From: "Denis Bitouzé" <dbitouze-39ZsbGIQGT5GWvitb5QawA@public.gmane.org>
To: "Charles C. Berry" <ccberry-XkckGZ689+c@public.gmane.org>
Cc: "Denis Bitouzé"
	<public-dbitouze-39ZsbGIQGT5GWvitb5QawA-wOFGN7rlS/M9smdsby/KFg@public.gmane.org>,
	"Nicolas Goaziou"
	<mail-Gpy5sJQTEQHwkn9pgDnJRVAUjnlXr6A1@public.gmane.org>,
	public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ-wOFGN7rlS/M9smdsby/KFg@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: Bug: \vert{} exported to markdown not as expected [8.3.1 (8.3.1-103-g366dc4-elpa @ /home/bitouze/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150907/)]
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 09:46:01 +0200	[thread overview]

Le 14/09/15 à 02h10, "Charles C. Berry" <ccberry-XkckGZ689+c@public.gmane.org> a écrit :

> On Sun, 13 Sep 2015, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>

>> Denis Bitouzé <dbitouze-39ZsbGIQGT5GWvitb5QawA-XMD5yJDbdMReXY1tMh2IBg@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>
> [...]
>
>> Markdown export back-end use :html conventions to translate entities.
>> For some reason, HTML prefers &vert; over |, and so does markdown.
>>
>> There are a few options available:
>>
>>  1. Prefer | over &vert; in HTML
>>  2. Overwrite "vert" entity with a new one that would do 1. So
>>     basically, this is 1 but on your machine only.
>>  3. Use a new entity that becomes | when used in HTML export.
>>

> If this creates a backend derived from 'md (and does not modify ox-md.el),
> then fine. But, ...
>
> It seem like there are flavors of Markdown that use verticals for varying
> purposes.

Sigh... :)

> For example, rmarkdown
>
> 	http://rmarkdown.rstudio.com/authoring_pandoc_markdown.html
>
> uses them as `line block' markers and to construct `table.el' style tables.
>
> And I have seen verticals used to set off citations elsewhere.

Sigh... again :)

> And I am not even sure what Denis meant by using them to `interpret
> strings'.

As said, I'm only a very occasional markdown user, mainly on github and
SE (flavors).

In my current usecase (on a OSQA site), e.g. |REP_GAIN_BY_UPVOTED|
entered as markdown displays the value of REP_GAIN_BY_UPVOTED (some
internal site variable) when rendered as HTML.

Anyway, as pointed out in my answer to Nicolas, it may be useful to
other org mode users to be able to obtain "real" pipe symbol in markdown
export. Hence, a new entity that becomes | when used in md export could
be nice...

Best.
--
Denis