* Force new page on exporting
@ 2014-06-30 23:37 York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2014-06-30 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm selectively exporting some subtree of an org-mode buffer, like this:

* Headline1                                                          :export:
* Headline2
* Headline3                                                          :export:

Question is: how do I force Headline3 to be on a new page while exporting to
LaTeX?

Thanks in advance

* Re: Force new page on exporting
@ 2014-07-01  0:49 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-07-01  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: York Zhao; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha York,

York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm selectively exporting some subtree of an org-mode buffer, like this:
>
> * Headline1                                                          :export:

#+latex: \newpage

> * Headline2
> * Headline3                                                          :export:
>
> Question is: how do I force Headline3 to be on a new page while exporting to
> LaTeX?

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Force new page on exporting
@ 2014-07-01  2:13   ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2014-07-01  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks Thomas. This works but is not an ideal approach because in a complex file
it may not be so easy to find out the location to insert the "\newpage"
instruction. Plus, each time when inserting new exported tree between
"Headline1" and "Headline2" you would have to remember to move the "\newpage" to
the end of the new tree.

@ 2014-07-01  4:00     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-07-01  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: York Zhao; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha York,

York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks Thomas. This works but is not an ideal approach because in a complex file
> it may not be so easy to find out the location to insert the "\newpage"
> instruction. Plus, each time when inserting new exported tree between
> "Headline1" and "Headline2" you would have to remember to move the "\newpage" to
> the end of the new tree.

Agreed.  Something like this is more visible.

* Latex New Page                                 :ignoreheading:
#+latex: \newpage

Also, see the LaTeX commands \pagebreak and \clearpage, which do
generally the same thing but in slightly different ways.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Force new page on exporting
@ 2014-07-01 14:45       ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2014-07-01 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> * Latex New Page :ignoreheading:
> #+latex: \newpage

This should work, but didn't, I will figure out why when I have some time.

> Also, see the LaTeX commands \pagebreak and \clearpage, which do generally the
> same thing but in slightly different ways.

I was aware of these, but if \newpage doesn't work I don't think these will
work. But thank you very much anyway.

* Re: Force new page on exporting
@ 2014-07-01 15:06       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-07-01 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: York Zhao, emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:00 PM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> Aloha York,
>
> York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Thanks Thomas. This works but is not an ideal approach because in a complex file
>> it may not be so easy to find out the location to insert the "\newpage"
>> instruction. Plus, each time when inserting new exported tree between
>> "Headline1" and "Headline2" you would have to remember to move the "\newpage" to
>> the end of the new tree.
>

> Agreed.  Something like this is more visible.
>
> * Latex New Page                                 :ignoreheading:
> #+latex: \newpage

Clever! I was trying to think of a way to do it within headline 3, but
get it to break before the actual section heading... this much better.
One question, say the following occurs:

* Heading 1     :export: ...
* Heading 2
* Latex New Page     :ignoreheading:export:
#+latex: \newpage

* Heading 3     :export: ...

Say that with \maketitle and possible TOC, Heading 1 ends exactly on
the last line of page 1. Won't the \newpage command create a full
blank page on page 2, with Heading 3 starting on page 3?

Rare situation, but just thought I'd inquire about the possibility.

John

@ 2014-07-01 15:30         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-07-01 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:

>> * Latex New Page :ignoreheading:
>> #+latex: \newpage
>
> This should work, but didn't, I will figure out why when I have some time.

My understanding is that you need extra machinery to implement
"ignoreheading": some sort of a filter[fn:1] is necessary, is this
correct? Maybe that's what you are missing.

Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] à la Suvayu or otherwise - there was some ML discussion recently
       that I glanced over briefly, but I skipped over most of
       it. Apologies if I've misunderstoof.

* Re: Force new page on exporting
@ 2014-07-01 15:52           ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2014-07-01 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> My understanding is that you need extra machinery to implement "ignoreheading"

I had implemented machinery the "ignoreheading" and posted the code in the post
"Wrong numbering after removal of headline". But anyways here's my code:

(defun yz/org-export-process-heading-removal (backend)
  "Ignore headlines with tag `ignoreheading'."
  (save-excursion
    (let ((org-allow-promoting-top-level-subtree t))
      (org-map-entries
       (lambda ()
         (when (member "removeheading" (org-get-local-tags))
           (org-promote-subtree)
           (delete-region (line-beginning-position)
                          (progn (forward-line) (point)))))))))

(add-hook 'org-export-before-parsing-hook
          #'yz/org-export-process-heading-removal)

This code worked for ignoring the headline with tag "removeheading", and did
re-numbering all the headlines properly. But:

* Latex New Page :ignoreheading:
#+latex: \newpage

 Still didn't work which I have no idea at this moment yet. Any idea?

* Re: Force new page on exporting
@ 2014-07-01 16:12         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-07-01 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: York Zhao; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha York,

York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:

>> * Latex New Page :ignoreheading:
>> #+latex: \newpage
>
> This should work, but didn't, I will figure out why when I have some time.
>
>> Also, see the LaTeX commands \pagebreak and \clearpage, which do generally the
>> same thing but in slightly different ways.
>
> I was aware of these, but if \newpage doesn't work I don't think these will
> work. But thank you very much anyway.

