* Org, Org-mode, Orgmode, Org Mode
@ 2012-06-02  8:12 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-06-02  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Looking at the documentation and also the website and Worg, I see that
we still use all these monikers interchangeably in both capitalized and
lowercase form throughout.  I seem to remember that there was some
discussion that only one of them should be used going forward, but I
can't find it...

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Org, Org-mode, Orgmode, Org Mode
@ 2012-06-02  9:04 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-06-02  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Looking at the documentation and also the website and Worg, I see that
> we still use all these monikers interchangeably in both capitalized and
> lowercase form throughout.  I seem to remember that there was some
> discussion that only one of them should be used going forward, but I
> can't find it...
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

look at:
/org-mode/doc/Documentation_Standards.org

in your Org-mode (?) distribution

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Org, Org-mode, Orgmode, Org Mode
@ 2012-06-02  9:40   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-06-02  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz writes:
> look at:
> /org-mode/doc/Documentation_Standards.org

I know and FWIW I think these are all good suggestions.  However, I seem
to remember that this was again discussed when the printed Org mode
manual was in preparation.  Our "official" website seems to have
semi-standardized on Org-mode (hyphenated), while the info manual mostly
uses Org mode (with a space).

So my question still stands, which variant is the preferred one if any
and should we work to standardize it across all documentation?

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: Org, Org-mode, Orgmode, Org Mode
@ 2012-06-02 10:00     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-06-02 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> So my question still stands, which variant is the preferred one if any
> and should we work to standardize it across all documentation?

It would indeed be very usefull to have that written in stone once and forever,
I personally like Org-mode best.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Org, Org-mode, Orgmode, Org Mode
@ 2012-06-02 10:11     ` Bastien
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Bastien @ 2012-06-02 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Achim and Thorsten,

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> So my question still stands, which variant is the preferred one if any
> and should we work to standardize it across all documentation?

The documentation standards states:

 - Prefer "Org mode" to "Org-mode" or "org-mode".  This is simply
   because it reflects an existing convention in The Emacs Manual which
   consistently documents mode names in this form -- "Text mode",
   "Outline mode", "Mail mode" etc.

I think it should also apply for the website.

I updated the website to use "Org mode" instead of "Org-mode" and
"Org-Mode".

--
 Bastien

* Re: Org, Org-mode, Orgmode, Org Mode
@ 2012-06-02 14:06       ` Gregory Benjamin
From: Gregory Benjamin @ 2012-06-02 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 12:11:48PM +0200, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Achim and Thorsten,
>
> Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:
>
> > So my question still stands, which variant is the preferred one if any
> > and should we work to standardize it across all documentation?
>
> The documentation standards states:
>
>  - Prefer "Org mode" to "Org-mode" or "org-mode".  This is simply
>    because it reflects an existing convention in The Emacs Manual which
>    consistently documents mode names in this form -- "Text mode",
>    "Outline mode", "Mail mode" etc.
>
> I think it should also apply for the website.
>
> I updated the website to use "Org mode" instead of "Org-mode" and
> "Org-Mode".

I believe Org-mode is vastly superior to the alternatives because the
hyphen links the two little words into a fairly unique pattern that
results in pertinent results from search engines.

I believe every effort should be made to adopt Org-mode universally;
to use Org mode instead will make Org-mode material much harder to
find on the internet.

Furthermore, to invoke Org-mode from inside Emacs, one types "M-x
org-mode", not "M-x org mode".

--
Greg Benjamin

* Re: Org, Org-mode, Orgmode, Org Mode
@ 2012-06-02 14:29         ` Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2012-06-02 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Gregory,
* Gregory Benjamin <gregb@laserlab.com> [02. Jun. 2012]:
> On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 12:11:48PM +0200, Bastien wrote:
>> The documentation standards states:
>>
>>  - Prefer "Org mode" to "Org-mode" or "org-mode".  This is simply
>>    because it reflects an existing convention in The Emacs Manual which
>>    consistently documents mode names in this form -- "Text mode",
>>    "Outline mode", "Mail mode" etc.
>>
>> I think it should also apply for the website.
>>
>> I updated the website to use "Org mode" instead of "Org-mode" and
>> "Org-Mode".
>
> I believe Org-mode is vastly superior to the alternatives because the
> hyphen links the two little words into a fairly unique pattern that
> results in pertinent results from search engines.
>
> I believe every effort should be made to adopt Org-mode universally;
> to use Org mode instead will make Org-mode material much harder to
> find on the internet.

