* Using orgtbl-mode with markdown: hfmt1
@ 2017-09-12 13:15 Carsten Bormann
From: Carsten Bormann @ 2017-09-12 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

As is, orgtbl-mode is a great addition to markdown-mode.

There is one snag:

The markdown table syntax isn’t fully standardized.
A number of implementations react unfavorable to the + characters that orgtbl-mode uses as a column/row separator in the line separating the header from the body of the table; they prefer the | character here as well.

So I apply this little patch in org-table-align each time I install a new version of org-mode:

org-table.el
874c158
<              (hfmt1 "-%s-+"))
---
>              (hfmt1 "-%s-|"))           ; HACK: + ➔ |

Works perfectly.  But it would be nice not to have to apply this patch each time I update.

Would it be possible to make hfmt1 configurable?
(Preferably, using a buffer-local variable so I don’t have to break tables in org-mode proper?)

Grüße, Carsten

* Re: Using orgtbl-mode with markdown: hfmt1
@ 2017-09-12 14:07 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-09-12 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Bormann, emacs-org list

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017, 9:56 AM Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> wrote:

Works perfectly.  But it would be nice not to have to apply this patch each
> time I update.

> Would it be possible to make hfmt1 configurable?
> (Preferably, using a buffer-local variable so I don’t have to break tables
> in org-mode proper?)

I use a different approach to do the same thing using ox-gfm (based on a SO
solution). Look for orgtbl-to-gfm function here[1] and also my  notes at
the end of that file.

[1]:
https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/blob/master/setup-files/setup-markdown.el

> --

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Using orgtbl-mode with markdown: hfmt1
@ 2017-09-12 14:11   ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-09-12 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Bormann, emacs-org list

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017, 10:07 AM Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use a different approach to do the same thing using ox-gfm

Correcting myself.. that solution has nothing to do with ox-gfm.

> --

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Using orgtbl-mode with markdown: hfmt1
@ 2017-09-12 14:16   ` Carsten Bormann
From: Carsten Bormann @ 2017-09-12 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Sep 12, 2017, at 16:07, Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017, 9:56 AM Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> wrote:
>

> Works perfectly.  But it would be nice not to have to apply this patch each time I update.
>
> Would it be possible to make hfmt1 configurable?
> (Preferably, using a buffer-local variable so I don’t have to break tables in org-mode proper?)
>
> I use a different approach to do the same thing using ox-gfm (based on a SO solution). Look for orgtbl-to-gfm function here[1] and also my  notes at the end of that file.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/blob/master/setup-files/setup-markdown.el
> --
> Kaushal Modi

I am aware of a number of these workarounds.
The specific one you are proposing does not work for me as the markdown tables are in collaboratively edited documents and I can’t get the other authors to do any special dance around the tables; orgtbl-mode has to just work.

Besides, a 83-line workaround for what can be done seamlessly by changing one line of code?

(Yes, it would be nice to also preserve the column alignments, but we already have a solution that gets around that limitation.)

@ 2017-09-14 13:51 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-14 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Bormann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> writes:

> As is, orgtbl-mode is a great addition to markdown-mode.
>
> There is one snag:
>
> The markdown table syntax isn’t fully standardized.
> A number of implementations react unfavorable to the + characters that
> orgtbl-mode uses as a column/row separator in the line separating the
> header from the body of the table; they prefer the | character here as
> well.
>
> So I apply this little patch in org-table-align each time I install a new version of org-mode:
>
> org-table.el
> 874c158
> <              (hfmt1 "-%s-+"))
> ---
>>              (hfmt1 "-%s-|"))           ; HACK: + ➔ |
>
> Works perfectly.  But it would be nice not to have to apply this patch each time I update.
>
> Would it be possible to make hfmt1 configurable?
> (Preferably, using a buffer-local variable so I don’t have to break
> tables in org-mode proper?)

The point of orgtbl-mode is to edit Org tables, not Markdown tables,
which have a different syntax.

The usual workflow is to edit the Org mode tables and "send" it to
another location within the same buffer, applying some pre-defined
transformation. See (info "(org) Radio tables") for more information.

Another option is to add an advice on `org-table-align'. See
`add-advice'.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Using orgtbl-mode with markdown: hfmt1
@ 2017-09-14 14:13   ` Carsten Bormann
From: Carsten Bormann @ 2017-09-14 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> The point of orgtbl-mode is to edit Org tables, not Markdown tables,
> which have a different syntax.

The point of a screwdriver is to drive screws.
I happened to notice that this particular screwdriver makes a good chisel, too.
Unfortunately, the way things are at the moment means that using this screwdriver as a chisel damages it (by making me change the native org-mode table syntax, too).

The analogy stops here: Different from an actual screwdriver, it is possible to add a switch to org-table-align that allows to use it for either purpose, without damage.

(To me, it seems that the existence of an orgtbl-mode minor mode points out that this kind of use outside org-mode is not an entirely foreign concept here.)

> The usual workflow is to edit the Org mode tables and "send" it to
> another location within the same buffer, applying some pre-defined
> transformation. See (info "(org) Radio tables") for more information.

These workflows would make more sense if I’m working alone on the document.
Well, then I could write them entirely in org-mode in the first place.
The point of writing them in markdown is to be able to collaborate with people who don’t use org-mode (or Emacs, or even a plaintext editor at all!).

> Another option is to add an advice on `org-table-align'. See
> `add-advice’.

That doesn’t work too well as the tiny change is in the middle of that function; advice-add could be used to manipulate its input or its output, but not that small difference in table syntax between org-mode and github markdown (the main culprit here — many other markdown implementations don’t have a problem with org-mode table syntax).

Grüße, Carsten