* Org-mode version 5.17
@ 2007-12-20  6:28 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-12-20  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list

Hi,

I am releasing version 5.17 of org-mode, hopefully the last
release before the holidays.  Lots of stuff is still on my TODO list,
but this is how far I have gotten.

Enjoy, and happy holidays.

- Carsten

Changes in Version 5.17
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Details
=======

Whitespace
----------

    - When cutting, pasting, or moving subtrees and items, the
      empty lines *before* the subtree/item now belong to the
      part and will be moved with it.  There is one exception to
      this rule: If the first child is moved down (or,
      equivalently, the second is moved up), the amount of empty
      lines *above* the first child to be moved along with it is
      limited by the number of empty lines *below* it.  This
      sounds complicated, but it allows to have extra empty space
      before the first child and still have good behavior of the
      subtree motion commands.

    - Plain lists items work the same.

    I believe we have finally nailed this one.  Thanks to Daniel
    Pittman for bring this up again and to Eric Schulte for
    pointing out that it is the empty lines *before* an entry
    that really count.

    This change was non-trivial, please give it a good test and
    let me know about any problems.

Remember
--------

    - The new command `org-remember-goto-last-stored' will jump
      to the location of the remember note stored most recently.
      If you have `org-remember' on a key like `C-c r', then you
      can go to the location with a double prefix arg: `C-u C-u
      C-c r'.  This was a proposal by Rainer Stengele.

    - Template items that are being prompted for can now specify
      a default value and a completion table.  Furthermore,
      history variable.  For example:

       %^{Author|Roald Dahl|Thomas Mann|Larry Niven}

      will prompt for an author name.  Pressing RET without
      typing anything will select "Roald Dahl".  Completion will
      give you any of the three names.  And a history will be
      kept, so you can use the arrow keys to get to previous
      input.  The history is tied to the prompt.  By using the
      same prompt in different templates, you can build a history
      across templates.  The ideas for this came from proposals
      by Bastien and Adam.

    - When a remember template contains the string `%!', the note
      will be stored immediately after all template parts have
      been filled in, so you don't even have to press `C-c
      C-c'. The was a proposal by Adam Spiers.

Refile
------

    - `org-refile-targets' has a new parameter to specify a
      maximum level for target selection.  Thanks to Wanrong Lin
      for this proposal.

    - When the new option `org-refile-use-outline-path' is set,
      refile targets will be presented like a file path to the
      completion interface: "level 1/level 2/level 3".  This
      may be the fastest interface yet to get to a certain
      outline entry.  Do we need to use this interface in other
      places?  Thanks to Jose Ruiz for this proposal.

* Re: Org-mode version 5.17
@ 2007-12-20  8:36 ` Detlef Steuer
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2007-12-20  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:28:42 +0100
"Carsten Dominik" <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am releasing version 5.17 of org-mode, hopefully the last
> release before the holidays.  Lots of stuff is still on my TODO list,
> but this is how far I have gotten.

Hi,

get an error in make:

In toplevel form:
org-mouse.el:144:1:Error: Symbol's value as variable is void: add-to-diary-list
make: *** [org-mouse.elc] Fehler 1

Wasn't there in 5.16b .

Cu
detlef

* Re: Re: Org-mode version 5.17
@ 2007-12-20 12:13   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-12-20 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Detlef Steuer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I cannot reprduce this.

- Carsten

On Dec 20, 2007 9:36 AM, Detlef Steuer <steuer@unibwh.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:28:42 +0100
> "Carsten Dominik" <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am releasing version 5.17 of org-mode, hopefully the last
> > release before the holidays.  Lots of stuff is still on my TODO list,
> > but this is how far I have gotten.
>
> Hi,
>
> get an error in make:
>

> In toplevel form:
> org-mouse.el:144:1:Error: Symbol's value as variable is void: add-to-diary-list
> make: *** [org-mouse.elc] Fehler 1
>
> Wasn't there in 5.16b .
>
> Cu
> detlef

* Re: Re: Org-mode version 5.17
@ 2007-12-20 13:06     ` Elicket Lee
From: Elicket Lee @ 2007-12-20 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

The error reproduced on my computer.

