* Two org-remember bugs in 5.07
@ 2007-09-05 16:08 Tassilo Horn
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-09-05 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I think I've discovered two problems with org's remember integration.
Sadly I use 5.07 since 5.08 hasn't been incorporated Emacs trunk yet.

Here's my remember setup:

(setq org-default-notes-file "~/org/main.org"
      org-remember-default-headline "Remember"
      org-remember-templates '(;; TODOs
                               (?t "* TODO %?\n(created: %U)\n%i\n%a")
                               ;; Ideas
                               (?i "* Idea: %^{Title}\n(created: %U)\n%?\n%i\n%a")
                               ;; Notes
                               (?n "* Note: %?\n(created: %U)\n%i\n%a")))

(setq remember-annotation-functions     '(org-remember-annotation)
      remember-handler-functions        '(org-remember-handler)
      org-remember-store-without-prompt t)

(add-hook 'remember-mode-hook 'org-remember-apply-template)

The file ~/org/main.org is my only org file.  It starts with

* Remember
#+CATEGORY: Remember
** TODO ...

and several level-1 headlines and categories follow.  When I file an
item with remember, it should be added as subitem to the "* Remember"
headline.

Bug 1: That doesn't happen.  The new TODO, idea or note is appended to
  the file.  It's always the last entry of the last headline.  I also
  tried letting org-remember-default-headline at its default value ""
  and used remember templates like

      (?t "* TODO %?\n(created: %U)\n%i\n%a" nil "Remember")

  but that makes no difference.  I also tried using "* Remember" as
  headline, but still no luck.

Bug 2: The docs say

  ,----[ (info "(org)Storing notes") ]
  | If the variable `org-adapt-indentation' is non-nil, the entire
  | text is also indented so that it starts in the same column as the
  | headline (after the asterisks).
  `----

  but that doesn't happen, although its value is t.  For example a todo
  made with the remember template above results in something like this.

** TODO test
(created: [2007-09-05 Wed 18:02])

[[info:org:Storing%20notes][org:Storing notes]]

  I would expect the "(created..." and the link to be aligned with the
  headline.  I inserted spaces after the \n in the template, because the
  doc-string of `org-adapt-indentation' says that column 0 entries in
  the body won't be aligned, but then only the single space is inserted,
  resulting in

** TODO test
 (created: [2007-09-05 Wed 18:02])

 [[info:org:Storing%20notes][org:Storing notes]]

I'll check if the problem still persists with 5.08 as soon as it's
included in the emacs trunk.  Please ping me when that's done.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Two org-remember bugs in 5.07
@ 2007-09-06 13:23 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-06 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

What happens if you leave an empty line before the "* Remember" line?

- Carsten

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Two org-remember bugs in 5.07
@ 2007-09-06 13:35   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-09-06 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

Hi Carsten,

> What happens if you leave an empty line before the "* Remember" line?

It works as it should. ;-)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Tom Clancy has to pay royalties  to Chuck Norris because "The Sum of All
Fears" is the name of Chuck Norris' autobiography.

* Re: Two org-remember bugs in 5.07
@ 2007-09-07  8:04 ` Carsten Dominik
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-07  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 5, 2007, at 18:08, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think I've discovered two problems with org's remember integration.
> Sadly I use 5.07 since 5.08 hasn't been incorporated Emacs trunk yet.

Yes, synching up with Emacs costs me extra time since my
development version lives on my computer, not in Emacs.
I have to make sure that no changes have been made in the
Emacs CVS by someone else, and I need to have clean ChangeLog entries
each time I commit.

Since I am not allowed to install new features into the 22.2 branch, and
since it will be at least a year (well, maybe several years) before
Emacs 23 will be release with an upgraded version of org.el, this
seems a relatively pointless exercise for now and not worth my
time (which is stretched to and sometimes beyond the limits of what
I can contribute to an open-source project).

Solutions:

- Grab the script that was published here for local installation of
   the lates org-mode version with a single command.

- Someone with Emacs write acces and a bit of time on his/her hand
   could take over the task of keeping the Emacs version up to date.
   Volunteers?

Sorry.

- Carsten

* Re: Two org-remember bugs in 5.07
@ 2007-09-07 10:10   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-07 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-09-07 09:04 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Sep 5, 2007, at 18:08, Tassilo Horn wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think I've discovered two problems with org's remember integration.
>> Sadly I use 5.07 since 5.08 hasn't been incorporated Emacs trunk yet.
>
> Yes, synching up with Emacs costs me extra time since my
> development version lives on my computer, not in Emacs.
> I have to make sure that no changes have been made in the
> Emacs CVS by someone else, and I need to have clean ChangeLog entries
> each time I commit.
>
> Since I am not allowed to install new features into the 22.2 branch, and
> since it will be at least a year (well, maybe several years) before
> Emacs 23 will be release with an upgraded version of org.el, this
> seems a relatively pointless exercise for now and not worth my
> time (which is stretched to and sometimes beyond the limits of what
> I can contribute to an open-source project).
>
> Solutions:
>
> - Grab the script that was published here for local installation of
>   the lates org-mode version with a single command.
>
> - Someone with Emacs write acces and a bit of time on his/her hand
>   could take over the task of keeping the Emacs version up to date.
>   Volunteers?
>
> Sorry.
>
> - Carsten

I totally agree with Carsten. Since he is the key (only?) developer of
org, I'd rather he spending his precious time improving or polishing org
instead of wasting time in those bureaucracies.

--
Leo <sdl.web AT gmail.com>                (GPG Key: 9283AA3F)

      Gnus is one component of the Emacs operating system.

