* timestamps and work logging
@ 2006-06-06 10:46 David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2006-06-06 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten. I have another modest proposal for you :-)

I notice that org-mode has a concept of timestamp ranges, and a
function to calculate the length of time in a given timestamp
range.

It seems to me that with a small amount of additional work, org-mode
could:

1. Provide a function org-clock-in, which lets you signal that you
   have started working on a particular task. This would start a
   timestamp range going on that task, so when you clock in on task
   Foo, you get

   ** TODO Foo
      WORK: <2006-06-06 Tue 06:33>--<>

2. Provide a function org-clock-out, which remembers where you last
   clocked in, and completes the timestamp range:

   ** TODO Foo
      WORK: <2006-06-06 Tue 06:33>--<2006-06-06 Tue 06:35>

3. Produce another timestamp range when you clock in again, thus
   recording all the time intervals when you worked on this task:

   ** TODO Foo
      WORK: <2006-06-06 Tue 06:33>--<2006-06-06 Tue 06:35>
      WORK: <2006-06-06 Tue 06:39>--<>

4. Clock out of task A if you clock in to task B without manually
   clocking out of task A.

5. Optionally display work time (i.e. no task completion) when
   log-mode is on in the Agenda buffer.

6. When you call org-clock-total in a particular org-file, sum the
   time intervals for each task in the file and produce a line like

   TOTALWORK: 3:14 (3 hours, 14 minutes)

   (This would make it easy for me to scan the file and produce client
   bills from the output.)

I originally looked at timeclock.el for this, and wrote a simple org
interface for it, but I want to keep the time logging information in
my org-files, next to each task description, and separated for each
client---not all bundled together in a huge ~/.timelog file.

What do you think? Does it sound like a lot of work?

--
Dave O'Toole
dto@gnu.org

* Re: timestamps and work logging
@ 2006-06-06 13:39 ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2006-06-06 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David O'Toole <dto@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Carsten. I have another modest proposal for you :-)
>
> I notice that org-mode has a concept of timestamp ranges, and a
> function to calculate the length of time in a given timestamp
> range.
>
> It seems to me that with a small amount of additional work, org-mode
> could:

> I originally looked at timeclock.el for this, and wrote a simple org
> interface for it, but I want to keep the time logging information in
> my org-files, next to each task description, and separated for each
> client---not all bundled together in a huge ~/.timelog file.
>
> What do you think? Does it sound like a lot of work?
>
> --
> Dave O'Toole
> dto@gnu.org

I vote for this also.  I used to use planner, and I liked being able to create
a work report, but didn't care all that much for planner, or the fact that all
the times were in a huge timelog file.

Dave in Largo, FL

* Re: timestamps and work logging
@ 2006-06-07 13:09 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-06-07 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David O'Toole; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Interesting functionality and not hard to do - I am putting it on my
list, but I am not sure how quickly this will happen.

- Carsten

On Jun 6, 2006, at 12:46, David O'Toole wrote:

> Hi Carsten. I have another modest proposal for you :-)
>
> I notice that org-mode has a concept of timestamp ranges, and a
> function to calculate the length of time in a given timestamp
> range.
>
> It seems to me that with a small amount of additional work, org-mode
> could:
>
> 1. Provide a function org-clock-in, which lets you signal that you
>    have started working on a particular task. This would start a
>    timestamp range going on that task, so when you clock in on task
>    Foo, you get
>
>    ** TODO Foo
>       WORK: <2006-06-06 Tue 06:33>--<>
>
> 2. Provide a function org-clock-out, which remembers where you last
>    clocked in, and completes the timestamp range:
>
>    ** TODO Foo
>       WORK: <2006-06-06 Tue 06:33>--<2006-06-06 Tue 06:35>
>
> 3. Produce another timestamp range when you clock in again, thus
>    recording all the time intervals when you worked on this task:
>
>    ** TODO Foo
>       WORK: <2006-06-06 Tue 06:33>--<2006-06-06 Tue 06:35>
>       WORK: <2006-06-06 Tue 06:39>--<>
>
> 4. Clock out of task A if you clock in to task B without manually
>    clocking out of task A.
>
> 5. Optionally display work time (i.e. no task completion) when
>    log-mode is on in the Agenda buffer.
>
> 6. When you call org-clock-total in a particular org-file, sum the
>    time intervals for each task in the file and produce a line like
>
>    TOTALWORK: 3:14 (3 hours, 14 minutes)
>
>    (This would make it easy for me to scan the file and produce client
>    bills from the output.)
>
> I originally looked at timeclock.el for this, and wrote a simple org
> interface for it, but I want to keep the time logging information in
> my org-files, next to each task description, and separated for each
> client---not all bundled together in a huge ~/.timelog file.
>
> What do you think? Does it sound like a lot of work?
>
> --
> Dave O'Toole
> dto@gnu.org

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: timestamps and work logging
@ 2006-06-07 14:12   ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2006-06-07 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Interesting functionality and not hard to do - I am putting it on my
> list, but I am not sure how quickly this will happen.

I vote +1 on this.  I'm using org-timestamp.el, and it's basically
adequate to my needs, but a more-integrated solution would help, too
(especially in terms of grouping related tasks).  Totalling time usage
per-task and per-subtree would be really useful.  Per-file, maybe not
so much --- I keep everything in one org file, not one-per-client.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| A flower falls, even though we love it; and a weed grows, |
| even though we do not love it.            -- Dogen        |

* Re: timestamps and work logging
@ 2006-06-07 15:29     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2006-06-07 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason F. McBrayer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2006/6/7, Jason F. McBrayer <jmcbray@carcosa.net>:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
> > Interesting functionality and not hard to do - I am putting it on my
> > list, but I am not sure how quickly this will happen.
>
> I vote +1 on this.  I'm using org-timestamp.el,

What is that ?
--
Xavier Maillard

* Re: timestamps and work logging
@ 2006-06-07 15:42       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-06-07 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I Guess a typo.  org-timeclock.el from David.

- Carsten

@ 2006-06-07 20:43         ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2006-06-07 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Xavier Maillard, emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> I Guess a typo.  org-timeclock.el from David.

Yes, that's right; I mean org-timeclock.el, by David O'Toole.

| Jason F. McBrayer                         jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
|  "If you wish to make Pythocles wealthy, don't give him more   |
|   money; rather, reduce his desires."            -- Epicurus   |