* Inconsistencies in email and author export
@ 2011-01-13 14:48 Lawrence Mitchell
From: Lawrence Mitchell @ 2011-01-13 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The decision for when to add email and author information to an
exported document seems to be treated somewhat inconsistently
between export backends.

The intent appears to be that the global default for exporting
the author's name is controlled by org-export-author-info, and
the email by org-export-email-info.  These can be overriden by
options in the file of the form author:value and email:value
respectively.

To check whether a backend should export the relevant info it
appears one should use:

(if (plist-get opt-plist :author-info)
    ;; we can export author info now
  )

And similarly for email export.  This obeys the file-local
setting first and foremost and then falls back on the default
value if no local setting is in effect.

However, most backends do not seem to stick to this.  For example
org-docbook.el exports the author info unilaterally and the email
info if org-export-email-info is non-nil.

org-ascii.el exports the author info if org-export-author-info is
non-nil and email if both org-export-author-info and
org-export-email-info are non-nil.

org-latex.el exports the author info if :author-info is non-nil
in the options plist, and doesn't export the email info at all
(see my recent patch fixing this).

org-html.el uses org-export-author-info and
org-export-email-info.

It seems then that most backends do not pay attention to
file-local settings, which does feel like a bug.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Lawrence
--
Lawrence Mitchell <wence@gmx.li>

* Re: Inconsistencies in email and author export
@ 2011-02-11 13:35 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-11 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence Mitchell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Lawrence,

Lawrence Mitchell <wence@gmx.li> writes:

> The decision for when to add email and author information to an
> exported document seems to be treated somewhat inconsistently
> between export backends.

Yes, it is a bit inconsistent.  However, I'd rather discuss the way
author/email information are inserted *per backend*: if one backend
does the wrong thing, let's fix this backend.

If every backend behaves wisely, then no need to set rules for all
backends at once.

What do you think?

--
 Bastien