* org-mode: couple of html related feature requests
@ 2006-07-23 18:19 T. V. Raman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-07-23 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Here are a couple of html export related feature requests.

0)   Would it be possible to generate the title element from the
     first top-level heading -- rather than the base filename?

1)   How do I avoid the -*- mode: ... -*-
line from showing up in the exported HTML?

2)   Finally, how do I supress generation f the Table of contents?
 Thanks,
 --Raman

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* org-mode: couple of html related feature requests
@ 2006-07-24  0:12 ` T. V. Raman
       [not found] ` <9de7dbeeb2abc302f824130f3911a8b8@science.uva.nl>
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-07-24  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

And one related request:

Once we get the vaue of <title> from  the first top-level
heading,
we could also promote everything up by a level on the  html side
so that '*' headings  become h1, '**' become h2 etc.

I find the present practice of '*' headings becoming h2s a bit
painful because things on the HTML side get too deep in their
hierarchy.

    tvr> Hi, Here are a couple of html export related feature
    tvr> requests.
    tvr>
    tvr> 0) Would it be possible to generate the title element
    tvr> from the first top-level heading -- rather than the base
    tvr> filename?
    tvr>
    tvr> 1) How do I avoid the -*- mode: ... -*- line from
    tvr> showing up in the exported HTML?
    tvr>
    tvr> 2) Finally, how do I supress generation f the Table of
    tvr> contents?  Thanks, --Raman
    tvr>
    tvr> -- Best Regards, --raman
    tvr>
    tvr>
    tvr> Email: raman@users.sf.net WWW:
    tvr> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/ AIM: emacspeak GTalk:
    tvr> tv.raman.tv@gmail.com PGP:
    tvr> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/raman-almaden.asc Google:
    tvr> tv+raman IRC: irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs
    tvr>
    tvr>
    tvr> _______________________________________________

Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: org-mode: couple of html related feature requests
@ 2006-07-24  2:09 ` David Emery
       [not found] ` <9de7dbeeb2abc302f824130f3911a8b8@science.uva.nl>
From: David Emery @ 2006-07-24  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

On Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:19:37 -0700, "T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> 2)   Finally, how do I supress generation of the Table of contents?

This one, I can answer. One way is to set it in the file itself using the
Options comment:

It can also be set globally using org-export-with-toc

Regards,
Dave

       [not found]   ` <17617.19534.69425.633066@localhost.localdomain>
@ 2006-08-07 15:45     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-08-07 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I still fail to see why this would be better than using the #+TITLE
line that has exactly this purpose.  If you want to specify the title
line, you can use that line.  If you don't want to specify it, all we
are discussing about is the question of what would be a good default
for the title.  I am currently taking that default from the file name,
you want it from the first headline - both can be equally good and bad
titles.

- Carsten

On Aug 3, 2006, at 3:07, T. V. Raman wrote:

> [...]
>     Carsten> than one.  However, you can always set the document
>     Carsten> title like this:
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten> #+TITLE: This is a title for the HTML export
>     Carsten>
>>> 1) How do I avoid the -*- mode: ... -*- line from showing
>>> up in the exported HTML?
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten> How do you get it in?  I have never seen it.
>     Carsten> Anybody?
>     Carsten>
>>> 2) Finally, how do I supress generation f the Table of
>>> contents?
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten> This was already answered by David Emery.
>     Carsten>
>>> And one related request:
>>>
>>> Once we get the vaue of <title> from the first top-level
>>> heading, we could also promote everything up by a level on
>>> the html side so that '*' headings become h1, '**' become
>>> h2 etc.
>>>
>>> I find the present practice of '*' headings becoming h2s a
>>> bit painful because things on the HTML side get too deep
>>> in their hierarchy.
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten> I don't think it is useful to treat the first
>     Carsten> toplevel heading differently from the others.  And I
>     Carsten> personally like the title in H1 and the top level
>     Carsten> headings in H2.  However, I can see that this is a
>     Carsten> matter of taste, so I will provide a variable
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten> org-export-html-toplevel-hlevel
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten> that can be used to set which of H1, H2, H3
>     Carsten> .... should be used for level 1 org-mode headings.
>     Carsten> Default for now continues to be 2.
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten> Related to this, I have an HTML/CSS question:
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten> If I do
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten>    <H1 class="title">Document title</H1>
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten>    <H1>My first outline heading</H1>
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten> what do i have to put into the css style to make the
>     Carsten> first line appear differently from the second? I
>     Carsten> have tried:
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten> h1 { font-size: 18pt; padding-top: 1em; }
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten> .title { font-size: 20pt; color: #ff8c00; }
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten> but that does not work.
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten> Thanks.
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten> - Carsten
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten>
>     Carsten> -- Carsten Dominik Sterrenkundig Instituut "Anton
>     Carsten> Pannekoek" Universiteit van Amsterdam Kruislaan 403
>     Carsten> NL-1098SJ Amsterdam phone: +31 20 525 7477

NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: org-mode: couple of html related feature requests
@ 2006-08-08  1:09       ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-08-08  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I dont care as much about th #+title bit as much as all headings
appearing one level demoted in html

I'd like '* heading' to become h1, not h2 as it does at present.

    Carsten> I still fail to see why this would be better than
    Carsten> using the #+TITLE line that has exactly this
    Carsten> purpose.  If you want to specify the title line, you
    Carsten> can use that line.  If you don't want to specify it,
    Carsten> all we are discussing about is the question of what
    Carsten> would be a good default for the title.  I am
    Carsten> currently taking that default from the file name,
    Carsten> you want it from the first headline - both can be
    Carsten> equally good and bad titles.
    Carsten>
    Carsten> - Carsten
    Carsten>
    Carsten> On Aug 3, 2006, at 3:07, T. V. Raman wrote:
    Carsten>
    >> But we could still use the first top-levle heading?  The
    >> rest of the mapping still holds, since html lets you have
    >> multiple h1 headings on a page. As things stand,
    >> everything gets demoted a level when you go through org

    Carsten> Hi Raman, On Jul 23, 2006, at 20:19, T. V. Raman

    Carsten> No, I don't want to do this.  If we do this we
    Carsten> implicitly assume that there is only one top-level
    Carsten> heading in the file, in general there will be more
    Carsten> than one.  However, you can always set the document
    Carsten> title like this:
    Carsten>
    Carsten> #+TITLE: This is a title for the HTML export

    Carsten> How do you get it in?  I have never seen it.
    Carsten> Anybody?

    Carsten> This was already answered by David Emery.

    Carsten> I don't think it is useful to treat the first
    Carsten> toplevel heading differently from the others.  And I
    Carsten> personally like the title in H1 and the top level
    Carsten> headings in H2.  However, I can see that this is a
    Carsten> matter of taste, so I will provide a variable
    Carsten>
    Carsten> org-export-html-toplevel-hlevel
    Carsten>
    Carsten> that can be used to set which of H1, H2, H3
    Carsten> .... should be used for level 1 org-mode headings.
    Carsten> Default for now continues to be 2.
    Carsten>
    Carsten> Related to this, I have an HTML/CSS question:
    Carsten>
    Carsten> If I do
    Carsten>
    Carsten> <H1 class="title">Document title</H1>
    Carsten>
    Carsten> <H1>My first outline heading</H1>
    Carsten>
    Carsten> what do i have to put into the css style to make the
    Carsten> first line appear differently from the second? I
    Carsten> have tried:
    Carsten>
    Carsten> h1 { font-size: 18pt; padding-top: 1em; }
    Carsten>
    Carsten> .title { font-size: 20pt; color: #ff8c00; }
    Carsten>
    Carsten> but that does not work.
    Carsten>
    Carsten> Thanks.
    Carsten>
    Carsten> - Carsten
    Carsten>

    Carsten> -- Carsten Dominik Sterrenkundig Instituut "Anton
    Carsten> Pannekoek" Universiteit van Amsterdam Kruislaan 403
    Carsten> NL-1098SJ Amsterdam phone: +31 20 525 7477
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best Regards, --raman
    >>

    >> Email: raman@users.sf.net WWW:
    >> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/ AIM: emacspeak GTalk:
    >> tv.raman.tv@gmail.com PGP:
    >> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/raman-almaden.asc Google:
    >> tv+raman IRC: irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

--
Carsten Dominik Sterrenkundig Instituut "Anton Pannekoek"