Most, especially "the" search engine allows for quoted "org mode"
searches...

> Furthermore, to invoke Org-mode from inside Emacs, one types "M-x
> org-mode", not "M-x org mode".

True.

Ciao, Gregor
--
 -... --- .-. . -.. ..--.. ...-.-

* Re: Org, Org-mode, Orgmode, Org Mode
@ 2012-06-02 15:32       ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-06-02 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi Achim and Thorsten,
>
> Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:
>
>> So my question still stands, which variant is the preferred one if any
>> and should we work to standardize it across all documentation?
>
> The documentation standards states:
>
>  - Prefer "Org mode" to "Org-mode" or "org-mode".  This is simply
>   because it reflects an existing convention in The Emacs Manual which
>   consistently documents mode names in this form -- "Text mode",
>   "Outline mode", "Mail mode" etc.
>
> I think it should also apply for the website.
>
> I updated the website to use "Org mode" instead of "Org-mode" and
> "Org-Mode".

The above suggestion is very reasonable and consistent with the rest of
Emacs. But I would like to point out I have seen Carsten mostly use
"Org-mode". Here is one example:
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/25840/match=org+mode>

:)

--
Suvayu

* Re: Org, Org-mode, Orgmode, Org Mode
@ 2012-06-02 19:22         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2012-06-02 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: Bastien, Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

Org-mode can mislead you into thinking that it is a command or a
major-mode symbol.  It is neither.  :)

So the Bikeshed Vote of the Week for me goes to Org mode in docs in
conformance with the Emacs Manual.

I'd suggest Org when referring to the entire collection of Org mode,
Orgstruct mode, Org mode format, Org vim clones, the Org way of life,
Org merchandise, the Org movie franchise, the Org anime, the Platonic
Org, etc.

Samuel

* Re: Org, Org-mode, Orgmode, Org Mode
@ 2012-06-02 20:10       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-06-02 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Bastien,

Bastien wrote:
> Hi Achim and Thorsten,
>
> Achim Gratz <Stromeko-i47jiTeKxPI@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> So my question still stands, which variant is the preferred one if any
>> and should we work to standardize it across all documentation?
>
> The documentation standards states:
>
>  - Prefer "Org mode" to "Org-mode" or "org-mode".  This is simply
>    because it reflects an existing convention in The Emacs Manual which
>    consistently documents mode names in this form -- "Text mode",
>    "Outline mode", "Mail mode" etc.
>
> I think it should also apply for the website.
>
> I updated the website to use "Org mode" instead of "Org-mode" and
> "Org-Mode".

Though, if we look at the doc, we see:

Org Mode Manual
***************

This manual is for Org version 7.8.10 (release_7.8.10-568-gc84cda).

ie:

- one time with capital M
- once where "Org" only is used

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Org, Org-mode, Orgmode, Org Mode
@ 2012-06-02 20:38         ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2012-06-02 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 06/02/2012 04:10 PM, Sebastien Vauban wrote:
> Bastien,
>
> Bastien wrote:
>> Hi Achim and Thorsten,
>>
>> Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:
>>
>>> So my question still stands, which variant is the preferred one if any
>>> and should we work to standardize it across all documentation?
>>
>> The documentation standards states:
>>
>>  - Prefer "Org mode" to "Org-mode" or "org-mode".  This is simply
>>    because it reflects an existing convention in The Emacs Manual which
>>    consistently documents mode names in this form -- "Text mode",
>>    "Outline mode", "Mail mode" etc.
>>
>> I think it should also apply for the website.
>>
>> I updated the website to use "Org mode" instead of "Org-mode" and
>> "Org-Mode".
>
> Though, if we look at the doc, we see:

> Org Mode Manual
> ***************
>
> This manual is for Org version 7.8.10 (release_7.8.10-568-gc84cda).
>
> ie:
>
> - one time with capital M
> - once where "Org" only is used
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

My habit is to use "Org-mode" when I introduce Org mode to others. I do
this so that it is understood that I'm not talking about an organization
and so that others realize that Org mode is a mode of Emacs. But this is
only a habit.

