On Tuesday, 2019-11-26 at 14:57:28 -07, Sean Whitton wrote: > On Tue 26 Nov 2019 at 08:05PM +00, David Edmondson wrote: > >> Could you explain how you were using `notmuch-show-thread-id' in a way >> that was broken by the presence of an arbitrary query? > > I've observed that the standard notmuch command > `notmuch-show-filter-thread' doesn't work in a buffer opened by > `org-notmuch-follow-link'. The poor behaviour is just a side effect of the way that queries are composed to implement the filter functionality. Does the attached patch help? > Further, my package 'mailscripts' tries to pass the current value of > `notmuch-show-thread-id' to notmuch-extract-patch(1). > > https://git.spwhitton.name/mailscripts/tree/mailscripts.el#n72 > > https://manpages.debian.org/notmuch-extract-patch > > If `notmuch-show-thread-id' contains a query which returns a single > message, the wrong value is passed to notmuch-extract-patch(1), such > that it may not extract all of the patches in the thread. It's not clear to me that this is broken. notmuch-extract-patch seems to be properly extracting patches from the messages that match the query. If the current `notmuch-show' buffer query doesn't match the entire thread, why should `notmuch-extract-thread-patches' be expected to apply patches from the whole thread?