* ANN: org-mac-protocol : AppleScripts to invoke org-protocol from various applications
@ 2009-07-20 17:57 Christopher Suckling
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2009-07-20 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

All,

This is essentially a rewrite of my org-annotate-quicksilver suite of
scripts for compatibility
with org-protocol with a major improvement: Quicksilver is no longer required.

Launch the scripts from the Script menu in the menu bar or from your
favourite script launcher
(including Quicksilver, of course!).

Three modes of operation:

org-link: create an org-mode link to the selected document, file or application
org-remember: pop up a small remember frame initialized with links
and, where possible,
content from the selected document, file or application.
org-note: pop up a small remember frame for quick note taking
independent of current
application.

Currently supported apps are:

Finder
Safari
Skim
BibDesk
Terminal

In the works are:

Office
iCal
iTunes
iPhoto

Full documentation and downloads from:

http://claviclaws.net/org

As always, bug reports (I don't have a wide range of systems to test
on) and improvements
welcome.

Best wishes,

Christopher

* Re: ANN: org-mac-protocol : AppleScripts to invoke org-protocol from various applications
@ 2009-07-20 18:03 ` Greg Newman
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Greg Newman @ 2009-07-20 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Suckling; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Awesome Chris, thanks!  Now I don't have to finish my safari > org-protocol
script.I'll give this a try this evening and report back.  Is this on github
by chance?

*Greg Newman*

http://20seven.org

twitter: 20seven

@ 2009-07-20 18:05   ` Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2009-07-20 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Newman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Greg Newman<greg@20seven.org> wrote:
> Awesome Chris, thanks!  Now I don't have to finish my safari > org-protocol
> script.
> I'll give this a try this evening and report back.  Is this on github by
> chance?

Not yet; I've yet to start playing with that. Maybe late tonight!

Today's toy was creating an OS X package installer, but all sources are on
the dmg, just in case...

Best, Christopher

* Re: ANN: org-mac-protocol : AppleScripts to invoke org-protocol from various applications
@ 2009-07-20 21:10 ` Austin Frank
From: Austin Frank @ 2009-07-20 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jul 20 2009, Christopher Suckling wrote:

> [...]
>
> Currently supported apps are:
>
> Finder

Christopher--

Thanks!  This looks really interesting.  Is there any way to use
applescript to track change in application focus?  I'd be interested in
logging when I change to or away from each application, and having that
time tracking information available from within org.  Does this seem
possible?

Thanks,
/au

--
Austin Frank
http://aufrank.net

* Re: ANN: org-mac-protocol : AppleScripts to invoke org-protocol from various applications
@ 2009-07-20 22:42 ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2009-07-20 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Suckling; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Chris,Just a note, the package tried to install by default to my root dir
and failed.  I changed it to ~/ and it then installed.  Not sure if you can
make something else the default or have it ask for roots password.  I almost
didn't see the option to change the install location.

Giving this a try now...

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Christopher Suckling <
suckling.list@googlemail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> This is essentially a rewrite of my org-annotate-quicksilver suite of
> scripts for compatibility
> with org-protocol with a major improvement: Quicksilver is no longer
> required.
>
> Launch the scripts from the Script menu in the menu bar or from your
> favourite script launcher
> (including Quicksilver, of course!).
>
> Three modes of operation:
>
> org-link: create an org-mode link to the selected document, file or
> application
> org-remember: pop up a small remember frame initialized with links
> and, where possible,
> content from the selected document, file or application.
> org-note: pop up a small remember frame for quick note taking
> independent of current
> application.
>
> Currently supported apps are:
>
> Finder
> Safari
> Skim
> BibDesk
> Terminal
>
> In the works are:
>
> Office
> iCal
> iTunes
> iPhoto
>
> Full documentation and downloads from:
>
> http://claviclaws.net/org
>
> As always, bug reports (I don't have a wide range of systems to test
> on) and improvements
> welcome.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Christopher

* Re: ANN: org-mac-protocol : AppleScripts to invoke org-protocol from various applications
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-07-20 23:04 ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2009-07-20 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Suckling; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hmm, Chris.No matter what I do I always get "Required feature
`org-mac-protocol' was not provided" when I re-eval.  I can load-file fine
but when I add it to my configs, before or after org-mode it always barks at
me.

@ 2009-07-20 23:11   ` Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2009-07-20 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Newman; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:42 PM, Greg Newman<greg@20seven.org> wrote:
> Chris,
> Just a note, the package tried to install by default to my root dir and
> failed.  I changed it to ~/ and it then installed.  Not sure if you can make
> something else the default or have it ask for roots password.  I almost
> didn't see the option to change the install location.
> Giving this a try now...

Thanks. I've since found that the install in home directory option on
the latest version of PackageMaker is a 10.5 only option. Is that the
problem?

Everything necessary should be in the sources directory anyway.

And also now on github:

git://github.com/claviclaws/org-mac-protocol.git

@ 2009-07-20 23:36   ` Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2009-07-20 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Newman; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:04 AM, Greg Newman<greg@20seven.org> wrote:
> Hmm, Chris.
> No matter what I do I always get "Required feature `org-mac-protocol' was
> not provided" when I re-eval.  I can load-file fine but when I add it to my
> configs, before or after org-mode it always barks at me.

Urrrgh. Stupid typo, but I'd already evaled the buffer when testing
and didn't notice.

Last line should read:

(require 'org-mac-protocol)

NOT

(require 'org-mac-protocol.el)

Putting together updated release now...

C.

* Re: ANN: org-mac-protocol : AppleScripts to invoke org-protocol from various applications
@ 2009-07-20 23:59     ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2009-07-20 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Suckling; +Cc: Org Mode List

I was actually doing it right Chris (require 'org-mac-protocol).  I hadn't
noticed a typo.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Christopher Suckling <

@ 2009-07-21  0:14       ` Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2009-07-21  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Newman; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Greg Newman<greg@20seven.org> wrote:

> I was actually doing it right Chris (require 'org-mac-protocol).  I hadn't
> noticed a typo.

It's genuinely working for me now; restarted computer and everything!

If you could have one more shot with what I uploaded a couple of
minutes ago (web or git), and report back, I'd be most grateful, but
for now I'm off to bed. I'm losing track of which files I've moved
where...

Christopher

* Re: Re: ANN: org-mac-protocol : AppleScripts to invoke org-protocol from various applications
@ 2009-08-02  8:48   ` Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2009-08-02  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Frank; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 17:10:38 -0400, Austin Frank <austin.frank@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks!  This looks really interesting.  Is there any way to use
> applescript to track change in application focus?  I'd be interested in
> logging when I change to or away from each application, and having that
> time tracking information available from within org.  Does this seem
> possible?

org-(mac)-protocol is certainly the mechanism to get the information
into org-mode, but I'm not sure that AppleScript is the best way of
tracking application focus. To be honest, my AppleScript is even more
cludgy than my elisp, but from what I understand, the best that can be
done is to write a script that makes a call every, say, 10 seconds to
check which window is in focus.

I'll put it on my todo list, but please don't hold your breath - I've
just entered a hellishly busy four months.

Christopher