On 16-12-2020 19:41, Tim Cross wrote: > > > Github is not an option here. The problem is, github encourages the use > of proprietary, non-free software, which conflicts with the GNU's > primary goal of software freedom. As Org mode is a GNU project, it > cannot use Github in any fashion which would encourage the use of github > interfaces that require/encourage the use of non-free software, which > unfortunately, key parts of their web UI does. I'm not an expert in web technologies and their licenses, but given that Debian, KDE and Gnome use Gitlab [1,2] this Github alternative may be an option to consider too. The open core of Gitlab is licensed under the MIT license [1] (which may or may not be acceptable for this community...). I personally use Gitlab both via the web interface and in Emacs via Magit's forge [4]. So far, this works well for my daily workflow. I guess the 'young ones' using Github would be equally happy with Gitlab. My two cents, Lennart. [1] https://about.gitlab.com/solutions/open-source/ [2] https://salsa.debian.org/public [4] https://github.com/magit/forge > > With respect to providing a different forum which might e more familiar > or more comfortable to younger users who are not as comfortable with a > mailing list, I don't know what the answer is. By definition, being an > old user who is out of step with the trends of the young, I an other old > timers probably don't have the necessary familiarity with modern trends > to do anything here. If young users need/want a different forum, they > need to take on the responsibility for that initiative. The only > restriction is that the forum must fit with the philosophy and guidelines > of the FSF with respect to free (libre) software and not just 'open > source'. > > Personally, I think on-line communities went backwards after the decline > of USERNET newsgroups. > -- > Tim Cross > -- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* L.C. Karssen 's-Hertogenbosch The Netherlands lennart@karssen.org http://blog.karssen.org GPG key ID: A88F554A -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-