Scott Randby

* Re: Org, Org-mode, Orgmode, Org Mode
@ 2012-06-03  3:23           ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2012-06-03  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, people.

On the nomenclature issue of our preferred tool, if I had my say, I
would suggest Org, and drop "mode".  Org is really a major Emacs mode,
in many acceptations of the word "major".  We should speak of Org the
same way we speak of Calc or Gnus (or Dired).

Of course, these all have a mode, and in fact, many of them, so we could
speak about Calc modes or Gnus modes, but Calc and Gnus (and Dired) are
just OK.  Same should go for Org, it is a grown up by now :-).

François

* Re: Org, Org-mode, Orgmode, Org Mode
@ 2012-06-03  6:25             ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-06-03  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> On the nomenclature issue of our preferred tool, if I had my say, I
> would suggest Org, and drop "mode".  Org is really a major Emacs mode,
> in many acceptations of the word "major".  We should speak of Org the
> same way we speak of Calc or Gnus (or Dired).

Org is nice, but:

,----------------------------
| (Google)
|
| org or "org"
| About 8,760,000,000 results
|
| org-mode
| About 49,800,000 results
| (but Org-mode on top)
|
| org mode
| About 55,200,000 results
| (but Org-mode on top)
|
| "org-mode" or "org mode"
| About 812,000 results
`----------------------------

And isn't "org" often used as abbrev for "organisation" too?
Otherwise, Org sounds really good as a 'brand name'.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Org, Org-mode, Orgmode, Org Mode
@ 2012-06-03  8:30   ` Philip Rooke
From: Philip Rooke @ 2012-06-03  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

> Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:
>
>> Looking at the documentation and also the website and Worg, I see that
>> we still use all these monikers interchangeably in both capitalized and
>> lowercase form throughout.  I seem to remember that there was some
>> discussion that only one of them should be used going forward, but I
>> can't find it...
>>

>> Regards,
>> Achim.
>
> look at:
> /org-mode/doc/Documentation_Standards.org
>
> in your Org-mode (?) distribution

See below for an historical data point.

I wrote that standards doc after an off-list discussion/agreement with
Carsten and Bastien back in early 2008 and just before I made an effort
to tidy up these sort of issues in the docs.

Obviously Org development, awareness and use has exploded since those
days and so it seems reasonable to check whether what we said back then
remains relevant today.  I don't really mind what the standard is but I
certainly agree that having one is a good thing.

Regards,

Phil

---------------
From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Documentation standards
To: phil@yax.org.uk
Cc: bzg@altern.org
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:40:08 +0100 (4 years, 9 weeks, 5 days ago)

Dear Phil,

I am pretty much happy with all the proposed changes, below are some
comments.

[...snip...]

> 7) [...] Thus I have seen Org-mode, org-mode, org or Org referring to
> the mode itself, the function 'org-mode' and then a variety of
> 'org-mode-...' functions and variables.  I would like to standardise
> on Org when referring to the mode (as a noun if you like) and
> org-... in all other instances.  I think it will also work better with
> the way a number of other modes (eg Calc) are also already referenced.
> Likewise, I would also like to disambiguate Orgtbl the minor mode, and
> others, from references to that mode's functions and variables.

I am all for it.  I thought that I have used "Org-mode" very systematically
throughout the manual, but maybe I am mistaken.

If you choose "Org", how about the following: Let "Org" refer to the
system as a whole, not narrowed down to the mode.  Because in fact, Org
contains a number of different major modes.  So use org-mode or Org-mode
when you specifically mean the major mode in .org files and its
properties.  Use Org as the general term which then in places might be
used instead of org- mode if there is not misconception possible.

- Carsten