* [Babel] Bug reading example blocks?
@ 2013-11-22 17:37 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-11-22 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Aloha all,

Responding to a query by Gary Oberbrunner, I tried to point out the use
of example blocks to name arbitrary pieces of text. What I found is that
the example block isn't passed whole to a babel source block--whitespace
is removed from the first line.

* Whitespace on first line of example block removed

#+name: example
#+begin_example
 1. this is the first line
 2. this is the second line with %VARIANT% as the value
 3. this is the third line
#+end_example

#+name: repeated-text
#+header: :var x=""
#+header: :var eg=""
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (let ((result))
    (setf result (replace-regexp-in-string "%VARIANT%" x eg t))
    result)
#+end_src

#+call: repeated-text(x="foo",eg=example) :results raw

#+results:
1. this is the first line
 2. this is the second line with foo as the value
 3. this is the third line

This happens, AFAICT, regardless of the value of
org-src-preserve-indentation.

Is there a reason for this? Or, is it a bug? Or, am I going about this
task in the wrong way?

All the best,
Tom
--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: [Babel] Bug reading example blocks?
@ 2014-02-14  0:20 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-02-14  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

hi thomas,

is this still a bug?

samuel

On 11/22/13, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> Aloha all,
>
> Responding to a query by Gary Oberbrunner, I tried to point out the use
> of example blocks to name arbitrary pieces of text. What I found is that
> the example block isn't passed whole to a babel source block--whitespace
> is removed from the first line.
>
> * Whitespace on first line of example block removed
>
> #+name: example
> #+begin_example
>  1. this is the first line
>  2. this is the second line with %VARIANT% as the value
>  3. this is the third line
> #+end_example
>
> #+name: repeated-text
> #+header: :var x=""
> #+header: :var eg=""
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (let ((result))
>     (setf result (replace-regexp-in-string "%VARIANT%" x eg t))
>     result)
> #+end_src
>
> #+call: repeated-text(x="foo",eg=example) :results raw
>
> #+results:
> 1. this is the first line
>  2. this is the second line with foo as the value
>  3. this is the third line
>
> This happens, AFAICT, regardless of the value of
> org-src-preserve-indentation.
>
> Is there a reason for this? Or, is it a bug? Or, am I going about this
> task in the wrong way?
>
> All the best,
> Tom
> --
> Thomas S. Dye
> http://www.tsdye.com

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: [Babel] Bug reading example blocks?
@ 2014-02-24  0:37   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-02-24  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Samuel,

I think not.  I get these results now:

#+call: repeated-text(x="foo",eg=example) :results raw

#+results:
1. this is the first line
2. this is the second line with foo as the value
3. this is the third line

All the best,
Tom

> hi thomas,
>
> is this still a bug?
>
> samuel
>

> On 11/22/13, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>> Aloha all,
>>
>> Responding to a query by Gary Oberbrunner, I tried to point out the use
>> of example blocks to name arbitrary pieces of text. What I found is that
>> the example block isn't passed whole to a babel source block--whitespace
>> is removed from the first line.
>>
>> * Whitespace on first line of example block removed
>>
>> #+name: example
>> #+begin_example
>>  1. this is the first line
>>  2. this is the second line with %VARIANT% as the value
>>  3. this is the third line
v>> #+end_example

--

@ 2014-02-24  1:31     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-02-24  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Thomas,

I guess the fix hasn't made it to maint yet.

#+call: repeated-text(eg=example) :results raw

#+RESULTS:
1. this is the first line
  2. this is the second line with %VARIANT% as the value
  3. this is the third line

#+name: repeated-text
#+begin_src sh :results verbatim output :var eg=1
  {
      cat<<EOF
  $eg
  EOF
  } 2>&1
  :
#+end_src

#+name: example
#+begin_example
  1. this is the first line
  2. this is the second line with %VARIANT% as the value
  3. this is the third line
#+end_example

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY
can get it as far as we know.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.