(Windows XP) + (NTEmacs 22.1) + (make 3.81 from cygwin)

Elicket

On Dec 20, 2007 11:13 PM, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> I cannot reprduce this.
>
> - Carsten
>

> On Dec 20, 2007 9:36 AM, Detlef Steuer <steuer@unibwh.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:28:42 +0100
> > "Carsten Dominik" <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am releasing version 5.17 of org-mode, hopefully the last
> > > release before the holidays.  Lots of stuff is still on my TODO list,
> > > but this is how far I have gotten.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > get an error in make:
> >

> > In toplevel form:
> > org-mouse.el:144:1:Error: Symbol's value as variable is void: add-to-diary-list
> > make: *** [org-mouse.elc] Fehler 1
> >
> > Wasn't there in 5.16b .
> >
> > Cu
> > detlef

* Re: Re: Org-mode version 5.17
@ 2007-12-20 13:56     ` Kirill A. Korinskiy
From: Kirill A. Korinskiy @ 2007-12-20 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Detlef Steuer, emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik -> Detlef Steuer  @ Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:13:00 +0100:

 CD> I cannot reprduce this.

I can get this error to on two my computers.

Debian lenny+sid, i386, GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.13) of 2007-08-22 on raven, modified by Debian

--
| |*| |  Kirill A. Korinskiy <catap@catap.ru>
| | |*|  proud (maniac)? (developer|hacker)
|*|*|*|  http://catap.ru/ - +7 (916) 3-604-704 - xmpp:catap@catap.ru

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Re: Org-mode version 5.17
@ 2007-12-20 14:13   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-12-20 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Detlef Steuer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 20, 2007 9:36 AM, Detlef Steuer <steuer@unibwh.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:28:42 +0100
> "Carsten Dominik" <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am releasing version 5.17 of org-mode, hopefully the last
> > release before the holidays.  Lots of stuff is still on my TODO list,
> > but this is how far I have gotten.
>
> Hi,
>
> get an error in make:
>

> In toplevel form:
> org-mouse.el:144:1:Error: Symbol's value as variable is void: add-to-diary-list
> make: *** [org-mouse.elc] Fehler 1
>
> Wasn't there in 5.16b .

Fixed in 5.17a, thanks for the report.

The error was caused by a workaround for a new macro in Emacs 23,
declare-function.
In Emacs 22 it does not exist, and my work-around was not correct.

- Carsten

* Re: Org-mode version 5.17
@ 2007-12-20 14:22     ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2007-12-20 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Detlef Steuer, emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik schrieb:
> On Dec 20, 2007 9:36 AM, Detlef Steuer <steuer@unibwh.de> wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:28:42 +0100
>> "Carsten Dominik" <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am releasing version 5.17 of org-mode, hopefully the last
>>> release before the holidays.  Lots of stuff is still on my TODO list,
>>> but this is how far I have gotten.
>> Hi,
>>
>> get an error in make:
>>

>> In toplevel form:
>> org-mouse.el:144:1:Error: Symbol's value as variable is void: add-to-diary-list
>> make: *** [org-mouse.elc] Fehler 1
>>
>> Wasn't there in 5.16b .
>
> Fixed in 5.17a, thanks for the report.
>
> The error was caused by a workaround for a new macro in Emacs 23,
> declare-function.
> In Emacs 22 it does not exist, and my work-around was not correct.
>
> - Carsten

still coming up under

GNU Emacs 22.0.990.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-05-22 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

rainer

* Re: Re: Org-mode version 5.17
@ 2007-12-20 14:30       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-12-20 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: Detlef Steuer, emacs-orgmode

On Dec 20, 2007 3:22 PM, Rainer Stengele >
> still coming up under
>
> GNU Emacs 22.0.990.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-05-22 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
>
> rainer

Make sure that you recompile org.el first, i.e. remove org.elc and
then type make.

- Carsten

* Re: Org-mode version 5.17
@ 2007-12-20 15:15         ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2007-12-20 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik schrieb:
> On Dec 20, 2007 3:22 PM, Rainer Stengele >
>> still coming up under
>>
>> GNU Emacs 22.0.990.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-05-22 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
>>
>> rainer
>
> Make sure that you recompile org.el first, i.e. remove org.elc and
> then type make.
>
> - Carsten

OK, you are right - I was too fast ...
It works!

Thank you again for this wonderful tool!

rainer

* Re: Org-mode version 5.17
@ 2007-12-20 21:24 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-12-20 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

"Carsten Dominik" <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> I am releasing version 5.17 of org-mode, hopefully the last release
> before the holidays.  Lots of stuff is still on my TODO list, but this
> is how far I have gotten.

That's great!  Thanks a lot.

>     - When cutting, pasting, or moving subtrees and items, the
>       empty lines *before* the subtree/item now belong to the
>       part and will be moved with it.  There is one exception to
>       this rule: If the first child is moved down (or,
>       equivalently, the second is moved up), the amount of empty
>       lines *above* the first child to be moved along with it is
>       limited by the number of empty lines *below* it.  This
>       sounds complicated, but it allows to have extra empty space
>       before the first child and still have good behavior of the
>       subtree motion commands.

Here is the only slight oddity I've found so far:  when moving folded
trees, sometimes the moved tree will be swallowed in the previous or
next fold...

Here is an example:

#+TITLE: Test file
#+STARTUP: fold

* headline 1

** subheadline 1

Content.

** subheadline 2

Content.

** subheadline 3

Content.

1. make sure this file is folded

2. go to headline 1

3. TAB to unfold

4. go to subheadline 2

5. M-<down>
   => subheadline 1 goes below subheadline 2 [OK]

6. M-<down>
   => subheadline 1 disappears (is in subheadline 3 fold)

IIRC, moving subtrees never ended up in them disappearing before.
Is there a simple way to make sure that the moving subtree always
remains visible?

Thanks!  And happy holidays --

--
Bastien

* Re: Org-mode version 5.17
@ 2007-12-20 22:36 ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2007-12-20 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

"Carsten Dominik" <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

>     - When the new option `org-refile-use-outline-path' is set,
>       refile targets will be presented like a file path to the
>       completion interface: "level 1/level 2/level 3".  This
>       may be the fastest interface yet to get to a certain
>       outline entry.  Do we need to use this interface in other
>       places?  Thanks to Jose Ruiz for this proposal.

Thanks again. I've been playing with this new feature and it's really
as useful as i imagined. One related idea just occurred to me: i think
it'd be nice to be able to specify a non-existent leaf at the prompt,
in which case a node with the requested path would be created and the
refile would take place (as a child of the new node). Would that be
difficult to implement?

Cheers,
Jose
--
Peter Principle: In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level
of incompetence. -Laurence J Peter, educator and author (1919-1990)

* Re: Org-mode version 5.17
@ 2007-12-22 16:49   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-12-22 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Here is the only slight oddity I've found so far:  when moving folded
> trees, sometimes the moved tree will be swallowed in the previous or
> next fold...

More on this: I think this is due to the fact that any empty line at the
end of a subtree is considered to be part of the *next* subtree...

Maybe it is reasonable to consider that any subtree ends with a minimum
of 1 empty line?  I guess this would solve the problem of wrongly folded
subtrees...

--
Bastien

* Re: Org-mode version 5.17
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-12-30 11:22 ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2007-12-30 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 07:28:42AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Changes in Version 5.17
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[snipped]

>     - When a remember template contains the string `%!', the note
>       will be stored immediately after all template parts have
>       been filled in, so you don't even have to press `C-c
>       C-c'. The was a proposal by Adam Spiers.

Thanks, works great!  Looks like you forgot to add the help text to
the defcustom again though ;-)

>     - The new command `org-remember-goto-last-stored' will jump
>       to the location of the remember note stored most recently.
>       If you have `org-remember' on a key like `C-c r', then you
>       can go to the location with a double prefix arg: `C-u C-u
>       C-c r'.  This was a proposal by Rainer Stengele.

This is also great - it would be *even* better if we also had the
per-template option of automatically jumping there.  This could be
implemented in exactly the same way as you did the "don't prompt me"
%! option above.  The justification is that each remember template
defines a mini-workflow, and some will then require immediate editing
of the new item in its final context.  Additionally it would provide a
workaround to the problems described here:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/4692

since if the new item is immediately moved to its final context,
keywords/tags/priorities etc. can be set there rather than from within
the *Remember* buffer.

