* Why functions like org-show-subtree are undocumented?
@ 2012-01-23 16:27 Alexander Corvinus
From: Alexander Corvinus @ 2012-01-23 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I just reviewed code in org.el and noticed that function org-show-subtree,
which is called by org-cycle, unconditionally shows whole subtree (exactly
what I wanted to have in my shortcuts!).

So the question is - why such useful functions like org-show-subtree,
hide-subtree, show-children aren't documented in manual? Because of that,
previously I thought that what I wanted was impossible (without source
change).

Thanks

* Re: Why functions like org-show-subtree are undocumented?
@ 2012-01-24  9:40 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-01-24  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Corvinus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Alexander,

Alexander Corvinus <acrvns@gmail.com> writes:

> So the question is - why such useful functions like org-show-subtree,
> hide-subtree, show-children aren't documented in manual? Because of
> that, previously I thought that what I wanted was impossible (without
> source change).

Please submit a patch.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Why functions like org-show-subtree are undocumented?
@ 2012-01-24 11:22 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2012-01-24 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Corvinus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 23.1.2012, at 16:27, Alexander Corvinus wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just reviewed code in org.el and noticed that function org-show-subtree, which is called by org-cycle, unconditionally shows whole subtree (exactly what I wanted to have in my shortcuts!).
>
> So the question is - why such useful functions like org-show-subtree, hide-subtree, show-children aren't documented in manual? Because of that, previously I thought that what I wanted was impossible (without source change).

Emacs outline-mode has a plethora of such specific commands, and
exposes all of them as user interface.  Org prides itself
to have compressed that entire functionality into the TAB and S-TAB
commands.  You specific example, org-show-subtree is basically
TAB TAB on a closed tree.  SO yes, there are lots such commands,
but I am no sure it would be good to expose them in the manual.

- Carsten

@ 2012-02-26 15:25   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2012-02-26 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

on Tue Jan 24 2012, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23.1.2012, at 16:27, Alexander Corvinus wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just reviewed code in org.el and noticed that function
>> org-show-subtree, which is called by org-cycle, unconditionally
>> shows whole subtree (exactly what I wanted to have in my
>> shortcuts!).
>>
>> So the question is - why such useful functions like
>> org-show-subtree, hide-subtree, show-children aren't documented in
>> manual? Because of that, previously I thought that what I wanted was
>> impossible (without source change).
>
> Emacs outline-mode has a plethora of such specific commands, and
> exposes all of them as user interface.  Org prides itself
> to have compressed that entire functionality into the TAB and S-TAB
> commands.  You specific example, org-show-subtree is basically
> TAB TAB on a closed tree.  SO yes, there are lots such commands,
> but I am no sure it would be good to expose them in the manual.

That's the difference between a user manual (documents TAB TAB) and an
API reference manual.  But both are needed, especially since all Emacs
users eventually become programmers at some level.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing