* [babel] Is ":results output inline" possible ?
@ 2009-10-19  5:48 emailorama
From: emailorama @ 2009-10-19  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The org-babel package looks very nice.
Thanks to Eric for doing this.
It seems to have so many possibilities.

I wonder, is it possible to get "inline" output ?

It seems to be very close to the existing option
  ":results output"
but would just put the output "inline" rather than in a
quoted block.  (So maybe it would need a closing delimiter,
as in the example below).

This would allow writing a program to generate output
in org-mode syntax.

This effect might also be thought of as a sort of
"multilingual" macro replacement.

Right now I can get this effect by simply removing the
":" characters from the beginning of each line of the
quoted block results.

But it seems like there must be cleaner ways to do it.

If not, could this be considered a feature request ?

An example (demo) is shown below, in the ruby language.
(although the idea is not specific to ruby -
 it would apply to other languages as well)

I'm not sure what the best name such an option would be.
Maybe "inline" or "org".

Thank you for any thoughts about this,

al

 currently got
#+srcname: demoruby
#+begin_src ruby :results output
require 'date'
puts "* heading for demo"
puts "This demo done on #{Date.today}"
puts "Try to create a table in org-mode syntax"
puts "| letter | number |"
puts "|-----------------|"
puts "| a      |      1 |"
puts "| b      |      2 |"
#+end_src

#+resname: demoruby
: * heading for demo
: This demo done on 2009-10-19
: Try to create a table in org-mode syntax
: | letter | number |
: |-----------------|
: | a      |      1 |
: | b      |      2 |

 would like something like this
#+srcname: demoruby
#+begin_src ruby :results output inline
require 'date'
puts "* heading for demo"
puts "This demo done on #{Date.today}"
puts "Try to create a table in org-mode syntax"
puts "| letter | number |"
puts "|-----------------|"
puts "| a      |      1 |"
puts "| b      |      2 |"
#+end_src

#+resname: demoruby
* heading for demo
This demo done on 2009-10-19
Try to create a table in org-mode syntax
| letter | number |
|--------+--------|
| a      |      1 |
| b      |      2 |
#+endresname: demoruby

* Re: [babel] Is ":results output inline" possible ?
@ 2009-10-19 13:51 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-10-19 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emailorama; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi al,

This is currently possible by adding either "raw" or "org" to your
results headers.  So the following should work.

#+srcname: demoruby
#+begin_src ruby :results output org
require 'date'
puts "* heading for demo"
puts "This demo done on #{Date.today}"
puts "Try to create a table in org-mode syntax"
puts "| letter | number |"
puts "| a      |      1 |"
puts "| b      |      2 |"
#+end_src

I need to update the documentation to reflect some of the more recent
development.

Best -- Eric