* Prefix arguments, checklists, and lists
@ 2013-01-17 17:07 Robert Horn
From: Robert Horn @ 2013-01-17 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

The keystroke bindings for lists need some examination and repair.  In 7.9.3 the situation is:

| Keystrokes          | First Item                        | Any other item            |
|---------------------+-----------------------------------+---------------------------|
| C-c C-c             | Toggle completion this item       | Toggle this item          |
| C-u C-c C-c         | Toggle checkbox on/off whole list | Toggle checkbox this item |
| C-u C-u C-c C-c     | Set in-progess whole list         | Set in-progress this item |
| M-- C-c C-c         | Toggle completion whole list      | Toggle this item          |
| M-- C-u C-c C-c     | Toggle completion whole list      | Toggle this item          |
| M-- C-u C-u C-c C-c | Toggle completion whole list      | Toggle this item          |

Is this what is really intended?  The present behavior has the odd result that there is no sequence to toggle presence of checkbox for the first item, and there is no sequence to set in-progress for the first item.  The first item must be manually edited.  (Or maybe there's another sequence that I haven't found.)

I think this is a bug.  But the intended behavior is unclear, and the proper fix is unclear.

I personally find that I want to apply a change to individual items far more often than I want to change the whole list.  So I would pick the prefixes C-u and C-u C-u for the single item behavior in all cases, and add a different prefix to mean "apply to whole list".  Perhaps a numeric prefix of "-1"?  That's not unreasonably hard to type.  Then toggling checkbox presence for the whole list would be M-- C-u C-c C-c, and toggling the whole list for in-progress would be M-- C-u C-u C-c C-c.  The user mental model becomes "M-- means apply to whole list", which means tracking down any other relevant commands and fixing them too. The current implementation is close to this.

R Horn
rjhorn@alum.mit.edu