22.1/.

Yes.  Sorry, I often wrongly assume people are using a recent Org.

>>  With the latest Orgmode, it works.  It works even too well.  I mean, is
>>  there a way to produce a somewhat sober output than an actual emacs
>>  'screenshot' (in my case with the blue background I'm using in
>>  emacs) ?  Something like the regular html output of an org file done
>>  with org-export-as-html.  The blue background and the actual emacs
>>  fonts are nice in html but are a bit too colorful for regular use.

This has been previously requested, as long with some code to export in
a TeX file.  I am working on code that will help do this.

>>  The latest Orgmode works nicely, but a bit on the slow side for loading
>>  times.  I think there's a way to compile .el files to accelerate
>>  processing.  Could you tell me what command is used to compile Orgmode ?
>>

> Just a `make' in org directory should do it.

Alternatively, if for one reason or another you want to compile .el
files by hand, go to a directory with `C-x d', mark .el files with
`% m \.el RET", then try to byte-compile them all with `B'.

HTH,

--
Bastien

* Re: Agenda publishing
@ 2008-02-22  3:04             ` lanas
From: lanas @ 2008-02-22  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

From: lanas <lanas@securenet.net>
To: Bastien Guerry <Bastien.Guerry@ens.fr>
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Agenda publishing
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:14:39 -0500

Le Vendredi, 22 Février 2008 01:35:31 +0000,
Bastien Guerry <Bastien.Guerry@ens.fr> a écrit :

(sorry for the private reply as sometimes for some reason
sylpheed uses the private e-mail instead of the mailing lists')

> Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

>> Just a `make' in org directory should do it.
>
> Alternatively, if for one reason or another you want to compile .el
> files by hand, go to a directory with `C-x d', mark .el files with
> `% m \.el RET", then try to byte-compile them all with `B'.

Thanks a lot for your help, it's appreciated.  The make works but one
thing is left out: emacs is still referring to the previous (4.67) info
pages.  Doing a 'make install' has created /usr/local/info/.  Then I had
to copy the file to /usr/local/share/info/ which is where the otehr
info files are on a Fedora Core 6 system.

Cheers,

Al