>     - Template items that are being prompted for can now specify
>       a default value and a completion table.  Furthermore,
>       history variable.  For example:
>
>        %^{Author|Roald Dahl|Thomas Mann|Larry Niven}
>
>       will prompt for an author name.  Pressing RET without
>       typing anything will select "Roald Dahl".  Completion will
>       give you any of the three names.  And a history will be
>       kept, so you can use the arrow keys to get to previous
>       input.  The history is tied to the prompt.  By using the
>       same prompt in different templates, you can build a history
>       across templates.  The ideas for this came from proposals
>       by Bastien and Adam.

This is really cool, however there is one problem: SPC is now bound to
minibuffer-complete-word in this context.

* Re: Org-mode version 5.17
@ 2008-01-03  9:01   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-03  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Spiers; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 30, 2007, at 12:22 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 07:28:42AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> Changes in Version 5.17
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> [snipped]
>
>>    - When a remember template contains the string `%!', the note
>>      will be stored immediately after all template parts have
>>      been filled in, so you don't even have to press `C-c
>>      C-c'. The was a proposal by Adam Spiers.
>
> Thanks, works great!  Looks like you forgot to add the help text to
> the defcustom again though ;-)

Fixed, thanks.

>>    - The new command `org-remember-goto-last-stored' will jump
>>      to the location of the remember note stored most recently.
>>      If you have `org-remember' on a key like `C-c r', then you
>>      can go to the location with a double prefix arg: `C-u C-u
>>      C-c r'.  This was a proposal by Rainer Stengele.
>
> This is also great - it would be *even* better if we also had the
> per-template option of automatically jumping there.

We do, this is from the 5.14 release notes:

    You can now use a C-u prefix on `org-remember' to jump to the
location where
    a specific templates stores its notes. For example, if you have
`org-remember'
    bound to `C-c r', then `C-u C-c r n' will get you to the file and
headline given in
   the template associated with the letter "n".

- Carsten

* Re: Org-mode version 5.17
@ 2008-01-03 12:48     ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2008-01-03 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 10:01:37AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2007, at 12:22 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:
> >On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 07:28:42AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> >>   - The new command `org-remember-goto-last-stored' will jump
> >>     to the location of the remember note stored most recently.
> >>     If you have `org-remember' on a key like `C-c r', then you
> >>     can go to the location with a double prefix arg: `C-u C-u
> >>     C-c r'.  This was a proposal by Rainer Stengele.
> >
> >This is also great - it would be *even* better if we also had the
> >per-template option of automatically jumping there.
>
> We do, this is from the 5.14 release notes:
>
>    You can now use a C-u prefix on `org-remember' to jump to the
>    location where a specific templates stores its notes. For
>    example, if you have `org-remember' bound to `C-c r', then `C-u
>    C-c r n' will get you to the file and headline given in the
>    template associated with the letter "n".

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  I'm aware of that functionality,
but for some templates, I really want it to *automatically* jump to
where the note has been stored *immediately* after storing has
happened, rather than requiring extra keystrokes.  This is because for
some templates, I will *always* want to review the new note in its
final context.  That's why I suggested implementing it by reusing the
really nice idea you had of defining %! within a template to mean
"don't prompt me" - similarly you could have %& or some other sequence
to mean "jump straight to the destination".  And in some cases, a
combination of both ("%!%&") will be very effective.

Additionally it would provide a workaround to the problems described
here:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/4692

since if the new item is immediately moved to its final context,
keywords/tags/priorities etc. can be set there rather than from within
the *Remember* buffer.

Thanks!

* Re: Re: Org-mode version 5.17
@ 2008-01-15 14:40   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-15 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 20, 2007, at 11:36 PM, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> "Carsten Dominik" <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>>    - When the new option `org-refile-use-outline-path' is set,
>>      refile targets will be presented like a file path to the
>>      completion interface: "level 1/level 2/level 3".  This
>>      may be the fastest interface yet to get to a certain
>>      outline entry.  Do we need to use this interface in other
>>      places?  Thanks to Jose Ruiz for this proposal.
>
> Thanks again. I've been playing with this new feature and it's really
> as useful as i imagined. One related idea just occurred to me: i think
> it'd be nice to be able to specify a non-existent leaf at the prompt,
> in which case a node with the requested path would be created and the
> refile would take place (as a child of the new node). Would that be
> difficult to implement?

It would not be difficult but error-prone.  And it would not be clear
*where* the new node should be created.

I am not taking any action for now on this.

- Carsten

* automatically jumping to stored note location
@ 2008-05-30 12:21       ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2008-05-30 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 12:48:01PM +0000, Adam Spiers wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 10:01:37AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> > >
> > >This is also great - it would be *even* better if we also had the
> > >per-template option of automatically jumping there.
> >
> > We do, this is from the 5.14 release notes:
> >
> >    You can now use a C-u prefix on `org-remember' to jump to the
> >    location where a specific templates stores its notes. For
> >    example, if you have `org-remember' bound to `C-c r', then `C-u
> >    C-c r n' will get you to the file and headline given in the
> >    template associated with the letter "n".
>
> Sorry, I should have been clearer.  I'm aware of that functionality,
> but for some templates, I really want it to *automatically* jump to
> where the note has been stored *immediately* after storing has
> happened, rather than requiring extra keystrokes.  This is because for
> some templates, I will *always* want to review the new note in its
> final context.  That's why I suggested implementing it by reusing the
> really nice idea you had of defining %! within a template to mean
> "don't prompt me" - similarly you could have %& or some other sequence
> to mean "jump straight to the destination".  And in some cases, a
> combination of both ("%!%&") will be very effective.
>
> Additionally it would provide a workaround to the problems described
> here:
>
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/4692
>
> since if the new item is immediately moved to its final context,
> keywords/tags/priorities etc. can be set there rather than from within
> the *Remember* buffer.

Any more thoughts on this one?  I would have thought it would be very
easy to implement, and it would be a huge help in streamlining my
workflow (and hopefully other people's too).

Additionally, is it possible to set up a template so that it will
always insert at the very top of a particular file?

Thanks!

* RE: automatically jumping to stored note location
@ 2008-06-11  5:16         ` Dominik, C.
From: Dominik, C. @ 2008-06-11  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Spiers, emacs-orgmode

Hi Adam,

I have now implemented this feature, exactly as ordered :-),
with %&.

HTH

- Carsten

@ 2008-06-11 10:53           ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2008-06-11 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 07:16:21AM +0200, Dominik, C. wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> I have now implemented this feature, exactly as ordered :-),
> with %&.

Woohoo!  Awesome, thanks - I have wanted that one for a long time :-)
Seems to work great.  I have three comments/questions related to this
and similar org-remember details:

  1) Ideally %& would preserve the position of the point within the
     template when it arrives in the final destination.  This is
     particularly important if a template has all three of %? %! and
     %&, otherwise %? is effectively ignored when %! and %& are
     present.

  2) It doesn't seem possible to set up a template so that it will
     always insert at the very top of a particular file.  I really
     miss that, since I keep most TODOs at the top level, and I like
     a "newest first" view by default when not in the agenda.

  3) I am a bit confused by the 'Selection interface for heading' 5th
     option of a remember template.  It doesn't seem to have any
     effect - how is it supposed to interact with
     `org-remember-store-without-prompt'?

Thanks again!

* Re: automatically jumping to stored note location
@ 2008-06-11 17:11             ` Cezar Halmagean
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-06-11 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Adam Spiers <orgmode@adamspiers.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 07:16:21AM +0200, Dominik, C. wrote:
>>
>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> I have now implemented this feature, exactly as ordered :-),
>> with %&.

Ask anybody using org-mode whats the fuss about org-mode and they'll all
say one thing: Carten Dominik.

Thank you Carsten and keep up the good work.

Cezar

* Re: Re: automatically jumping to stored note location
@ 2008-06-11 18:10               ` Manuel Hermenegildo
From: Manuel Hermenegildo @ 2008-06-11 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar Halmagean; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

 > Ask anybody using org-mode whats the fuss about org-mode and they'll all
 > say one thing: Carten Dominik.
 >
 > Thank you Carsten and keep up the good work.

Totally agreed! --Manuel

 Manuel Hermenegildo                     |              Prof., C.S. Department
 Director, IMDEA-Software and CLIP Group |                T.U. of Madrid (UPM)
 http://www.cliplab.org/herme            | +34-91-336-7435 (W) -352-4819 (Fax)

* Re: automatically jumping to stored note location
@ 2008-06-13  8:23             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-06-13  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Spiers; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Adam,

On Jun 11, 2008, at 12:53 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 07:16:21AM +0200, Dominik, C. wrote:
>>
>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> I have now implemented this feature, exactly as ordered :-),
>> with %&.
>
> Woohoo!  Awesome, thanks - I have wanted that one for a long time :-)
> Seems to work great.  I have three comments/questions related to this
> and similar org-remember details:
>
>  1) Ideally %& would preserve the position of the point within the
>     template when it arrives in the final destination.  This is
>     particularly important if a template has all three of %? %! and
>     %&, otherwise %? is effectively ignored when %! and %& are
>     present.

That does now work, I believe.

>  2) It doesn't seem possible to set up a template so that it will
>     always insert at the very top of a particular file.  I really
>     miss that, since I keep most TODOs at the top level, and I like
>     a "newest first" view by default when not in the agenda.

Well, the newest first is no problem, just use the first headline in
the file as remember target and configure the variable org-reverse-
note-order
to make sure that the specified file it treated in this way.

Having said that, you can now use `top' or `bottom' as values for the
remember target heading, and the note will then be filed as a level 1
entry
to the top or bottom of the file, respectively.

>  3) I am a bit confused by the 'Selection interface for heading' 5th
>     option of a remember template.  It doesn't seem to have any
>     effect - how is it supposed to interact with
>     `org-remember-store-without-prompt'?

Yes, this is confusing, I agree.  When
`org-remember-store-without-prompt' is set (which is the default),
all the positioning interface stuff is completely by-passed.
Setting nil for file or headline really means: use the default,
taken from
`org-default-notes-file' and `org-remember-default-heading',
respectively.

HTH

- Carsten

* Re: automatically jumping to stored note location
@ 2008-06-13  9:38               ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2008-06-13  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:23:38AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2008, at 12:53 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:
> >On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 07:16:21AM +0200, Dominik, C. wrote:
> >>Hi Adam,
> >>
> >>I have now implemented this feature, exactly as ordered :-),
> >>with %&.
> >
> >Woohoo!  Awesome, thanks - I have wanted that one for a long time :-)
> >Seems to work great.  I have three comments/questions related to this
> >and similar org-remember details:
> >
> > 1) Ideally %& would preserve the position of the point within the
> >    template when it arrives in the final destination.  This is
> >    particularly important if a template has all three of %? %! and
> >    %&, otherwise %? is effectively ignored when %! and %& are
> >    present.
>
> That does now work, I believe.

It seems to ensure that the point is wherever %& was, rather than
wherever %? was.  Is that intentional?

> > 2) It doesn't seem possible to set up a template so that it will
> >    always insert at the very top of a particular file.  I really
> >    miss that, since I keep most TODOs at the top level, and I like
> >    a "newest first" view by default when not in the agenda.
>
> Well, the newest first is no problem, just use the first headline in
> the file as remember target and configure the variable org-reverse-
> note-order to make sure that the specified file it treated in this
> way.
>
> Having said that, you can now use `top' or `bottom' as values for
> the remember target heading, and the note will then be filed as a
> level 1 entry to the top or bottom of the file, respectively.

That's *exactly* what I was after, and I love the way you've
implemented it; thanks!

> > 3) I am a bit confused by the 'Selection interface for heading' 5th
> >    option of a remember template.  It doesn't seem to have any
> >    effect - how is it supposed to interact with
> >    `org-remember-store-without-prompt'?
>
> Yes, this is confusing, I agree.  When
> `org-remember-store-without-prompt' is set (which is the default),
> all the positioning interface stuff is completely by-passed.
> Setting nil for file or headline really means: use the default,
> taken from `org-default-notes-file' and
> `org-remember-default-heading', respectively.

Thanks for the clarification - and the changes to the Customize UI
seem spot on too.