* org mode and eev
@ 2013-11-04 13:19 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-11-04 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

I finally took the time to watch the eev video
(http://angg.twu.net/eev-videos/video2.mp4) and I'm quite impressed by
it. I find it may be redundant for some features of org mode (such as
basic links to files) but I find the driving of external shell-based
programs very nice. As I've seen it mentioned on this list before, I was
wondering if some of you use it in addition to org mode.

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: org mode and eev
@ 2013-11-07  9:33 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-11-07  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello Alan,

Alan Schmitt wrote:
> I finally took the time to watch the eev video
> (http://angg.twu.net/eev-videos/video2.mp4) and I'm quite impressed by
> it. I find it may be redundant for some features of org mode (such as
> basic links to files) but I find the driving of external shell-based
> programs very nice. As I've seen it mentioned on this list before, I was
> wondering if some of you use it in addition to org mode.

I've always dreamed of being able to use it from Org, to document deployment
procedures (for example), and execute them.

With Org only, we're not far when we execute sh code blocks in a session.
Though, it's possible there must be missing things.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: org mode and eev
@ 2013-11-08  2:30   ` Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2013-11-08  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: Org Mode

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com>wrote:

> Hello Alan,
>
> Alan Schmitt wrote:
> > I finally took the time to watch the eev video
> > (http://angg.twu.net/eev-videos/video2.mp4) and I'm quite impressed by
> > it. I find it may be redundant for some features of org mode (such as
> > basic links to files) but I find the driving of external shell-based
> > programs very nice. As I've seen it mentioned on this list before, I was
> > wondering if some of you use it in addition to org mode.
>
> I've always dreamed of being able to use it from Org, to document
> deployment
> procedures (for example), and execute them.
>
> With Org only, we're not far when we execute sh code blocks in a session.
> Though, it's possible there must be missing things.
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb
>
> --
> Sebastien Vauban

Hello all,

I am the author of eev...  How can I help?

I still know far less about org-mode than I would like to - maybe
because I have been using Emacs in a very idiosyncratic way for ages
8-\ - but it seems trivial to create code blocks that can be executed
by both org and eev. Here is a example - just replace each "*"
below with a real char 15.

1. Execute the code block below with org's `C-c C-c':

* (eepitch-shell)
* (eepitch-kill)
* (eepitch-shell)
#+begin_src sh
rm -Rv /tmp/eev/
mkdir  /tmp/eev/
cd     /tmp/eev/
wget http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eev2.tgz
tar -xvzf eev2.tgz
#+end_src

;; 2. Eval this to activate eev-mode:
(progn (add-to-list 'load-path "/tmp/eev/")
       (require 'eev2-all)
       (eev-mode 1))

;; 3. Now the "char 15"s will be displayed as red star glyphs, and the
;; code block above can be executed both with org's `C-c C-c' and with
;; eev's <f8>. Try to type <f8> on each line below, starting on the
;; first one with the "(eepitch-shell)":

* (eepitch-shell)
* (eepitch-kill)
* (eepitch-shell)
#+begin_src sh
rm -Rv /tmp/eev/
mkdir  /tmp/eev/
cd     /tmp/eev/
wget http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eev2.tgz
tar -xvzf eev2.tgz
#+end_src

;; 4. Now links like these should work - note that it is possible to
;; "follow" them with `M-e' and to "go back" with `M-k', as explained
;; here: http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-eval-intro.html
;;
;;   (find-eepitch-intro)
;;   (find-eval-intro)
;;   (eek "M-5 M-j")

Cheers,
  Eduardo Ochs
  eduardoochs@gmail.com
  http://angg.twu.net/#eev
  http://angg.twu.net/eev-videos/video4-eepitch.mp4

* Re: org mode and eev
@ 2013-11-08  8:29     ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-11-08  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Ochs; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, Org Mode

Hi Eduardo,

eduardoochs@gmail.com writes:

> I am the author of eev...

Nice! I knew I had seen you around here ;-)

> How can I help?

Your message already answered one question I had, but I have still one
pending.

> I still know far less about org-mode than I would like to - maybe
> because I have been using Emacs in a very idiosyncratic way for ages
> 8-\ - but it seems trivial to create code blocks that can be executed
> by both org and eev. Here is a example - just replace each "*"
> below with a real char 15.

This was my first question: '*' are not '*' so they won't interfere with
org-mode. This is great. (Quick question: how do I enter such a char 15
star?)

> ;; 3. Now the "char 15"s will be displayed as red star glyphs, and the
> ;; code block above can be executed both with org's `C-c C-c' and with
> ;; eev's <f8>. Try to type <f8> on each line below, starting on the
> ;; first one with the "(eepitch-shell)":
>
> * (eepitch-shell)
> * (eepitch-kill)
> * (eepitch-shell)
> #+begin_src sh
> rm -Rv /tmp/eev/
> mkdir  /tmp/eev/
> cd     /tmp/eev/
> wget http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eev2.tgz
> tar -xvzf eev2.tgz
> #+end_src

This works great because '#' is a comment prefix for shell, so the
begin_src lines won't be processed. I want to use eev with other
toplevels, and so I cannot rely on this. Is it possible to tweak eepitch
so that lines starting with #+begin_src and #+end_src are not sent at
all?

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: org mode and eev