This works for me.  I'm using Suvayu Ali's function to ignore the headline:

#+name: ignoreheading-on-export
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results silent
  (defun sa-ignore-headline (contents backend info)
    "Ignore headlines with tag `ignoreheading'."
    (when (and (org-export-derived-backend-p backend 'latex 'html 'ascii)
               (string-match "\\`.*ignoreheading.*\n"
                             (downcase contents)))
      (replace-match "" nil nil contents)))
  (add-to-list 'org-export-filter-headline-functions 'sa-ignore-headline)
#+END_SRC

hth,
Tom
--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813

* Re: Force new page on exporting
@ 2014-07-01 16:21             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-07-01 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:

>> My understanding is that you need extra machinery to implement "ignoreheading"
>
> I had implemented machinery the "ignoreheading" and posted the code in the post
> "Wrong numbering after removal of headline". But anyways here's my code:
>
> (defun yz/org-export-process-heading-removal (backend)
>   "Ignore headlines with tag `ignoreheading'."
>   (save-excursion
>     (let ((org-allow-promoting-top-level-subtree t))
>       (org-map-entries
>        (lambda ()
>          (when (member "removeheading" (org-get-local-tags))
>            (org-promote-subtree)
>            (delete-region (line-beginning-position)
>                           (progn (forward-line) (point)))))))))
>
> (add-hook 'org-export-before-parsing-hook
>           #'yz/org-export-process-heading-removal)
>
> This code worked for ignoring the headline with tag "removeheading", and did
> re-numbering all the headlines properly. But:
>
> * Latex New Page :ignoreheading:
> #+latex: \newpage
>
>  Still didn't work which I have no idea at this moment yet. Any idea?

So before parsing, you are getting rid of the "ignoreheading" [fn:1]
headline (first, "promoting" it to a comment and then deleting the
region), so the #+latex: \newpage line now belongs to headline 2
which is then parsed and discarded.

I think you need a filter after parsing (which of course conflicts with
your need in the "Wrong numbering..." thread).

Footnotes:

[fn:1]  there is a "removeheading" vs "ignoreheading" inconsistency,
btw.

* Re: Force new page on exporting
@ 2014-07-01 16:31         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-07-01 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: York Zhao, emacs-orgmode

Aloha John,

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:00 PM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>> Aloha York,
>>
>> York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Thanks Thomas. This works but is not an ideal approach because in a complex file
>>> it may not be so easy to find out the location to insert the "\newpage"
>>> instruction. Plus, each time when inserting new exported tree between
>>> "Headline1" and "Headline2" you would have to remember to move the "\newpage" to
>>> the end of the new tree.
>>

>> Agreed.  Something like this is more visible.
>>
>> * Latex New Page                                 :ignoreheading:
>> #+latex: \newpage
>>

> Clever! I was trying to think of a way to do it within headline 3, but
> get it to break before the actual section heading... this much better.
> One question, say the following occurs:
>
> * Heading 1     :export: ...
> * Heading 2
> * Latex New Page     :ignoreheading:export:
> #+latex: \newpage
>
> * Heading 3     :export: ...
>
> Say that with \maketitle and possible TOC, Heading 1 ends exactly on
> the last line of page 1. Won't the \newpage command create a full
> blank page on page 2, with Heading 3 starting on page 3?
>
> Rare situation, but just thought I'd inquire about the possibility.

I don't think this is a problem.  The LaTeX \newpage command requires
some content on the page before it will work.  If it is the first thing
on the page, then no new page is created.

All the best,
Tom
--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Force new page on exporting
@ 2014-07-01 16:59               ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2014-07-01 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> So before parsing, you are getting rid of the "ignoreheading" headline (first,
> "promoting" it to a comment and then deleting the region), so the #+latex:
> \newpage line now belongs to headline 2 which is then parsed and discarded.

Really great catch Nick, exactly as what you pointed out. Saved me some time on
investigating, thanks.

> I think you need a filter after parsing (which of course conflicts with
> your need in the "Wrong numbering..." thread).

Yes, like you said before, using filter is too late because the contents is
already LaTeX content and it's impossible to prompt the tree any more.

> [fn:1] there is a "removeheading" vs "ignoreheading" inconsistency, btw.

I'm sorry for the confusion. I changed the tag name from "ignoreheadline" to
"remomeheading" in my implementation.

@Thomas,

I was using `org-export-filter-headline-functions' before but like Nick and I
said, it was not capable of promoting the subtree after removing the headline,
which is why I discarded it and used my implementation.

Maybe I will implement some addition machinery in the
"org-export-before-parsing-hook" when I get some time to handle this new page
thing. I will update here once that gets done.

* Re: Force new page on exporting
@ 2014-07-01 18:22                 ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2014-07-01 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

OK, hacked `org-export-filter-headline-functions' and added the facility to
force exporting a headline on new page by adding a new tag "newpage" to the
headline. Here is the code:

(defun yz/org-export-headline-on-new-page (contents backend info)
  "Export headlines with tag `newpage' on new pages."
  (when (org-export-derived-backend-p backend 'latex)
    (with-temp-buffer
      (insert contents)
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (let ((case-fold-search t))
        (when (re-search-forward "^\\\\section{.*\\(\\\\.*{newpage}\\).*\n"
                                                 nil 'noerror)
          (replace-match "" nil nil nil 1) ; Delete the "newpage" tag
          (forward-line -1)
          (insert "\\newpage\n")
          (setq contents (buffer-substring (point-min) (point-max))))))))

@ 2014-07-03 16:55                   ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2014-07-03 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode