From: Carsten Dominik <drostekirsten@gmail.com>
To: Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>
Cc: Org Mode List <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Change some defcustoms into defcont
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 15:25:21 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Nicolas, and everyone else.

I have just investigated what actually happens is someone has a
customize setting for a variable in his/her setup, and then the variable
is changed to a defconst  behind his/her back.  The result was very
surprising to me:  customize-set-variables still does set the variable
to the stored value.  Changing a different customize variable
and selecting "apply and change" updates the init file where
customize-set-variables is stored, and interestingly still preserves
the customize setting for the variable that now has become
a defconst.

This surprised me, and it seems to indicate that existing configurations
would not break.

Furthermore, I have looked at the old customization survey
at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-customization-survey.html

It turns out that none of the variables Nicolas listed seems to have been
customized by the people participating in this survey.

Tanking these together, I am now inclined to change my view and
to let Nicolas make his proposed change.
What I would like to request is that we try to make Org still work if these
variables do in fact have a different value - but that is what Nicolas
already said.

So:  IF YOU HAVE CUSTOMIZED any of this variables, I'd like to hear about it.
Otherwise, I now think that the proposal is actually good and should move ahead.

- Carsten