* [ANN] orgbox: Mailbox-like task scheduling in org-agenda.
@ 2014-03-21  3:16 Yasuhito Takamiya
From: Yasuhito Takamiya @ 2014-03-21  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

For your information, to anyone interested in GTD and org-mode,
I am developing a tiny tool for org-mode to schedule your agenda tasks
easily like Mailbox iPhone app (http://www.mailboxapp.com/).

https://github.com/yasuhito/orgbox
(This is already available on MELPA.)

Usage:
  - Open org-agenda view.
  - Move your cursor to a task you want to schedule and type C-c C-s
    (or M-x orgbox).
  - Select one of the scheduling method from the menu shown on the
    minibuffer.

- [l] Later Today
- [e] This Evening
- [t] Tomorrow
- [w] This Weekend
- [n] Next Week
- [i] In a Month
- [s] Someday
- [p] Pick Date

If anyone is interested in being involved in taking this forward,
that'd be great.

Yasuhito

* Re: [ANN] orgbox: Mailbox-like task scheduling in org-agenda.
@ 2014-03-21  7:28 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-03-21  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasuhito Takamiya; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Hello Yasuhito,

Yasuhito Takamiya <yasuhito@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> For your information, to anyone interested in GTD and org-mode,
> I am developing a tiny tool for org-mode to schedule your agenda tasks
> easily like Mailbox iPhone app (http://www.mailboxapp.com/).
>
> https://github.com/yasuhito/orgbox
> (This is already available on MELPA.)
>
> Usage:
>   - Open org-agenda view.
>   - Move your cursor to a task you want to schedule and type C-c C-s
>     (or M-x orgbox).
>   - Select one of the scheduling method from the menu shown on the
>     minibuffer.
>
> - [l] Later Today
> - [e] This Evening
> - [t] Tomorrow
> - [w] This Weekend
> - [n] Next Week
> - [i] In a Month
> - [s] Someday
> - [p] Pick Date
>
> If anyone is interested in being involved in taking this forward,
> that'd be great.

I had a quick look at your code and this looks like a nice idea. I have
a couple comments.

It would be great to be able to configure some of the hard-coded dates
and time, such as:
- later today: number of hours (currently 3)
- start of evening: currently 18:00
- start of day: currently 08:00
- start of weekend: currently Saturday (you could use
  `org-agenda-weekend-days' as you are doing for the `orgbox-weekend-p'
  predicate)
- start of week: currently Monday, at 08:00
- someday: currently in 3 months

I don't know how difficult it would be to make these user configurable.
In any case, I find this is a very useful addition to scheduling in org
mode.

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: [ANN] orgbox: Mailbox-like task scheduling in org-agenda.
@ 2014-03-21 10:03 ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-03-21 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Yasuhito Takamiya <yasuhito@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,

Hi!

Short remark:

> - [l] Later Today
> - [e] This Evening
> - [t] Tomorrow
> - [w] This Weekend
> - [n] Next Week
> - [i] In a Month

From a mnemonic point of view, I would rather choose [m] for "in a
month".

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: [ANN] orgbox: Mailbox-like task scheduling in org-agenda.
@ 2014-03-21 12:08   ` Yasuhito Takamiya
From: Yasuhito Takamiya @ 2014-03-21 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

> From a mnemonic point of view, I would rather choose [m] for "in a
> month".

Ah I totally agree && fixed in the latest release.
Thank you very much for your comments.

Yasuhito

@ 2014-03-21 12:21   ` Yasuhito Takamiya
From: Yasuhito Takamiya @ 2014-03-21 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Hello Alan,

> It would be great to be able to configure some of the hard-coded dates
> and time, such as:
> - later today: number of hours (currently 3)
> - start of evening: currently 18:00
> - start of day: currently 08:00
> - start of weekend: currently Saturday (you could use
>   `org-agenda-weekend-days' as you are doing for the `orgbox-weekend-p'
>   predicate)
> - start of week: currently Monday, at 08:00
> - someday: currently in 3 months

Yes, I would add these defcustoms in the next comming release.
Thanks for your valuable comments!

Yasuhito

@ 2014-03-24  7:33   ` Yasuhito Takamiya
From: Yasuhito Takamiya @ 2014-03-24  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Hi Alan,

> It would be great to be able to configure some of the hard-coded dates
> and time, such as:
> - later today: number of hours (currently 3)
> - start of evening: currently 18:00
> - start of day: currently 08:00
> - start of weekend: currently Saturday (you could use
>   `org-agenda-weekend-days' as you are doing for the `orgbox-weekend-p'
>   predicate)
> - start of week: currently Monday, at 08:00
> - someday: currently in 3 months

Added the following defcustoms.

- orgbox-start-time-of-day
- orgbox-start-day-of-week
- orgbox-start-time-of-weekends
- orgbox-start-day-of-weekends
- orgbox-start-time-of-evening
- orgbox-later
- orgbox-someday

https://github.com/yasuhito/orgbox

Thanks for your feedback!

@ 2014-03-24 14:00     ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-03-24 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasuhito Takamiya; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

I installed this manually, because I don't want to use org from elpa (as
I prefer to stay up to date with the master branch).

Is there a way to install orgbox without pulling the org dependency?

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: [ANN] orgbox: Mailbox-like task scheduling in org-agenda.
@ 2014-03-24 19:35       ` Aaron Ecay
From: Aaron Ecay @ 2014-03-24 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt, Yasuhito Takamiya; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Hi Alan,

I installed the attached file with M-x package-install-file to avoid
getting org pulled in via (M)ELPA.  The large version number means that
new versions of org don’t look like upgrades, preventing them from
overwriting this package.  Obviously, you should edit the path to your
git checkout of org.  You’ll additionally have to add the org/lisp and
org/contrib/lisp (if desired) directories from the git checkout to
load-path in your init.el (before calling package-initialize).

(I think the copyright line was put there because package.el would
fuss if it was missing.  This code is so short I doubt it is actually
copyrightable.)

[-- Attachment #2: org.el --]

Aaron Ecay

* Re: [ANN] orgbox: Mailbox-like task scheduling in org-agenda.
@ 2014-03-25 14:34         ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-03-25 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Hi Aaron,

Aaron Ecay <aaronecay@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Alan,
>
> I installed the attached file with M-x package-install-file to avoid
> getting org pulled in via (M)ELPA.  The large version number means that
> new versions of org don’t look like upgrades, preventing them from
> overwriting this package.  Obviously, you should edit the path to your
> git checkout of org.  You’ll additionally have to add the org/lisp and
> org/contrib/lisp (if desired) directories from the git checkout to
> load-path in your init.el (before calling package-initialize).
>
> (I think the copyright line was put there because package.el would
> fuss if it was missing.  This code is so short I doubt it is actually
> copyrightable.)
>

> ;;; org.el --- Dummy org mode package
>
> ;; Copyright (C) 2013 Aaron Ecay
>
> ;; Version: 30000101
>
> (let ((org-dir "/home/aecay/development/org-mode/lisp/"))
>   (load (concat org-dir "org.el")))
>
> ;;; org.el ends here

This is a great suggestion! As I'm already loading org, I follow
a similar approach. I installed the following file (with an updated
copyright ;-))

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
;;; org.el --- Dummy org mode package

;; Copyright (C) 2014 Alan Schmitt