On 18.9.2013, at 08:51, Suvayu Ali wrote: > Hi, > > I think I have tracked down the issue. > > On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 06:10:02PM -0400, Matt Price wrote: >> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote: >>> >>> I would like to know if other desktop environments has the same issue: >>> kde-open (KDE) and gvfs-open (Gnome, Mate, etc). So to test, just open >>> a directory with pdf/odt/html files in dired and run either of them >>> asynchronously with &. >> >> I'm running unity in Ubuntu 13.04, which still is sorta descended from >> gnome. Neither xdg-open nor gnome-open seems to work (if I'm doing >> this right in dired: navigate to a pdf/html file, type &, enter >> xdg-open). >> >> I have the feeling the problem is in emacs, org-open-file, or their >> interaction. It's definitely not in xdg-open/gnome-open themselves, >> as they work fine from the command-line with M-! . > > Unfortunately this is a problem with most of the desktop specific *-open > commands. Take a look at this post from emacs-devel (thanks to Glenn > for pointing me to it): > > > > Essentially, running xdg-open asynchronously will not work for Desktop > Environments that use gvfs-open (Gnome, Unity, Mate, etc). From the > looks of it, exo-open (XFCE) also suffers from the same problem. > > That said, it would be nice if Glyn could try it on KDE for the sake of > completeness. As per the emacs-devel post, kde-open should work. > > Conclusion: it would have been nice, but we can't use xdg-open. This > feels somewhat like the texi2dvi issue. :-/ Hi Suvayu, thank you for spending the time to check this out. This is too bad, a general open command like we use it on Mac and Windows would have been very nice. - Carsten > > Cheers, > > -- > Suvayu > > Open source is the future. It sets us free.