* Show parent header in agenda
@ 2009-03-06 13:17 Ivan Nedrehagen
From: Ivan Nedrehagen @ 2009-03-06 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, org-mode is the best organizer in the world. To bad I cant fit emacs
in my filofax ;)

Want to acheive something but I do not know how.

When I create my agenda, many TODO items are written in context of the
parent header:

** Fix the annoying bug
*** DONE Search
*** DONE Fix
*** TODO Test

** Create the do-it-all-function
*** DONE Plan
*** DONE Implement
*** TODO Test

And suddenly my agenda shows:

*** TODO Test
*** TODO Test

You get the point.

So, is there any way to make the org-agenda view show the parent header of
my TODO items?

Ivan - An Org-mode enthusiast without too much elisp skill.

* Re: Show parent header in agenda
@ 2009-03-06 16:35 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-03-06 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2009-03-06, Ivan Nedrehagen <ivannedr@broadpark.no> wrote:
> Hi, org-mode is the best organizer in the world. To bad I cant fit emacs
> in my filofax ;)

This is currently my personal holy grail... I'm constantly scouring
the web-sphere for any small computer that will (a) fit in my jacket
pocket and (b) run emacs!  I want something to replace my old Psion 3s which
is what I used until the last one died and I switched to org-mode
instead.  Having now gotten used (addicted, methinks) to org-mode, the
bar has been raised and I cannot consider any computer that won't run
Emacs as a result.

There are a couple of contenders just appearing on the market, or
which *may* be appearing, including the umid m1 and the openpandora
project.  I do fully expect something appropriate and hopefully
affordable will appear on the market this year.

At the moment, I use my Asus eee PC (the original model) as my
organizer (typing this message on it, in fact) but it's a little large
to fit in any jacket pocket unfortunately.

--
Eric S Fraga, UCL
BF >++++++++++[>++++++++++>+++++++++++[<]>-]>++.>++++.<-----.++++++.------.

* Re: Show parent header in agenda
@ 2009-03-06 17:24 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-03-06 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I add information to the line to disambiguate.

In principle, the agenda could display the path in the minibuffer as
you move the cursor or the mouse.

There are other things the agenda could do, but they are more involved
and won't work in a lot of cases.

* Re: Re: Show parent header in agenda
@ 2009-03-06 18:27   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-03-06 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On 2009-03-06, Ivan Nedrehagen <ivannedr@broadpark.no> wrote:
>> Hi, org-mode is the best organizer in the world. To bad I cant fit emacs
>> in my filofax ;)
>
> This is currently my personal holy grail... I'm constantly scouring
> the web-sphere for any small computer that will (a) fit in my jacket
> pocket and (b) run emacs!  I want something to replace my old Psion 3s which
> is what I used until the last one died and I switched to org-mode
> instead.  Having now gotten used (addicted, methinks) to org-mode, the
> bar has been raised and I cannot consider any computer that won't run
> Emacs as a result.
>
> There are a couple of contenders just appearing on the market, or
> which *may* be appearing, including the umid m1 and the openpandora
> project.  I do fully expect something appropriate and hopefully
> affordable will appear on the market this year.
>
> At the moment, I use my Asus eee PC (the original model) as my
> organizer (typing this message on it, in fact) but it's a little large
> to fit in any jacket pocket unfortunately.

I have been looking too, but cant help feeling anything smaller than an
netbook just wont have the keyboard needed for emacs.

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation of the evils and damages by the technology of yesterday.  ~Dennis Gabor, Innovations:  Scientific, Technological and Social, 1970

* Re: Re: Show parent header in agenda
@ 2009-03-06 18:41     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-03-06 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard Riley writes:
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
> > This is currently my personal holy grail... I'm constantly scouring
> > the web-sphere for any small computer that will (a) fit in my jacket
> > pocket and (b) run emacs!  I want something to replace my old Psion 3s which
> > is what I used until the last one died and I switched to org-mode
> > instead.  Having now gotten used (addicted, methinks) to org-mode, the
> > bar has been raised and I cannot consider any computer that won't run
> > Emacs as a result.
>
> I have been looking too, but cant help feeling anything smaller than an
> netbook just wont have the keyboard needed for emacs.

For general emacs use, I would tend to agree with you.  However, the
really exciting aspect, for me, is that org-mode is so customisable
that I can easily imagine having key sequences that would be
appropriate for the keyboard on any device.

In fact, with key-chord, even keyboards without suitable meta/ctrl/alt
keys can be used quite effectively in emacs.

--
MC .  -.. --- -  ..-. .-. .- --. .-  .- -  ..- -.-. .-..  .- -.-.  ..- -.-
NL Professor Eric S Fraga, UCL, http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucecesf/

* Re: Re: Show parent header in agenda
@ 2009-03-09  8:17     ` Ivan Nedrehagen
From: Ivan Nedrehagen @ 2009-03-09  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

På Fri, 06 Mar 2009 19:27:19 +0100, skrev Richard Riley
<rileyrgdev@googlemail.com>:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> On 2009-03-06, Ivan Nedrehagen <ivannedr@broadpark.no> wrote:
>>> Hi, org-mode is the best organizer in the world. To bad I cant fit
>>> emacs
>>> in my filofax ;)
>>
>> This is currently my personal holy grail... I'm constantly scouring
>> the web-sphere for any small computer that will (a) fit in my jacket
>> pocket and (b) run emacs!  I want something to replace my old Psion 3s
>> which
>> is what I used until the last one died and I switched to org-mode
>> instead.  Having now gotten used (addicted, methinks) to org-mode, the
>> bar has been raised and I cannot consider any computer that won't run
>> Emacs as a result.
>>
>> There are a couple of contenders just appearing on the market, or
>> which *may* be appearing, including the umid m1 and the openpandora
>> project.  I do fully expect something appropriate and hopefully
>> affordable will appear on the market this year.
>>
>> At the moment, I use my Asus eee PC (the original model) as my
>> organizer (typing this message on it, in fact) but it's a little large
>> to fit in any jacket pocket unfortunately.
>
> I have been looking too, but cant help feeling anything smaller than an
> netbook just wont have the keyboard needed for emacs.

That is the real problem. I have a Neo Freerunner (Open smartphone)
capable of running most linux programs. But with a onscreen keyboard,
emacs wouldn't do much good. Instead I am writing an python application
that can sync and display my headers from my org file. It is not the
same, but it extends the "reach" of my org-file.