* [Orgmode] org-store-link in dired buffer?
@ 2006-09-05  2:19 Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2006-09-05  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi folks, I don't know if you guys like dired.  But I think it could
be better if org-store-link could work even in dired buffer. I'd like
to see these behaviors of org-store-link in dired buffer.

1. If any file is marked, org-store-link stores the link to these
   marked files.

2. If none is marked, org-store-link stores the directory.

Is someone interested to work this out?

Also, is it possible to open a file or directory link in dired, but
not really open it?

Thanks for the time.

Xiao-Yong
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* [Orgmode] org-store-link in dired buffer?
@ 2006-09-05  3:18 ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-09-05  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xj2106; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sounds  weird, can you explain how you envision using this?

    Xiao-Yong> Hi folks, I don't know if you guys like dired.
    Xiao-Yong> But I think it could be better if org-store-link
    Xiao-Yong> could work even in dired buffer. I'd like to see
    Xiao-Yong> these behaviors of org-store-link in dired buffer.
    Xiao-Yong>
    Xiao-Yong> 1. If any file is marked, org-store-link stores
    Xiao-Yong> the link to these marked files.
    Xiao-Yong>
    Xiao-Yong> 2. If none is marked, org-store-link stores the
    Xiao-Yong> directory.
    Xiao-Yong>
    Xiao-Yong> Is someone interested to work this out?
    Xiao-Yong>
    Xiao-Yong> Also, is it possible to open a file or directory
    Xiao-Yong> link in dired, but not really open it?
    Xiao-Yong>
    Xiao-Yong> Thanks for the time.
    Xiao-Yong>
    Xiao-Yong> Xiao-Yong -- ,,, (o o) ---ooO-(_)-Ooo---
    Xiao-Yong>
    Xiao-Yong>
    Xiao-Yong> _______________________________________________

Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: [Orgmode] org-store-link in dired buffer?
@ 2006-09-05  8:01 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-09-05  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiao-Yong Jin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 5, 2006, at 4:19, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:

> Hi folks, I don't know if you guys like dired.  But I think it could
> be better if org-store-link could work even in dired buffer. I'd like
> to see these behaviors of org-store-link in dired buffer.
>
> 1. If any file is marked, org-store-link stores the link to these
>    marked files.
>
> 2. If none is marked, org-store-link stores the directory.

Yes, I think this would make sense, even though I'd prefer the link to
be created to the file in the current line if there is no selection,
and to the directory if the cursor is on the "." line.

By the way, from your messages I gather that you are putting links to
lots and lots of files into the Org-mode file.  If I need access many
files in a project, I find it typically more efficient to just link to
the directory and then use dired itself to navigate to the file I need.
  That also makes things easier when moving a project to a different
directory....

> Also, is it possible to open a file or directory link in dired, but
> not really open it?

Ah, I see, this is the problem.

You need to tell Org-mode that you want to open directories in Emacs.

Customize org-file-apps, add a new entry where the car is `directory'
and the cdr is `emacs', for example like this:

(setq org-file-apps
       '((directory . emacs)
         ("txt" . emacs)
         ("tex" . emacs)