On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 09:33 +1100, Ben Finney wrote: > Matt Price writes: > > > Visual-line-mode is a replacement for longlines-mode; it soft-wraps > > text at the screen boundary, and does a much better job than > > longlines-mode did. > > I think you're confused by a (helpful) conflation. > > The ‘visual-lines-mode’ is indeed a replacement for ‘longlines-mode’, > but its job is to cause editing commands to act on visual, rather than > logical lines. > > The wrapping behaviour you're describing is performed by ‘word-wrap’, a > buffer-local variable that cuases lines to be visually broken at word > boundaries. > > The ‘word-wrap’ variable is set by ‘visual-lines-mode’, which is why > you're seeing it happen. But ‘word-wrap’ is independent of this. > that's very helpful. but see below... > > Is that what you needed? I'm not sure where the code for > > visual-line-mode lives -- there isn't a visual-line.el anywhere that i > > can find on my system. > > Fortunately, ‘visual-line-mode’ appears to be a distraction from what > you're describing; Carsten only needs to learn about ‘word-wrap’. > would you expect then that i should see the same difficulty if I evaluate '(word-wrap 1) in a buffer using org-indent-mode? Because when I do that, the wrapping seems to occur as expected and, importantly, the indentation level is preserved too. So to my extremely unpracticed eye it seems that visual-lines-mode does something to the wrapping behaviour that makes problems for org-mode. Does anyone else use visual-=line-mode with org? I'm sort of surprised no one would -- it seems a completely obvious choice to me and it may be that I'm just missing something about optimum work flows or similar. Anyway, thanks again, Matt