* Re: Release 5.22 (Carsten Dominik
       [not found] <200802191705.m1JH5qll027622@bp34.u.washington.edu>
@ 2008-02-19 18:02 ` Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2008-02-19 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:
>     - M-RET no longer brakes a line in the middle, it will make a
>       new line after the current or (if cursor is at the beginning
>       of the line) before the current line.

I there a way to restore the old M-RET behavior?

I use it all the time when brainstorming:  Often, when I see that the
headline I'm typing is getting too complicated, I find that it needs to
be broken into sub topics -- easy to do when you can walk the cursor
through the headline and break it up with M-ret.

Suppose I've typed:

* Danish Bakfietsen: extended front wheel centers mass, adds steering
linkage, cost, handling?

This is too long, and I have more info to add.  After a couple of
M-ret's and M-right arrows, I have:

* Danish Bakfietsen
** extended front wheel centers mass
** adds steering linkage, cost, handling?

I realize that I will have a lot to say about cost and handling, so I
M-ret again:

* Danish Bakfietsen
** extended front wheel centers mass
** adds steering linkage,
*** cost,
*** handling?

For me, one of the biggest org mode strengths is how quickly you can map
out a thought and then reorganize with a few quick keystrokes -- the old
M-ret behavior is just one example.  Based on listserv traffic, it
sounds like most people use org mode for task tracking and GTD, so maybe
my usage scenario is too outside of the mainstream, but still, I really
liked  M-ret the way it was.

Keep up the good work,

Scott

* Re: Re: Release 5.22 (Carsten Dominik
@ 2008-02-19 18:33   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2008-02-19 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Scott Otterson <scotto@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
> >     - M-RET no longer brakes a line in the middle, it will make a
> >       new line after the current or (if cursor is at the beginning
> >       of the line) before the current line.
> >
> Is there a way to restore the old M-RET behavior?

+1 vote on that one. I haven't tried out 5.22 yet, but the
M-RET/M-<right> behavior that Scott describes, also fits my
way of working perfectly.

Thanks,
Nick

* Re: Re: Release 5.22 (Carsten Dominik
@ 2008-02-19 19:17     ` Raimund Kohl-Füchsle
From: Raimund Kohl-Füchsle @ 2008-02-19 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Re: Release 5.22 (Carsten Dominik
@ 2008-02-19 19:45       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-02-19 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

The fast fix for all you guys is:

Get the git repo by cloning it,
then in the repo do

$ git-checkout release_5.21
$ make

I'll fix this for the next release, but I am traveling for the next
few days....

- Carsten

@ 2008-02-20 11:04         ` Phil Jackson
From: Phil Jackson @ 2008-02-20 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

>>> +1 vote on that one. I haven't tried out 5.22 yet, but the
>>> M-RET/M-<right> behavior that Scott describes, also fits my
>>> way of working perfectly.
>>

>> Arghh ... me too ... so count me in on this vote for wanting to having
>> it back ... please ... :-)

> I'll fix this for the next release, but I am traveling for the next
> few days....

Any chance of making it configurable (default to the old behavior)? I
like the new behaviour better, am I the only one?

Cheers,
Phil
--
 Phil Jackson
 http://www.shellarchive.co.uk

* Re: Release 5.22 (Carsten Dominik
@ 2008-02-20 11:25           ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2008-02-20 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:04:38 +0000
Phil Jackson <phil@shellarchive.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Arghh ... me too ... so count me in on this vote for wanting to having
> >> it back ... please ... :-)
>
> > I'll fix this for the next release, but I am traveling for the next
> > few days....
>
> Any chance of making it configurable (default to the old behavior)? I
> like the new behaviour better, am I the only one?

You're not alone!

detlef

@ 2008-02-20 11:29             ` Phil Jackson
From: Phil Jackson @ 2008-02-20 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Detlef Steuer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Detlef,

Detlef Steuer <steuer@unibwh.de> writes:

>> Any chance of making it configurable (default to the old behavior)? I
>> like the new behaviour better, am I the only one?
>
> You're not alone!

Phew, my abandonment issues remain buried for a while longer :)

Cheers,
Phil
--
 Phil Jackson
 http://www.shellarchive.co.uk

* Re: Re: Release 5.22 (Carsten Dominik
@ 2008-02-20 11:44             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-02-20 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Detlef Steuer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Detlef Steuer <steuer@unibwh.de> writes:

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:04:38 +0000
> Phil Jackson <phil@shellarchive.co.uk> wrote:

>> > I'll fix this for the next release, but I am traveling for the next
>> > few days....
>>
>> Any chance of making it configurable (default to the old behavior)? I
>> like the new behaviour better, am I the only one?
>
> You're not alone!

I do like the new behavior as well.

One tiny problem, though: I wish the behavior of M-RET for list items
and table cells would be in sync with the one for headlines.  Or maybe
the customizable variable would let the user to decide for each context.

My 0.0002 € :)

--
Bastien

* Re: Re: Release 5.22 (Carsten Dominik
@ 2008-02-20 12:20               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-02-20 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Detlef Steuer, emacs-orgmode

On Feb 20, 2008, at 12:44 PM, Bastien wrote:

> Detlef Steuer <steuer@unibwh.de> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:04:38 +0000
>> Phil Jackson <phil@shellarchive.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Any chance of making it configurable (default to the old
>>> behavior)? I
>>> like the new behaviour better, am I the only one?
>>
>> You're not alone!
>
> I do like the new behavior as well.
>
> One tiny problem, though: I wish the behavior of M-RET for list items
> and table cells would be in sync with the one for headlines.

Meaning what for table cells?

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Release 5.22 (Carsten Dominik
@ 2008-02-22 11:13   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-02-22 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

OK, the verdict is this:

in the next version, M-RET will split again, unless you configure
the new option `org-M-RET-may-split-lines'.
That variable will govern the behavior of M-RET when creating headlines,
when creating items, and also in tables.

- Carsten