* Re: Two org-remember bugs in 5.07
@ 2007-09-07 12:53 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-07 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 5, 2007, at 18:08, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Bug 2: The docs say
>
>   ,----[ (info "(org)Storing notes") ]
>   | If the variable `org-adapt-indentation' is non-nil, the entire
>   | text is also indented so that it starts in the same column as the
>   | headline (after the asterisks).
>   `----
>
>   but that doesn't happen, although its value is t.  For example a todo
>   made with the remember template above results in something like this.

Yes, the doc is not very accurate here.  When org-adapt-indentation is
set,
this will happen:

If inserting your note into the outline tree requires changing the
number of stars, the indentation of the text below the headline
is modified along with adding the stars in the headline.

However, there is one catch, which you will find if you check the
documentation of the variable `org-adapt-indentation'.
For this to work, *all* lines need already to have some indentation.

So you need to set up your templates such that the indentation
is already there, so add 2 spaces at the beginning of each template
line.

- Carsten

* Re: Two org-remember bugs in 5.07
@ 2007-09-07 14:02   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-09-07 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

Hi Carsten,

> Solutions:
>
> - Grab the script that was published here for local installation of
>   the lates org-mode version with a single command.

Ok, I'll do that.

> - Someone with Emacs write acces and a bit of time on his/her hand
>   could take over the task of keeping the Emacs version up to date.
>   Volunteers?

I think it would be quite hard for a non-Carsten to write good ChangLog
entries by looking at the diffs.  So I think it's not worth it.

@ 2007-09-07 14:08   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-09-07 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

Hi Carsten,

>>   ,----[ (info "(org)Storing notes") ]
>>   | If the variable `org-adapt-indentation' is non-nil, the entire
>>   | text is also indented so that it starts in the same column as the
>>   | headline (after the asterisks).
>>   `----
>>
>>   but that doesn't happen, although its value is t.  For example a
>>   todo made with the remember template above results in something
>>   like this.
>
> Yes, the doc is not very accurate here.  When org-adapt-indentation is
> set, this will happen:
>
> If inserting your note into the outline tree requires changing the
> number of stars, the indentation of the text below the headline is
> modified along with adding the stars in the headline.
>
> However, there is one catch, which you will find if you check the
> documentation of the variable `org-adapt-indentation'.  For this to
> work, *all* lines need already to have some indentation.

So an empty line (with not spaces) will prevent indentation, too?

> So you need to set up your templates such that the indentation is
> already there, so add 2 spaces at the beginning of each template line.

Yes, this works.

Thanks,
Tassilo
--
      "OS's and GUI's come and go, only Emacs has lasting power."
          Per Abrahamsen in <rjbsysc7n1.fsf@zuse.dina.kvl.dk>

* Re: Re: Two org-remember bugs in 5.07
@ 2007-09-07 14:10     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-07 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 7, 2007, at 16:02, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
> Hi Carsten,
>
>> Solutions:
>>
>> - Grab the script that was published here for local installation of
>>   the lates org-mode version with a single command.
>
> Ok, I'll do that.
>
>> - Someone with Emacs write acces and a bit of time on his/her hand
>>   could take over the task of keeping the Emacs version up to date.
>>   Volunteers?
>
> I think it would be quite hard for a non-Carsten to write good ChangLog
> entries by looking at the diffs.  So I think it's not worth it.

That would not be required.  I am writing Change logs.
But they are scattered of the dyas, different org files mixed,
they have to be sorted and put to a single date when checking the
changes into emacs.

- Carsten

* Re: Two org-remember bugs in 5.07
@ 2007-09-07 20:02   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2007-09-07 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> - Someone with Emacs write acces and a bit of time on his/her hand
>   could take over the task of keeping the Emacs version up to date.
>   Volunteers?

I'll volunteer.  It will simply be a copy and commit, right?

John

* Re: Two org-remember bugs in 5.07
@ 2007-09-07 20:45     ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2007-09-07 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Wiegley <johnw@newartisans.com> writes:

>> - Someone with Emacs write acces and a bit of time on his/her hand
>>   could take over the task of keeping the Emacs version up to date.
>>   Volunteers?
>
> I'll volunteer.  It will simply be a copy and commit, right?

Org-mode 5.08 has been checked into Emacs CVS.

John

* Re: Two org-remember bugs in 5.07
@ 2007-09-07 20:46     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-07 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 7, 2007, at 22:02, John Wiegley wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> - Someone with Emacs write acces and a bit of time on his/her hand
>>   could take over the task of keeping the Emacs version up to date.
>>   Volunteers?
>
> I'll volunteer.  It will simply be a copy and commit, right?

Plus patching any changes that happend inside Emacs (usually nothing),
and making me aware of those changes (sending me the diff?)

Sometimes I am lazy with Change log entries, will try to get better.
Also I will bundle ChangeLog with the distribution, so that these
can be copied into the Emacs ChangeLog.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

- Carsten

* Re: Two org-remember bugs in 5.07
@ 2007-09-07 21:12       ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2007-09-07 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Plus patching any changes that happend inside Emacs (usually nothing),
> and making me aware of those changes (sending me the diff?)

The most recent changes were by you, so I'm assuming they were in 5.08.

John

* Re: Re: Two org-remember bugs in 5.07
@ 2007-09-10  1:00     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-09-10  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

hi,

   > - Someone with Emacs write acces and a bit of time on his/her hand
   >   could take over the task of keeping the Emacs version up to date.
   >   Volunteers?

   I think it would be quite hard for a non-Carsten to write good ChangLog
   entries by looking at the diffs.  So I think it's not worth it.

I second this. I think syncing from time to time with TRUNK,
maybe every major Org's releases is the best option. I, even if I
am using 23.0.50, download a separate org.el file for each release.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org