I'm experimenting with starterkit on a new machine and have run into a bug in org-mode elpa version 20121231. With the stock distribution org-mode (7.8.11) in emacs 24.2 there is no problem. With the elpa version 20121231 I get an error, see the attached output from emacs --debug-init. It's not clear to me why the condition is failing in org-babel-strip-protective-commas. This works properly in 7.8.11. It shouldn't be taking the path that leads to org-strip-protective-commas. The environment is the unmodified git repository for the emacs24-starter-kit, and this error is from the first #+begin_src emacs-lisp in the personalized startup file. This work is on a new machine. It doesn't have the org-mode git repository readily available. If there is an easy way to get intermediate versions from elpa I can try those relatively easily to isolate the change that triggers this error better. For now the workaround is to revert the org-mode package, get the startups the way I want them, and then re-activate the org-mode package. R Horn rjhorn@alum.mit.edu