* Re: Re: Timer mode doesn't hyphenate correctly
@ 2011-03-31  5:39 Mark S
From: Mark S @ 2011-03-31  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello Matt,

--- On Wed, 3/30/11, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

>I cannot reproduce this.
>All of the following timer items were entered quickly using
> M-Tab:
>  - 0:01:04 :: An item
>   - 0:01:07 :: Another item
>   - 0:01:10 :: Yet another

It appears that you can get different results depending on how you start
the timer and whether there are prior entries there. Basically, you need
to start on a blank line with no prior timing entries. If you start your
timer, either with C-c C-x 0 or with C-c C-x - with prior timer entries,
you are likely to get the results I described before (double hyphens), or
error messages ("not a timer list").

So to people who know the right incantation, I suppose it looks ok. But if
you take even a slight detour you may get some strange results.

Maybe there should be a bit more warning in the manual. But now that I've
worked out the land-mines, I'm sure its going to be very useful.

Thanks!
Mark

* Re: Timer mode doesn't hyphenate correctly
@ 2011-03-31 12:00 ` Nicolas
From: Nicolas @ 2011-03-31 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: throaway; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

"Mark S" <throaway@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello Matt,
>
> --- On Wed, 3/30/11, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
>
>>I cannot reproduce this.
>>All of the following timer items were entered quickly using
>> M-Tab:
>>  - 0:01:04 :: An item
>>   - 0:01:07 :: Another item
>>   - 0:01:10 :: Yet another
>>

> It appears that you can get different results depending on how you
> start the timer and whether there are prior entries there. Basically,
> you need to start on a blank line with no prior timing entries. If you
> start your timer, either with C-c C-x 0 or with C-c C-x - with prior
> timer entries, you are likely to get the results I described before
> (double hyphens), or error messages ("not a timer list").
>
> So to people who know the right incantation, I suppose it looks ok.
> But if you take even a slight detour you may get some strange results.
>
> Maybe there should be a bit more warning in the manual. But now that
> I've worked out the land-mines, I'm sure its going to be very useful.

I cannot reproduce what you are describing. I may be misunderstanding
you. Could you please post an ECM for that?

Nicolas

* Re: Re: Timer mode doesn't hyphenate correctly
@ 2011-04-01  4:46 ` Mark S
From: Mark S @ 2011-04-01  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello Nicolas,

--- On Thu, 3/31/11, Nicolas <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:

>I cannot reproduce what you are describing. I may be
> misunderstanding you. Could you please post an ECM
> for that?

What's an ECM?

The scenario described has occurred 2 or 3 times now, though I can't
figure out the exact sequence.

Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes the list items are created in
chronological order, and other times in reverse-chronological order. In
fact, most of the time it wants to go in reverse-chronological order.
Since there's no example in the manual, I'm not sure which one is
"normal". I would prefer chronological order, but I can see why some might
prefer reverse-chronological.

Thanks,
Mark

* Re: Timer mode doesn't hyphenate correctly
@ 2011-04-01  6:32   ` Nicolas
From: Nicolas @ 2011-04-01  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: throaway; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

"Mark S" <throaway@yahoo.com> writes:

>>I cannot reproduce what you are describing. I may be
>> misunderstanding you. Could you please post an ECM
>> for that?
>>

> What's an ECM?

A minimal Org buffer with a recipe to reproduce the bug.

> Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes the list items are
> created in chronological order, and other times in
> reverse-chronological order. In fact, most of the time it wants to go
> in reverse-chronological order. Since there's no example in the
> manual, I'm not sure which one is "normal". I would prefer
> chronological order, but I can see why some might prefer
> reverse-chronological.

It doesn't "want" anything. If you hit M-RET between left margin and
beginning of item's body, the new item will be inserted before the
current one. Otherwise, it will be inserted after it, as in any other
type of list.

Anyway, you can always sort your timer list with "C-c ^".

Nicolas

* Re: Re: Timer mode doesn't hyphenate correctly
@ 2011-04-01 13:02   ` Mark S
From: Mark S @ 2011-04-01 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello Nicolas,

--- On Thu, 3/31/11, Nicolas <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:

> It doesn't "want" anything. If you hit M-RET between left
> margin and
> beginning of item's body, the new item will be inserted
> before the
> current one. Otherwise, it will be inserted after it, as in
> any other
> type of list.
>Anyway, you can always sort your timer list with "C-c ^".

Actually, its a little different. If you hit alt-enter at the end of a
line, without typing other text first, like

    - 0:00:02 :: <alt><enter>

It thinks that you're at the beginning of a line and places the date-stamp
*above* :

    - 0:03:43 ::
    - 0:00:02 ::

Mark

* Re: Timer mode doesn't hyphenate correctly
@ 2011-04-01 15:21     ` Nicolas
From: Nicolas @ 2011-04-01 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: throaway; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

"Mark S" <throaway@yahoo.com> writes:

> --- On Thu, 3/31/11, Nicolas <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It doesn't "want" anything. If you hit M-RET between left
>> margin and
>> beginning of item's body, the new item will be inserted
>> before the
>> current one. Otherwise, it will be inserted after it, as in
>> any other
>> type of list.
>>Anyway, you can always sort your timer list with "C-c ^".
>>

> Actually, its a little different. If you hit alt-enter at the end of
> a line, without typing other text first, like
>
>    - 0:00:02 :: <alt><enter>
>
> It thinks that you're at the beginning of a line and places the
> date-stamp *above* :
>
>    - 0:03:43 ::
>    - 0:00:02 ::

I didn't say at the beginning of line but before _item's body_. The tag
in a description list (or a timer list) isn't considered as the body of
the item, so my point is still valid. It would be the same with
a checkbox.

The advantage of this behavior is that M-RET will (or should) never
break list structure. Imagine M-RET in the middle of a checkbox or an
item tag.

Nicolas