* Showing next items in agenda + deadline in past
@ 2015-01-14 13:09 Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2015-01-14 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

two questions regarding agenda views. The agenda for the current week looks
like that:

Week-agenda (W03):
Monday     12 January 2015 W03
  capture:    TODO Stellwände für kommenden Montag besorgen
Tuesday    13 January 2015
Wednesday  14 January 2015
  uni:        75 d. ago:  Abstract
  uni:        In   6 d.:  TODO Registration
Thursday   15 January 2015
Friday     16 January 2015
Saturday   17 January 2015
Sunday     18 January 2015

1) How can I configure it to show not the next n days, but the next n events
like:

Next events-agenda (W03):
Monday     12 January 2015 W03
  capture:    TODO Stellwände für kommenden Montag besorgen
Wednesday  14 January 2015
  uni:        75 d. ago:  Abstract
  uni:        In   6 d.:  TODO Registration
Saturday   17 January 2015 (+ 3d)
  whatever....

(I also added a (+ 3d) to days as an idea)

2) There is this 75 d. ago Abstract DEADLINE. How am I supposed to act on
deadlines in the past? The item has no TODO/DONE marker, just the DEADLINE.
How to say that the action that relates to this deadline is done?

Thanks,
Florian

* Re: Showing next items in agenda + deadline in past
@ 2015-01-15  7:56 ` Giulio Petrucci
From: Giulio Petrucci @ 2015-01-15  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Florian,

> 1) How can I configure it to show not the next n days, but the next n events
> like:

Don't know but I mus confess I am struggling with the same problem in
these days.

> 2) There is this 75 d. ago Abstract DEADLINE. How am I supposed to act on
> deadlines in the past? The item has no TODO/DONE marker, just the DEADLINE.
> How to say that the action that relates to this deadline is done?

I resolved marked it as DONE.
I think makes sense: you need to tell org-mode that your deadline has been met.
Would be interesting to know if there is a way to tell org-mode to
load only /future/ deadline in the agenda...

Ciao,
Giulio

* Re: Showing next items in agenda + deadline in past
@ 2015-01-15 12:47   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2015-01-15 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Giulio Petrucci wrote:
>> 1) How can I configure it to show not the next n days, but the next n events
>> like:
>
> Don't know but I mus confess I am struggling with the same problem in
> these days.
>
>> 2) There is this 75 d. ago Abstract DEADLINE. How am I supposed to act on
>> deadlines in the past? The item has no TODO/DONE marker, just the DEADLINE.
>> How to say that the action that relates to this deadline is done?
>
> I resolved marked it as DONE.
> I think makes sense: you need to tell org-mode that your deadline has been met.
> Would be interesting to know if there is a way to tell org-mode to
> load only /future/ deadline in the agenda...

Yes, with a custom agenda commands along these lines:

  (add-to-list 'org-agenda-custom-commands
               '("f" "Future deadlines"
                 ((tags-todo "DEADLINE>=\"<+0d>\"+DEADLINE<=\"<+1w>\""
                             ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Due in next 7 days"))))
                 ((org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled 'future))) t)

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Showing next items in agenda + deadline in past
@ 2015-01-15 17:45     ` Giulio Petrucci
From: Giulio Petrucci @ 2015-01-15 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastien,

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Sebastien Vauban
<sva-news@mygooglest.com> wrote:
> Yes, with a custom agenda commands along these lines:

Thanks for the snippet: I tested it and it works.
But I think that's not what Florian asked for (and what I need as well).
I need to remove past deadlines from the the result of an `agenda` command.
Any hint?

Thanks,
Giulio

* Re: Showing next items in agenda + deadline in past
@ 2015-01-15 18:07       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2015-01-15 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Giulio Petrucci wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Sebastien Vauban
> <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Yes, with a custom agenda commands along these lines:
>
> Thanks for the snippet: I tested it and it works.
> But I think that's not what Florian asked for (and what I need as well).
> I need to remove past deadlines from the the result of an `agenda` command.
> Any hint?

AFAIK, such a thing is not implemented in the standard agenda -- and
that makes sense.

If you had to do something by a certain date (be it in the past), either
you still need to do it, either you don't anymore (because it's really
too late). In the latter case, you're supposed to mark the task as DONE
(or, better, some finished state such as CANCELLED, if you configure
your states so).

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Showing next items in agenda + deadline in past
@ 2015-01-15 18:12         ` Giulio Petrucci
From: Giulio Petrucci @ 2015-01-15 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastien,

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 7:07 PM, Sebastien Vauban
<sva-news@mygooglest.com> wrote:
> AFAIK, such a thing is not implemented in the standard agenda -- and
> that makes sense.

I agree, as I pointed out before:

Giulio Petrucci wrote:
> I think makes sense: you need to tell org-mode that your deadline has been met.

I was not arguing about the correctness of the policy, but just about
a possible workaround. ;-)

Thanks,
Giulio